Towers & Such & Things 2018 (and 2019)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Towers & Such & Things 2018 (and 2019)

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

…because I was under the impression that they had to move to 102.5 to prevent interference to KYTE.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Moving one to three channels up or down (or up or down 10.6 or 10.8 MHz) is a minor amendment and is always available to a licensee in the FM services. All that is required is a channel study showing all distances/contours are respected.

KXRU-ED
    Participant
    semoochie
    Participant

No, KYTE has an STA to operate from its former licensed site, which is currently valid until December 1st and will probably go through a series of renewals until they can figure out a way to reactivate their newly licensed site in the Coast Range. Presumably, there’s a limit to that but at this point, their licensed site is still in the Coast Range. Since their COL is now Independence instead of Newport and they can’t reach the former from the old site, they would probably have to jump through some hoops to return to it permanently and remain unscathed!

russell-curry
    Participant

I noticed the CP for KXXP at 104.5 on radiolocator.
    From down here in Eugene I don’t know what’s going on at 104.5 right now, but I would assume KXXP and the Portland translator can’t both be there at once, so I’m wondering what the plan is? Also, is the KXXP tower site the same one the old KCIV used?

semoochie
    Participant

It looks like KXXP’s 60dbu contour will cover about half of Gresham. If that’s the case, the translator will be interfered with but not within its 60dbu contour. Since it’s unlikely that they can move, they’ll probably just accept a smaller coverage area.

Broadway
    Participant

>>probably just accept a smaller coverage
    There’s gonna be a little RF chaos in east Portland on 104.5 FM if the translator stays on…it’s a boom’n little translator.

semoochie
    Participant

I had just eyeballed it before but after careful scrutiny, I see no way that Way FM can remain on that frequency. KXXP is going to be all over them! 104.7 looks like their best shot but they’re not going to like it!

jr_tech
    Participant

IIRC, KDUK/KDUX? listeners chased them off of 104.7 before.

Andy Brown
    Participant

CP antenna is up way high (1500+m AMSL) and the terrain between xmtr site and Gresham remains elevated most of the way. Unlikely there would be much usable signal in Gresham unless you are using a kite for a receiving antenna. I think all of your concerns are bloated. A terrain profile reveals (use a ruler across the peaks) the new signal’s lowest direct wave gets to Gresham at about 250 meters above the ground. (Click on map for full size image)

By the time the signal actually gets down to the ground, it will be outside its 60 dBu. There may be some areas closer to the translator that sustain some reception issues, but the closer you get to the Willamette the lower the elevation becomes providing further separation. It’s not going to get the kind of rim shot valley penetration the west slope Hood signals do. Eventually the translator’s ss will be strong enough to win the contest in the receiver. Yes, there will be some areas where reception of the translator will be compromised, but as a secondary service, you have to accept it or move.

Besides, there aren’t any usable channels to move to.

Sorry for the extraneous contours showing on the map. I forgot to turn them off. No relevance to this discussion.

semoochie
    Participant

Wouldn’t just interfering with KXXP’s “theoretical” 60dbu contour be enough for the FCC to force the secondary service to move or go off the air?

russell-curry
    Participant

Did KCIV broadcast from the KXXP site?I know their tower was on the Washington side.

semoochie
    Participant

…not so much. KCIV/KMCQ overlooked The Dalles from the Washington side. KXXP is in Oregon, on Mt. Defiance, in the Cascade Range, roughly halfway between Cascade Locks and Hood River.

russell-curry
    Participant

One of my old FM Atlases, I think 1981, listed KTIL-FM at 104.1 with 100kw, at 2000 feet above average surrounding. It would have been pretty interesting if that had actually come about.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought so too. It looked like it would have covered the west side pretty well.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.