Trump says Uncle to the last debate

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Trump on the Commission for Presidential Debates: It’s a ‘Rigged Deal’ and ‘I’m Done’

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-on-the-commission-for-presidential-debates-it%E2%80%99s-a-%E2%80%98rigged-deal%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98i%E2%80%99m-done%E2%80%99/ar-AAiSgd1?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

LOL. Trump is literally exploding before our eyes.

My hope is this leads to a massive down ballot effect which allows the Dems control of the Senate and the House. If that happens, watch out!!!!!!

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

It’s looking that way.

The leadership call with Paul Ryan yesterday was sounding the fire alarm on that very subject.

The GOP is, correctly, in a full blown panic.

edselehr
    Participant

The only question left is: What will rise from the ashes of what was once the Republican Party? I’m dead serious. The future of our country, and the future of a vibrant two-party system of politics is at stake.

duxrule
    Participant

It’s not written anywhere that we HAVE to have two parties, and parties have come and gone over our history. If this is the end of the GOP, good riddance to bad rubbish. I for one, would like to see some alternatives to this paleologic situation that we have now. This current situation exists ONLY to preserve the two parties we have now. It’s time to break up the duoply.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have been thinking more and more about my 12th grade US government class, which took place possibly in the most interesting year possible–1992. The message that the teacher presented (in my opinion, somewhat to her chagrin) was that the American political system is structured in a way that resists change. At the top, she said, we see that Presidents are all older White men with Anglo-Saxon family names. Though not intentionally designed in, only two parties are serious contenders for the Presidency in any given election (George Washington was an independent and vehemently opposed the idea of political parties). Per that lesson, neither Barak Obama nor Hillary Clinton would have been electable. However, she also said that Ross Perot was not electable–and not even worthy of consideration–due to his status as an outsider to the two party system, and that has still held true.

I have also been thinking about my own political journey–I was an independent for years and joined the Libertarian Party for about five years. I attended a few of the national conventions. As an insider, I saw many neophytes, many people with pet issues, and many inflexible ideologues. Perhaps, in American politics, the rigid people who can’t accept compromise end up joining minor parties, thus helping to make them more rigid. The result is that these parties produce unelectable candidates, platforms that are long laundry lists of pet issues, and positions that are overall PR nightmares. For example (and this came up at the 2008 convention), a common question that voters might ask of candidates is, “what would you do about education?” The only “Libertarian appropriate” answers seemed to be encouraging the launch of private schools and charter schools. I saw much time being spent on debating meeting minutes and Robert’s Rules of order, efforts to shame and discredit party members, lecturing of people whose beliefs weren’t pure enough, and flawed logic (i.e. tin foil hat wearing). The infighting that I witnessed made me realize how somebody could support Libertarian economic ideas yet have ruthless dictatorial tendencies (think of Pinochet in Chile). Eventually, I accepted that there is more to life, and I quit the party. I couldn’t save it, and I might as well let other people have fun spinning their wheels.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The first step to modernize politics is to get rid of the big money. Overturning the recent decision by the SCOTUS (Citizen’s United) is the best biggest first step in that direction. It will be difficult because once a politician gets on the money train it’s difficult to break the addiction.

Also, it won’t stop demagogues with lots of money like drumpf to run or at least organize and begin a compaign. In fact, it may even with campaign finance reform be impossible to stop people like drumpf from trying to buy elections unless not only is Citizens United overturned but also replaced with a mechanism that truly limits what any candidate can spend.

Political Action Committees should not be allowed at all, at least not in their current form.

drumpf, like Ronald Ray-gun, is using his TV exposure and name recognition. It worked well for drumpf in the primaries, but once he became the nominee the microscope began to focus on him and the results have all but destroyed any serious chances he might have had. Reagan succeeded all the way to the White House but unlike drumpf, he started by winning California’s governatorship. By the time Reagan became president, he had both his Hollywood exposure and real political experience (good and bad). Also Ronnie was squeaky clean. drumpf on the other hand is so flawed it’s not even funny.

Take all the money away from both parties and the Dems still have a huge advantage. They have the media working for them, even in the “debates.” There is no more journalism–just Democrat operatives disguised as reporters.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Conservative corporations own the media, dippy.

skeptical
    Participant

Can’t find another source re: turnip quitting the last debate.

edselehr
    Participant

Dux, as long as we have a winner-take-all system (only one winner per election, no proportional representation) then we will have a two-party system. It’s called Duverger’s Law.

Andy Brown
    Participant

the bacon bloviate for the morning:

“Take all the money away from both parties and the Dems still have a huge advantage.”

That’s right, ace, but not for the reason you state. No, the reason they have an advantage is that their platform makes sense whereas the GOP platform is a recipe for disaster. The G.O.P. is driven by a regressive, extremist inner core.

drumpf’s anti-Muslim phobia and fantasy wall across the Mexican border are in the platform, front and center, along with highly protectionist views, which deny long-held positions of the party. No less alarming is a raft of planks that ideologues pushed through to banish any notion of moderation and present-day reality from the party’s credo.

This majority of lackluster GOP leaders has triumphed in securing retrograde positions that include making no exceptions for rape or women’s health in cases of abortion; requiring the Bible to be taught in public high schools; selling coal as a “clean” energy source; demanding a return of federal lands to the states; insisting that legislators use religion as a guide in lawmaking; appointing “family values” judges; barring female soldiers from combat; and rejecting the need for stronger gun controls — despite the mass shootings afflicting the nation every week.

The platform also makes homophobia and the denial of basic civil rights to gays, lesbians and transgender people a centerpiece. It repudiates same-sex marriage, despite strong support for this constitutional right in the nation at large. The party invokes “natural marriage” and states’ rights for determining which bathrooms transgender people may use, and it defends merchants who would deny service to gay customers.

Optimists who show up every four years as members of the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay rights group, had to admit this was “the most anti-L.G.B.T. platform in the party’s 162-year history.”

The G.O.P. used to insist it was the “big tent” open to one and all. Now it’s the “big wall” party braced by a destructive platform out of touch with American lives and devoid of the common sense the nation needs for any form of political progress.

Anyway, dream all you want bacon. The chance of drumpf winning is now so low it is teetering on being single digits.

drumpf has fallen way behind in Ohio (11 pts) and Utah, a red state, is now in play. You and dorque should cut your losses (and embarrassment – dorque isn’t capable of being embarrassed but you are) and stop beating on the dead horse.

The road to a happy holiday season for you and your family is to get over this impending GOP disaster and focus on good cheer and holiday spirit. I do wish you and your clan a happy holiday season and healthy New Year. The country will (already has) survived the drumpf campaign and the lesson to be learned is not who controls the media (the people do) but that a demagogue with no moral compass will never succeed in winning a national election. You should thank God for that. I do.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-poll-disaster-down-11-161257163.html

Alfredo_T
    Participant

If it’s any comfort to the Trump-eteers on this forum, I think that the Clinton Presidency will be just “more of the same.” We won’t become the USSR. The various fears that Trump expressed on the campaign trail won’t come to pass. Nobody will have to worry about parking due to every street corner being occupied by a taco truck.

paulwalker
    Participant

As far as Trump backing out of the last debate he did “clarify” His earlier response. Just another example of the disorganized campaign that he is trying to win with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.