Towers & Such & Things 2018

This topic contains 165 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  msndrspdx 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 166 total)
  • Author

russell-curry
    Participant

<sFrom the Salem location I mentioned, I was also able to pick up unaided that reggae pirate at 100.7 that I’ve read mentioned on this site.

russell-curry
    Participant
      From the Salem location I mentioned, I was able to pick up unaided that reggae pirate on 100.7, which I’ve read on this site broadcast from somewhere in the Portland area.

Broadway
    Participant

This might be the station you’re listening to?

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=K264AA&service=FX

russell-curry
    Participant

This was about 20 years ago. The radio was a Satellite 700, I think the station was called “energy” something or other.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The reggae pirate on 100.7 was Delta FM. The last broadcasts that I heard from them were an all Christmas Reggae format in December of 2006 and a documentary on the history of Portland radio shortly thereafter. Delta FM could easily be received in Portland, as well as the Westside, so I suspect that they must have been able to find a very good transmitter location.

Energy 98.1 was a Beaverton dance music pirate that was shut down in 2003.

russell-curry
    Participant

There was another one I could pick up from Salem back then, very faintly at 88.1, called trw-hotmix. I have no idea whether it was 3 miles away or 30.

semoochie
    Participant

The sale of KPAM to Salem Media Group has been approved by the FCC.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

RECORDING NW has filed for a Silent STA for KOUV-LP/VANCOUVER, WA while it moves to a new location.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Eastside fire is responding to a radio tower fire in the foothills near Tiger Mountain.

The tower is at least 200 feet tall and the transmitter at the top is burning.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/radio-tower-burning-on-tiger-mountain-summit/869010928

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Most likely, what caught fire was an antenna or the feedline going to it. Before reading the story, I thought that this might have been a case of arson, as happened at several transmitter sites in the Portland area around 2004.

KXRU-ED
    Participant

Is it a common practice to place your transmitter ON the tower?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Not in broadcasting since traditionally transmitters were too large to put in a weather proof vault and mounted on the tower like is sometimes done in cellular telephone installations. It’s still not preferred because it means access requires ladder/tower climbing or a bucket truck.

Clearly the writer of the article is not knowledgable about the components of a transmission system. The problem appears to be too high up to be anything but a transmission line short, sometimes caused by vandalism with a rifle but usually just a bad bullet (no pun intended) when rigid line is used. Sometimes ancillary equipment (STL, TSL, ICR, steerable small footprint microwave dishes, etc.) have motors, diplexing equipment, splitters, etc. that can fail and overheat. Also, in regions where needed, deicers can fail and overheat. I remember one story I read about a birds nest caught fire because it had been built on some kind of antenna with de-icers and an early cold snap kicked on the heat and it caught fire and burned up a whole mess of stuff. The big fire in Moscow’s huge broadcast tower was caused by a paging service antenna failure, not any of the high power broadcast stuff.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/29/world/russians-put-out-the-fire-in-gigantic-broadcast-tower.html

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

It’s the commercial ma$$ media. You should NEVER expect them to understand or report accurately on anything of even a slightly technical nature. Just ask Mr. Mitnick.

boisebill
    Participant

I gave up a long time ago trying to correct the talking (empty) heads.
    Meanwhile, the antenna mfgr ERI, will have a crew up their by the weekend to inspect it. It’s 8 bays on each of the 4 sides of the tower with 6 stations combined into it. Affected are KZOK, KBKS, KSWD KJAQ KNUC & KQMV. They’re all still on thye ir running from backup site(s).

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  boisebill.

LinleyG
    Participant

Oregon Public Broadcasting’s Portland translator that used to operate on RF channel 48 made its predicted move to RF channel 28 today.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.