Towers (& Things) & Such 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant

KEZI use to be located top of the Colberg hills on the east side of the valley…notice their coverage area is quite vast and if one had an outdoor antenna pointed south could get them well…have not tried as my rotor is kaput…when all was analog years ago could get Channel 13 fuzzy from NE Salem.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

When KEZI was sold to out-of-town corporate owners, the tower was sold separately to American Tower Systems. My understanding is ATS raised their rent to the point that KEZI applied to move. ATS must have called their bluff, and the move happened. It’s an odd location for covering Eugene-Springfield, and many viewers are having better luck with their channel 11 Blanton Heights translator.

KMTR has moved off the Coburg Hills tower as well, now co-located with co-owned KVAL on Blanton.

semoochie
    Participant

That’s hard to believe! You would think that any TV station would stay put, unless it’s in a bad location, like where KATU started.

glennwood5
    Participant

When KEZI moved to Prairie Mountain, they also took with them a directional antenna with a pattern similar to what they had on Coburg Ridge. I can still pick them up with simple rabbit ears.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=kezi&fileno=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page%2FTab

It’s also not surprising that KMTR also moved to Blanton Heights.

I think KODZ is the only tenant left on the previous tower. Surprised they haven’t moved to Blanton Heights, too. That’s where the other Cumulus fm’s are located. There also might be a LPFM still there.

So ATS, how did your rent increase work out?

washnotore
    Participant

ION Media (KPXG’s parent company) few years ago. Started moving some of it’s stations away from ATS sites. Due to the company rising rents.

chessyduck
    Participant

Point of clarification. I assume when you all say “ATS” you mean American Tower Corporation (americantower.com) which is the largest tower firm around, structured as a REIT. Cell companies now drive the tower market demand and broadcasters have become the pariah. Who wants many kilowatts of TV/FM ERP blasting away on the same tower with your sensitive cell receive gear??!! Lots of engineering headaches…

boisebill
    Participant

One advantage of the Coberg site for KODZ is they are able to have a 95.3 translator in Florence since the their 60 dBu reaches. Was told it wouldn’t from Blanton. That was important since KPNW’s owner at the time Hobart Wilson had a house there!

chessyduck
    Participant

A fairly “secular” news analysis appears in Christianity Today about the hard times at Salem Media. Locally Salem controls several signals, mostly conservative-talk or faith-focused but the programming on Spanish-language “KRYP El Rey 93.1” can be “edgy”

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/may/salem-media-radio-economic-stock-crisis-coronavirus.html

You can see why Salem’s management wants to dump KDZR for $750K (Ya right!). Here’s my suggestion: KPDQ AM 800 sits on a nice chunk of property near the old Alpenrose site. Salem should sell off that plot and move KPDQ to a diplexable/triplexable tower.

semoochie
    Participant

It would have to be somewhere that 1KW covers the whole city and if they need to use shorter towers, that may not be possible. 1040 and 1450 is all I can think of right now.

W7PAT
    Participant

I have a hard time hearing KDZR in Aloha at night, however listening on SDRs, they at times have a good skywave signal into Victoria, BC, Montana, and Alberta Canada at times.

Andy Brown
    Participant

As well they should. After all, those towers were built for 1330 and the outer two (one of which they use) are 310 feet tall. At 1640, that exceeds (slightly) half wave (182ยบ).

Broadway
    Participant

You would assess that 800 KPDQ would do ok moving to the 1410 1040 central PDX site for a triplex…don’t think Salem would like paying rental fees as their current 800 site might be long paid off…just insurance and electricity costs…few incidentals…

chessyduck
    Participant

A listing for an Oregon station-for-sale appeared today on MCH Enterprises website, a broadcast broker. The text reads:

“NEW! OREGON NON-COMM. Class C3 Facility. Situated in the commercial band but must remain NCE in perpetuity. No office/studios; the station is set up to run remotely. Asking price is $250,000 and Seller will consider Terms from a qualified buyer.”

A query of the FCC data base shows five Oregon stations nominally meet the NCE C3 FM criterion and the commercial band location (92.1 – 107.9)… They are:

KMWV/KTUP Dallas , KWRZ Canyonville, KMME Cottage Grove, KJYV The Dalles.

We can rule out KMWV/KTUP as they’re building new studios in Salem; also ruled out is KWRZ as that frequency was shamelessly sold off recently and returned to commercial use (FCC … fix your data base.) . KMME is likely not a candidate as a Catholic Church group paid $700K back in 2011 for commercial station KDPM; this would represent a steep price drop although KMME does lack a Eugene area office . Also likely not KMME as KBVM is happy to reach Oregon’s second largest metro.

So … that leaves…

Broadway
    Participant

>>NEW! OREGON NON-COMM
    Meaning the station is not on the air?

semoochie
    Participant

If the station must remain NCE in perpetuity, that tells me that it’s relegated to somewhere between 88.1 and 91.9.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.