Trump wants to delay election

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant
    Andrew
    Participant

Not a surprise at all. Still, even if he tried, he can’t change the date of an election. Congress sets the date of the election. Even Mitch McConnell and Liz Cheney said today that the election date won’t be changed.

This is just posturing – trying to set a narrative for his defeat in which he challenges everything.

I say we double down and start a movement to move the election FORWARD – say to September 1, 2020. (This would be completely impossible – I know, not the point.) Get millions of people to sign a petition: yes, MOVE THE ELECTION EARLIER! Give us plenty of time to count the ballots!

Trump of course will never support this – so after he loses November 3 we can say, “But we tried to move it earlier to have enough time to do everything perfectly, and you didn’t support it…”

Andrew
    Participant

A much bigger worry is Trump’s attempt to rig the election by disrupting the USPS and slowing it down, so it will take longer to count all of those mail-in ballots. Trump’s goal is that there won’t be 270 electors voting for Biden on December 14. If he can sue in five or six states and challenge the election results after November 3 so that some states Biden won won’t be able to submit 270 electors by December 14.

If Biden doesn’t have 270 electoral votes, then the election would be decided by Congress (the NEXT one). But it’s not a simple majority vote; it’s a vote of all fifty state delegations. If 26 of 50 of the House state delegations are controlled by Republicans, then Trump will win, even if the House is still controlled by the House.

Democrats of course could simply refuse to hold a vote if they control the chamber. And then Trump’s and Pence’s terms would end January 20. It’s possible that at that point the Speaker of the House becomes the “acting president.” Would be a crazy, scary time in any event.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Is it the Chinese that have the saying “may you live in interesting times”.

I think we may have reason to steal it from them.

Andrew
    Participant

Here’s another thought: the House can make ANYONE Speaker of the House. Doesn’t have to be a member of Congress! Could be you or me…or Joe Biden! So the Democrats could simply vote in Biden as their Speaker before January 20, and when Trump’s term expires, Biden as Speaker becomes president. Assuming he has won the popular vote easily and more than 270 electoral votes other than Trump challenging the results to slow things down, he’d be legitimate, too except among Trump apologists. (I’m not suggesting the Democrats try to appoint a president who hasn’t just won in 2020.)

Biden as new president would then nominate a new vice president under the Constitution, to be ratified by Congress.

paulwalker
    Participant

I see Trump is now backing down from his earlier comments because his advisors told him it would hurt him in November. Of course our current President doesn’t have a clue as usual but now that the election is nearing he will listen to them.

semoochie
    Participant

Slightly off topic but Deane, here’s something I pulled
    from today’s radio history:

1987 1260 Radio, Inc. (Deane Johnson) sold KCYX to Matrix Media, Inc. for $681,812. (Michael Symons).

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Andrew-

Those are some very interesting scenario’s you bring up. It’s such a crazy time, they might just happen.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.