Towers (& Things) & Such 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Then my memory is somewhat fuzzy because I very vaguely recall reading an explanation on this site regarding why this tower needed insulators at the base. Unfortunately, I can’t recall why that was the case.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The original tower for 97.1 sat upon mostly rocky soil. The AM service on 1410 was shunt fed to the tower, about 1/3 (maybe less) of the way up. It had horrible coverage because of the lack of ground plane. kb101’s photo belies the fact that the tower was immediately adjacent to the old studio building which appears to have already been demolished and the shunt feed removed. The RFI from 1410 inside the studio was so bad they built a Faraday cage around the control room to keep it out of the 97.1 program audio chain. The location is literally steps away from Stonehenge as you can see.

The original tower in the old KWJJ/KGON location was a phone pole. The xmtr building (This is down the road about 75 yards? from Stonehenge) started out it’s life in 1947 as the transmitter building for KPRA (later KWJJ-FM), Portland’s third FM station. The station was dark and the building abandoned by 1949. A wooden utility pole was used for the antenna. In the early 50’s experiments were undertaken at the building to determine if it was possible to receive signals from KING-TV, Seattle, for rebroadcast. Then a new self supporting four legged tower for KWJJ/KGON/etc. was erected. It wasn’t very tall (it was an old utility common carrier tower which they have since moved just down the road, from satellite you can see there are two four legged towers, pretty sure it was one of those, or maybe they scrapped it). If my memory serves the four legged tower was on the right of the building as shown in various photos. It was later replaced by the 300′ three legged tower (I think in the late 80’s). There were 6 stations on it. Originally, KGON was on one leg, KWJJ (KJIB) on another, KXL FM 95.5 on the third leg, KQFM (Z 100) on the fourth leg and KBOO and KPDQ were doubled up on two of the legs. When they replaced the four legged with the 3 legged, I don’t know the configuration.

The insulators were used so as not to screw up 1410’s pattern. They were probably used to allow detuning.

People to ask about this:

Gary Hilliard former chief 97.1/1410
    Gray Haertig (lives on the site) radio consultant
    Larry Wilson former chief of KXL (Don’t know if he’s still alive) not to be confused with the former CEO of Alpha)
    Tom Rose former chief of KQFM (100.3)

e_dawg
    Participant

You guys aren’t talking about the short fat triangle radio tower (4636 Council Crest Drive)that was torn down almost 15 years ago and 95.5 KXL-FM was the last tenant (100kw/302m)before they move to Healy Heights?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by e_dawg.
    semoochie
    Participant

There were two separate towers next door to each other, the one for 1410/97.1 and the KXL-FM tower that held 90.7, 92.3, 93.7, 95.5(KXL), 99.5 and 100.3. 91.5/channel 10 was across the street. 101.1 was on the channel six tower and 101.9 was on the channel eight tower. 98.7/98.5 was on the 1330 tower on Mt. Scott and that was it! Everything else came later. (edit) When I wrote this, I didn’t realize that there another half page to read. Larry Wilson was my boss at KUPL in 1973-74. I sure was surprised to learn that KXL had two people with the same name, connected with them at the same time!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by semoochie.
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I noted today that a casualty of the departure of the Russian format from 1130 is the C-QUAM AM stereo. Now, KBPS is the only Portland area AM station that broadcasts in stereo.

chessyduck
    Participant

I recently looked at Oregon’s FCC Table of FM Allocations (hopefully the latest edition). Two cities I could not map to FCC auctions, unbulit or active stations were Manzanita (248C3) and Arlington (295C2)… Anybody know what happened to these allocations?

chessyduck
    Participant

Threshold Communications apparently has been fighting some competitive challenges trying to launch their KVNW 92.9 (Class C3, COL Napavine) into the Centralia market. It originally was a Clatskanie allocation but their application study showed it would better benefit the Centralia market instead of being another Longview-Kelso outlet. If memory serves me wasn’t KAST-FM in Astoria on 92.9 many years ago before the big FM shuffle which downgraded and moved KPDQ, etc?

As an aside, Threshold also runs KORJ near Medford (97.7 COL Butte Falls)

semoochie
    Participant

Yes, KAST-FM moved to Gladstone on 93.1. In other news, the license of KIEV1, the booster for the Camas LPFM on 102.7 has been cancelled, due to non use, for a year. It looks like it was never changed, when operation of the main station, went back to 102.5.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by semoochie.
    semoochie
    Participant

KXPD 1040AM has been sold and licensed to PIN Investments for $200,000. The previous owner was Riverside Broadcasting LLC, a Bustos based company. The entire amount was due at closing, in cash.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Piece of shit ate my post, so I’m going to try it YET FUCKING AGAIN:

You know what, fuck it. This problematic, bug-ridden software just simply refuses to post the Jargon File for whatever shitty reason, even WITH the spam filter disabled. I’m beyond fed up with it and its never-ending redirect loops when I try to go back and salvage it. I officially give up.

The official Jargon file/glossary is here:
    http://mistman.pdp10.org/pub/pdxradio/bcword.rf

As in years past, please do submit new terms in this thread so they can be included later on in future!

Andy Brown
    Participant

I tried several times several ways. It’s just too long, even if you try and do part and then edit in the rest.

This forum software used to work. Not any more.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The following is a serious suggestion, not sarcasm or a put-down. If the forum software is programmed to reject excessively long posts, then why don’t we just use it in a different way? We have a site at http://www.pdxradio.com that Dan maintains. Dan could add a “reference” section to that site, and the jargon file could be sent to him to be posted there.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

I’m looking in to these problems. Thanks for letting me know. Please remain calm, cool and collected. 😉

chessyduck
    Participant

The lengendary callsign “KSKD” is once again available. The Livingston, California station owners turned in the KSKD license once the FCC discovered a number of technical and operational anomalies with the 3kw Class A FMer near Los Banos. The station was part of La Favorita Radio Network.

For more details see : https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?724342-KSKD-FM-license-canceled

You can also query fccdata.org with the callsign “DKSKD”

KSKD used to be the 105.1 Salem callsign and for a bit 107.1 in Sweet Home.

Andy Brown
    Participant

failed to post

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.