Trump Impeached For 2nd Time

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t see 17 Republicans coming around to to vote to convict Trump. Not a surprise. It’s not about facts or evidence. They care more about their own political careers than about the safety of the country or about protecting our country. Because you know for sure, if Trump could get away with this now with no penalty, then he or someone worse will try again.

lastday
    Participant

Well then. It’s over. Not Guilty. The list of spineless hypocrites who voted Not Guilty follows for your possible future reference.

John Barrasso R-Wyo.
    Marsha Blackburn R-Tenn.
    Roy Blunt R-Mo.
    John Boozman R-Ark.
    Mike Braun R-Ind.
    Shelley Capito R-W.Va.
    John Cornyn R-Texas
    Tom Cotton R-Ark.
    Kevin Cramer R-N.D.
    Mike Crapo R-Idaho
    Ted Cruz R-Texas
    Steve Daines R-Mont.
    Joni Ernst R-Iowa
    Deb Fischer R-Neb.
    Lindsey Graham R-S.C.
    Chuck Grassley R-Iowa
    Bill Hagerty R-Tenn.
    Josh Hawley R-Mo.
    John Hoeven R-N.D.
    Cindy Hyde-Smith R-Miss.
    Jim Inhofe R-Okla.
    Ron Johnson R-Wis.
    John Kennedy R-La.
    James Lankford R-Okla.
    Mike Lee R-Utah
    Cynthia Lummis R-Wyo.
    Roger Marshall R-Kan.
    Mitch McConnell R-Ky.
    Jerry Moran R-Kan.
    Rand Paul R-Ky.
    Rob Portman R-Ohio
    James Risch R-Idaho
    Mike Rounds R-S.D.
    Marco Rubio R-Fla.
    Tim Scott R-S.C.
    Rick Scott R-Fla.
    Richard Shelby R-Ala.
    Dan Sullivan R-Alaska
    John Thune R-S.D.
    Thom Tillis R-N.C.
    Tommy Tuberville R-Ala.
    Roger Wicker R-Miss.
    Todd Young R-Ind.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Invertebrates.

semoochie
    Participant

They’re all guilty of aiding and abetting violent insurrection of the United States government and should have lengthy prison terms! Tell me why this isn’t the case.

paulwalker
    Participant

Most are amazingly still under the spell of DT. Spineless is a good word. But I guess you can’t blame them for protecting their asses from 74 million misguided voters.

lastday
    Participant

I can absolutely blame them for placing their petty personal political careers ahead of what they know is right.

bookemdono
    Participant

While there are 43 senators that shamelessly place party over country, the blame falls squarely at Mitch McConnell’s feet. He allowed them to hide behind the cloak of unconstitutionality, but he refused to allow the trial to start before the inauguration. He all but chanted “lock him up!” in his post trial statement but he’s doing nothing more than placing the dealing with trump ball in the dems court. Should the next attorney general pursue charges it will only appear partisan-motivated and will galvanize the republicans in yet another “witch hunt”.

paulwalker
    Participant

DT faces major lawsuits in the State of NY. I don’t predict a good outcome there. The politicians who voted no on his charges have nothing to lose. They will maintain their standing with the Trump supporters, which is the only reason they voted the way they did. They were simply scared shit that their own political future would be in jeopardy if they voted against. Fortunately, Trump will be taken down by New York. Just watch.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/donald-trump-criminal-case.html

Andrew
    Participant

To be fair to McConnell, he announced before the vote that his caucus members were free to vote on their “conscience” – he wasn’t going to “whip” the vote (which I believe he did in the last impeachment trial). And I doubt he could have persuaded nine other Republicans to come along had he voted to convict – on the contrary, doing so might have threatened his leadership position.

But sure, McConnell isn’t a better human being for pretending to be so upset with Trump (his speech after the vote today) even after he voted not to convict. Still a moral coward.

I also agree that it will be difficult for a Merrick Garland Justice Department to pursue federal charges, so that probably won’t happen.

Will Trump get taken down by indictments or lawsuits in one of the states? Maybe. The investigation in Georgia might be most worrisome, but who knows what will come of that – maybe nothing. People have been talking about what New York is going to do – again, we’ll see. Civil suits will keep Trump’s lawyers busy for a few years but probably no worry for him.

If I were Democrats, I’d be very worried about the near future, whether Trump runs again in 2024 or not. These two years where they control both houses of Congress and the presidency may be their political peak again for the next 6-8 years. Gotta get things done while they can!

semoochie
    Participant

Then, there’s that rape situation. If the DNA proves to be Trump’s he could be looking at a criminal charge for that!

radiogeek
    Participant

Fuck Mitch McConnell.

Congress needs to immediately pass a new resolution on majority vote to invoke the provision in the 14th amendment that gives them the power to bar Trump from ever holding office again.

I wish all the states good luck. The only comfort I have on this matter is that eventually, Al Capone went away. For tax evasion … not for murder but he did go to prison.

I’m looking forward to the collapse of the Trump Organization as well.

Ed

Andrew
    Participant

radiogeek: “Congress needs to immediately pass a new resolution on majority vote to invoke the provision in the 14th amendment that gives them the power to bar Trump from ever holding office again.”

How do you get 60 votes in the Senate for that? Presumably there are only 57 base on the trial vote.

edselehr
    Participant

radiogeek: Patience, grasshopper. Allow the full story of Jan. 6 to come to light (it will take time) and let the Democrats in the Senate have a chance to purge the filibuster (I assume they will try before 2022). Only then would an attempt to use the 14th amendment on Trump be successful.

Andrew
    Participant

Before Senate Democrats are able to get rid of the filibuster, they’re going to need support of some conservative Democrats like Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema, both of whom have expressed reluctance to get rid of it.

More likely is that the filibuster would be weakened. E.g. instead of forcing the majority to show up to vote to break a filibuster, as is required now, force the minority to show up to sustain it. Also, we may see more “flexibility” in what is allowed in budget reconciliation bills, though again both Sinema and Manchin seem reluctant to support that either.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.