Towers (& Things) & Such 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I was bloody late last year, now I’m bloody early this year. Go figure.

So you were saying?

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

^– Technical note: I just posted a new version of the Jargon File above (popst 43560) but it failed to post. I mailed Dan about it. Let’s see if it shows up in the next few days.

This isn’t the first time. I had at least one other post get “lost” after the recent update.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

deleted post; ignore

chessyduck
    Participant

On my Yamhill-to-Seattle trip yesterday i noticed two pirates, both operating on 87.9 . The first was playing OTR in the Longview-Kelso-Rainier area. (Nice signal off the Columbua River Bridge) The second was a urban format station near McChord Field off I-5.. Both had better content than KGHO-LP in Olympia on 101.1, a very duustorted clasdic oldies station.

chessyduck
    Participant

Is anyone hearing still low-power KGDD? Nothing noted on my recent Portland travels… I did notice Bustos switched KXET 1130 to a Vietnamese format, not too useful given most Vietnamese is spoken in the Portland area.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Speaking of Vietnamese (please pardon the pun), I note that 1550 is still in pretty sad technical shape. The modulation levels are low, and there is an annoying buzzing sound that is periodically heard; presumably, the noise is a malfunction with the audio feed to their transmitter site.

Borderblaster
    Participant

Hey cheesydick
    You better alert the stooges over at the F₵₵ about them “pirates” before Gordon shits his pants.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

‘Kay, let’s see if the Jargon File actually posts this time or if the software just eats it again…

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

^– Nope. (Post #43886)

God dammit.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I listened to 1550 a few minutes ago, and I think that they were finally able to resolve their studio-to-transmitter link problems. 1600 is a no-show in Hillsboro.

e_dawg
    Participant

Does anybody has the picture of the old KYCH/KBNP (97.1fm/1410am) (KCNR) radio tower before the current stonehenge (KGON Tower) replace the spot. Someone told me that the old radio tower resemble like a Christmas Tree.

Broadway
    Participant

Before it’s dismantling I remember it looking almost as wide as it was high…and somehow the AM worked on it…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Broadway.
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

The bottom of this page shows the residence that was built at the site of the former 1410/97.1 transmitter site: https://people.well.com/user/dmsml/stonehenge/

The page shows that the house’s deck was built over the radio tower foundation, and it goes on to state that the tower support insulators formed a triangle, 33′ per side. The photo that shows the tower prior to its demolition suggests that it was much taller than its width.

semoochie
    Participant

It would be reasonable to assume that the original owners hung the FM antenna on the AM tower but the FM predated the AM by a few years. When it was KCNR, they put lights around the tower at Christmastime that in the dark, looked like a giant Christmas tree atop Healy Heights. It was quite spectacular and could be seen from just about anywhere!

kb101engineer
    Participant

Alfredo, that was the former KGON, KWJJ, KPDQ, KBOO, etc site.

Here is a photo I captured from the DJ Master Control blog.

https://www.stumptownblogger.com/2010/07/the-building-of-stumptowns-most-famous-radio-stick.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.