Trump is delusional about election

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

This man is sick, and he is not going to be re-elected.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/donald-trump-s-legal-strategy-makes-no-sense-winning-vote-ncna1247841

My gawd, how did this country elect this person? And why do so many still support him? I think inferior intelligence has a lot to do with it.

Andrew
    Participant

I am not disturbed by or surprised by Trump’s behavior. I figured he’d never concede – his ego just can’t handle losing. He has been working hard to create this “election fraud” narrative for months, long before the election. He even did it in 2016 when he assumed he would lose.

What does disturb me is how the rest of the Republican establishment has stuck with Trump and have also refused to acknowledge Biden’s win. They are doing this, I believe, to weaken Biden as much as possible as he takes office. And because the election was so close and Biden barely won, and Republicans did so well in other races on election day they hardly need to feel like they’ve suffered a big electoral setback.

paulwalker
    Participant

Except the election was not that close. Biden’s win was not a landslide but was substantial.

Agreed about gop’s silence. Just political posturing that could backfire.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

They want to keep the base riled up for the upcoming Senate election in Georgia.

Andrew
    Participant

Paul: “Except the election was not that close. Biden’s win was not a landslide but was substantial.”

I guess it depends what you mean by “close.” I mean “close” in terms of actually winning, not the popular vote. I’m taking about the actual votes needed to win each state to win the electoral college.

From my analysis, Biden flipped six states (counting Nebraska-2) that Trump won in 2016 in addition to winning all the states Clinton won. The three states with the most narrow margins are Wisconsin (20,544 vote margin), Arizona (10,377 vote margin), and Georgia (14.172 vote margin) – those vote counts may still change a little, but anyway say about 45,000 votes total in those three states. (In 2016, Trump won PA, MI, and WI by a combined total of about 77,000 votes.)

So say 25,000 of the Biden voters over those three states in the right distribution had voted for Trump instead? Then Trump would have had 269 electoral votes – a tie that would be decided in the House, in his favor.

So to me, a swing of only 25,000 voters seems like a pretty close election. Imagine half a dozen things going better for Trump – not getting Covid, not having a terrible first debate performance, making a few extra campaign stops in Arizona, Wisconsin, and Georgia…or the Libertarian candidate not getting on the ballot in PA, WI, AZ, and GA (the Libertarian candidate got more votes in each of those states than Biden’s margin of victory). Or a Green Party candidate getting on the ballot in those four states (didn’t happen in 2020, so no Jill Stein peel-off votes taken away from Biden). Yeah, 25,000 (or 50,000 votes) going a different way seems really close to me. Trump could easily have won.

paulwalker
    Participant

I get that Andrew. But the final electoral vote will show it wasn’t that close. Current numbers are 306 for Biden and 232 for Trump.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by paulwalker.
    Andrew
    Participant

I think you’re missing my point, Paul. I made that comment in regard to how Congressional Republicans might be feeling after the election. They know like I do that only a few thousand votes in a few states made the difference between Trump and Biden – Trump almost won. It wasn’t a blow-out like 2008. They kept (probably) the Senate and picked up House seats, defying expectations. So they aren’t in a mood to feel chagrined – the voters didn’t punish them at all. They just barely elected Biden. So why feel the need to back down and be nice and recognize Biden’s win? They are just playing hardball.

radiogeek
    Participant

Andrews’s right.

The electoral college was originally designed to have powerful people appointed by states choose the President. It’s now somewhat democratic but still designed to create “certainty” from what could be a close election if simply a nationwide count.

In 2000 had there not been an electoral college, there would have been a call for a nationwide recount. Multiply disaster in FL by every county in the land.

It’s a mixed bag. The system is designed to create a result but sometimes you get a bad result like Dotard.

I’m in agreement with Andrew here, the real unknown is if the GOP will 1) continue to protect Drumpf and deny how much damage has been done to it’s brand 2) treat Biden like they treated Obama.

I hate to be blunt, but the racists in the GOP won’t have the simple automatic reason to thwart Biden this time, as he isn’t black. At some point the GOP has to wake up and realize that they aren’t helping policy any by the way they have behaved in the last decade+, except they might argue that it has paid off. We will see.

Ed

lastday
    Participant

Once Trump has been evicted, he’s not going to stop with his tweeting. He’ll mock everything Biden and Democrats do, many times a day. He’ll encourage his followers to not stand for Democrat policies. He will tell lies and push conspiracy theories. He’ll continue to call this an illegitimate presidency stolen from him by Democrats.

In short, he will never shut up.

I guess that once he leaves office, his Twitter account reverts to “normal” status, which might limit some of the things he can say. But he’ll try anyway. He’ll be the perpetual thorn in Biden’s side and the pot-stirrer of all pot-stirrers.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Until he goes to prison.

Andrew
    Participant

Andy, I think most of us dream of Trump going to prison, but I just don’t see how it will ever happen. He’s likely to pardon himself on the way out the door of every federal crime he’s ever done (though that will be challenged in court). State crimes? Sure, he might be indicted for some state crimes, but he has enough lawyers to tie up the cases for a long time (like he has been able to avoid having his taxes come out, even though a federal judge has already ruled he has to release them – seen them yet? Only the NYT has.)

I suspect he’ll be able to negotiate punishment like a big fine – and probation or something meaningless.

If he is incited in New York, you can bet he’ll be screaming “witch hunt!!!” and mobilizing his supporters outside the courthouses in big, loud, maskless rallies.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I don’t disagree with your or any analysis that predicts he will game the justice system best he can. I am, however, optimistic that he will be up to his eyeballs in litigation sufficient enough to make him uncomfortable enough to consider, as he has already stated, leaving the country. That, in a broad stroke view, is more likely. A prison of self exile may have to do.

I think the silence of the GOP over drumpf’s current game plan is going to hurt them. Too many ifs and whens right now to really draw any conclusions or make any projections.

Andrew
    Participant

Andy, I hope I am wrong and Trump does wind up going to prison or leaving the country (and not running again in 2024!!!).

But I do disagree with you about how going along with Trump yet again over fake election fraud will hurt Republicans. Just look at how they did in the recent elections: even though Trump was able to do even half of what he did ONLY because of backing by Senate Republicans, they weren’t punished at all at the polls. Voters either didn’t understand that GOP elected officials were all complicit in everything Trump did (or didn’t do) – on Covid, locking migrant kids in cages and separating them from their families, bullying people or firing them on Twitter, lying constantly about almost everything – or voters just didn’t care. And that’s a big problem for Democrats going forward I’d say.

paulwalker
    Participant

Here is your Monday afternoon chuckle…

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/11/16/lol

Andy Brown
    Participant

“they weren’t punished at all at the polls.”

Not yet. To those masses that have yet to come to grips with the intensity of the pandemic or the totality of the recession it has caused are bound to have an awakening of sorts here shortly, either when he flees the country or is no longer the principal figure at the top of the political food chain.

I’m a patient man and I just feel that with respect to the drumpf malfeasance and the public reaction, the other shoe hasn’t dropped. Maybe when Joe is inaugurated and drumpf drops to page 2, maybe not. But eventually the drumpfkinites will wake up to the fact that the GOP senate chose party over country. The upcoming Georgia runoffs will be the first test. The GOP is using the usual scare tactics but just the fact that there are two runoffs says a lot about the changes going on. Not to mention Joe flipping a bunch of swing states to the color with a higher frequency.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.