Trump approval sinks 5 points after Mueller report, tying all-time low

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Trump approval sinks 5 points after Mueller report, tying all-time low

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

Only 39 percent of voters surveyed in the new poll, which was conducted Friday through Sunday, approve of the job drumpf is doing as president. That is down from 44 percent last week and ties drumpf’s lowest-ever approval rating in POLITICO/Morning Consult polling — a 39 percent rating in mid-August 2017, in the wake of violence in Charlottesville, Va.

Nearly 6 in 10 voters, 57 percent, disapprove of the job drumpf is doing.

A plurality of voters, 46 percent, think the investigation into Russia’s influence on the 2016 presidential election was handled fairly, while 29 percent think it was handled unfairly. There is rare partisan agreement on this question: Forty-eight percent of Democratic voters, 46 percent of Republicans and 43 percent of independents say they think the investigation was handled fairly.

https://politi.co/2XErUE5

Even Fox News’s senior judicial analyst clobbered drumpf. “[The Mueller report] did show a venal, amoral, deceptive Donald Trump, instructing his aides to lie and willing to help them do so. That’s not good in the president of the United States.”

http://mediaite.com/a/uafra

semoochie
    Participant

You have to pay attention to which poll it is. The lowest result I’ve ever seen showed Trumps approval rating at 32%. I’m sure that was at least a year ago and I was really beginning to have hope but I never saw one that low again and then, they started to go above 40, all this after the scandals began to pile up!

lastday
    Participant

I’d like to see someone with some credibility (and no dog in the race) speak directly to Trump supporters. I have Mitt Romney in mind because he’s smart, credible, and can speak well. But you can pick your own spokesperson, as long as it’s not a current candidate for president.

“I know you don’t like politicians in general, and you don’t like me. And you HATE Obama and Hillary. You’re very distrustful of the news media, and for good reason. You’re frustrated and feel betrayed by our partisan political system.

But please hear me out.

You and I both know Trump is a lying, cheating, self-absorbed con man. He’s doesn’t care about facts or truth and he spins everything to make himself look good. His highest priority is watching TV to see what’s being said about him.

He’s widening the partisan divide in our country. The old cliche “He’s a divider, not a uniter” applies in spades.

He routinely insults and pushes away important US allies around the world, causing serious damage to our country’s stature and credibility on the world stage.

And he’s surrounded himself with incompetent, sometimes criminal sycophants. He doesn’t want anyone around who disagrees with him. He only wants to hear “Yes Mr. President”.

In short, Trump is everything you profess to hate about politicians in general, only times 10.

All of us may be disappointed in our country’s leadership over the last few decades. Many mistakes of judgment have lead to unfortunate outcomes.

But if we look at the current situation objectively, the only rational conclusion is we’re being lead by an incompetent lying weasel who is possibly guilty of serious criminal actions himself both in and out of office.

It’s imperative that we change direction in 2020, if not sooner via impeachment. The fool blindly leading our country down the road to economic and social ruin cannot be allowed to remain in charge.”

Something like that. Maybe via a 60 Minutes interview. Or Romney can afford to buy the network TV time to speak directly.

Vitalogy
    Participant

At this point it’s a cult following. Nothing proven to them matters.

Andrew
    Participant

Right – his supporters are pretty brainwashed at this point.

If you watch Fox “News,” you probably think the Mueller Report completely exonerated Trump:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/23/18512347/mueller-report-polling-fox-news-trump

lastday
    Participant

Nobody ever speaks TO Trump’s supporters except FOX News, Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, and Trump himself. Everyone else talks ABOUT Trump’s supporters. Like it’s THEM.

Someone else with gravitas needs to reach out to THEM and appeal to their common sense. Acknowledge their hatred and frustration of the system but convince THEM what we have right now is just wrong.

If 25% of them can be turned against Dear Dotard, that might be enough to turn the tide.

Andrew
    Participant

I don’t think we need to appeal to ANY of them. Don’t assume the every Trump voter from 2016 is a “Trump supporter.” Clearly, many just hated Hillary too and from their point of view, couldn’t tell the difference between the two. These would be voters we might call “swing voters” or “independents.”

In 2020, all we need are enough of these swing voters to swing back to the Democratic candidate. A good start might be a Democratic nominee that voters aren’t inclined to hate. If they again look at both Trump and the challenger and say, “Gee, they both suck, what’s the difference?” then I think we’re doomed to another four years of Trump.

At least voters can see how bad Trump really is as president; in 2016, they could only guess. I suspect many secretly hoped he would “become presidential” after he took office. Clearly that hasn’t happened, given his awful approval ratings. Given the small margins in PA, MI, and WI in 2016, it won’t take many swing voters to defect to defeat Trump in 2020. Screw the Trump supporters.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.