Towers (& Things) & Such 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Scott Young
    Participant

I heard K283BL on 104.5 this afternoon with a full quieting carrier when I drove to Music Millennium at 32nd and Burnside. Me-TV FM was completely buried, and they usually sound pretty good in the car on the east side as long as you’re not behind Rocky Butte, Mt. Tabor, etc. I wonder if Me-TV are passing out listener forms to fight the translator like KISN did? I would sure fill one out. For music in the car I rotate between Me-TV FM, KISN and KBPS. They’re each unique and complement each other well IMO.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Maybe K283BL has their Lamp Timer set up backwards. Shuts off when it’s supposed to turn on.?

The transmitter’s not next to a lumber yard by chance, is it?

semoochie
    Participant

I think the break off point is the 45dbu contour but I’m pretty sure that you’re within it.

LinleyG
    Participant

After almost two months of transmitting an ATSC1 carrier with no modulation, KPXG-LD RF21, Vir42 has finally added modulation to its signal. I see two virtual channels, 42-1 and 42-2. Both are religiously oriented.

KPXG-LD first appeared on RF21 on 12-20-19 at a low power level. It continued at that power until it left the air on 8-10-20. It returned to the air at a higher power but without modulated (i.e.beyond the transmitter’s spectrum spreading code) on 9-17-20. Yesterday it added modulation to its signal.

Linley

boisebill
    Participant

Haven’t checked up on Phoenix & DrAkbar & crew for a while.
    Lamptimer’s long gone tho.

LinleyG
    Participant

In principle, at least, KOXI-CD (RF20, Vir20) has returned to the air. From the RabbitEars’ Portland tuner data, it was on last night (11-27) but at such a low amplitude I missed it. I can barely see it on my spectrum analyzer using my low gain un-amplified outdoor antenna. Using my high gain antenna plus a preamplifier I make it to be 29 dB lower in amplitude than KPXG-LG on RF21. KPXG is co-sited with KOXI and rated at 15kW ERP. Over the air measurements are always of iffy accuracy, but 29 db below 15 kW is only about 20 Watts.

Even then, the signal from my high gain antenna measures as 15dB or more dB above receiver threshold. But, my receivers won’t decode KOXI’s signal. One of them says there’s an ATSC1 signal present but that it’s below threshold. This could be caused by either poor signal quality or the receivers objecting to such a large adjacent channel signal.

Linley

LinleyG
    Participant

What a difference a day makes! Today KOXI-CD is apparently up to full power (about 6 dB lower in amplitude than KPXG-LD) and the signal readily decodes. I see six subchannels 20.1 to 20.6.. 20.1 is a 720P, 16/9 format signal in Spanish. I did not watch long enough to get an ID. 20.2 to 20.6 are 480i, 4/3 format signals. I caught the ID of 20.4 as TimelessTV and from its logo 20.6 is apparently PeacockLX.

I decided that yesterday’s receiving problem was probably just an ordinary poor S/N. That is, the signal wasn’t 15 dB above the noise in the channel.

L

msndrspdx
    Participant

Let’s see if they ask Comcast for a carriage deal. Remember, NBC owns Comcast as well as LX, and you might think NBC would be encouraging Comcast systems to carry LX, which is a 24/7 news service. And I still think that KGWZ will emerge, probably next year, with a virtual channel(s) of its own. I’d guess KGWZ might end up on 4, 5, or 11 or something in the 50s or 60s.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

msndrspdx, the discussion is about terrestrial (antenna-to-antenna) broadcasting, not Comcast. Stay on topic. There is already a thread for posts about Comcast: https://feedback.pdxradio.com/forums/topic/comcast-happenings/

W7PAT
    Participant

For a few years before the KGON tower, they would string lights this time of year to make it look like a Christmas tree. In High School, we had a video of the old KPAM building by the tower. At that time it was the KPTV Ch. 27 facility.

semoochie
    Participant

That was the old KPAM-AM & FM tower, after becoming KCNR. It was dismantled to build what we call the KGON tower.

semoochie
    Participant

Actually, the topic is Towers & Such.

I posted this in “Radio Happenings in the Capital City” but it needs to be here also: “KWBY 940AM appears to be up and running with the 10KW and has filed the 302-AM. On the bedroom radio, it seems to be stronger than either 910 or 970!”

yahmit
    Participant

I can’t receive KOXI-CD in Salem, so Comcast my carry NBCLX since they are owned by the same parent company. According to Rabbitears, KOXI-CD has two translators (KORK-CD and KKEI-CD), but they are all on Skyline, wouldn’t those translators be more effective if they were in different locations to increase coverage? Chehalem Mountain and Eola Hills would really increase their reach.

W7PAT
    Participant

From DX News:

As of Nov 30, KWBY 940 kHz Woodburn, OR is now operating with their new
    daytime power of 10 kW under Program Test Authority. They are still at
    200 watts nighttime. The omnidirectional single tower antenna is pretty
    short (54 degrees) so considerably more high angle radiation than a
    taller tower would provide. Perhaps after sunset to the east, when it’s
    still day in the NW, it might be an interesting logging.

Programming is in Español. (Ben Dawson, WA, Dec 5)

from Glenn Hauer’s WOR DXLD

W7PAT
    Participant

“That was the old KPAM-AM & FM tower, after becoming KCNR. It was dismantled to build what we call the KGON tower.”

According to the old video, The KPAM/KPFM tower and the building was the original KPTV studio and transmitter sight when it was on UHF. When they moved to VHF Ch. 12 they built the original tower on Council Crest. I don’t know at what point KPAM/KPFM took over the old tower and studio.

I wish I knew what the video was called. We viewed it in AV class back in the ’70s and it was old then.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.