Towers & Such 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

The LAT/LON of the transmitter site corresponds to the Operations Manager’s residence per their paperwork:

3801 SE 153rd Ave, Portland OR 97236

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=KDOO

Find ” L2C 0000140163 Pending 03/18/2021″
    Next, click on “show more application details”…

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

What’s it supposed to be, another KXRY or WORC outlet?

(Tags: applications, can you hear me now?, construction permits, DXing, FCC, grants, programming logic, static, towers, What the hell happened?)

Andy Brown
    Participant

“The LAT/LON of the transmitter site corresponds to the Operations Manager’s residence per their paperwork:

3801 SE 153rd Ave, Portland OR 97236

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=KDOO

Find ” L2C 0000140163 Pending 03/18/2021″
    Next, click on “show more application details”…”

It’s faster to use FM Query directly . . . download the kml file for the 60 dBu and launch it which will open Google Earth and show the primary coverage area. Zoom in and see all the trees around the proposed site which are clearly taller than the radiation center.

Do you have Google Earth? If yes, go to https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-query

Fill in KDOO-LP and hit return. When the station record comes up, select the “Links and Maps” tab and select “KML / Google Earth (60 dBu).” When that finishes downloading double click on it and it will launch Google Earth which is a far more detailed map than FCCdata.org provides using Google Maps. 3 clicks and one double click. Done. Plus you can put multiple stations on the map, draw circles of a given radius as an overlay, etc. etc. Much more powerful way to see the topography and the street names. Quicker. Easier. Why rely on a third party front end that clutters the screen with more info than you want when you have the power and tools to query the actual database directly.

I’d post the map, but I recently upgraded the OS and to get my FTP client to run I need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime package (maybe I’ll find time later to do that and I’ll post the map you get). Here’s an old one I did to see what the proposed K296 power increase would look like and showing KXRY primary on Rocky Butte, too. Click on the map for a large version.

These maps are easy to build and annotate, and offer great control over what stuff is visible like street names, topographic features, etc.

Yeah, it’s jammed up against the north slope of Powell Butte. I know the area from biking the Springwater Trail, and it’s not too steep. I’d be more concerned about the trees surrounding the site than reflections off of Powell Butte.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Edit add: Got the runtime Java package installed.

Here’s the proposed new site. Note how it is surrounded by trees. The coordinates at the bottom right are where the cursor happened to be when I took the screen shot, so disregard the fact that they don’t reflect the site center. It’s late. The KDOO calls appear 3 times because I loaded the kml file three times and didn’t go back and clean it up. It’s late. I said that already. Click for full size version.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought we were talking about the slope of Powell Butte. I’ve been in that area lots of times and never noticed an incline at all. This is almost(but not quite)like saying that Mt. Scott Park is on an incline of Mt. Scott!

Andy Brown
    Participant

With Google Earth you can draw a terrain profile or just watch the elevation number in the lower right corner as you roll the mouse cursor along a line going up the slope. It’s not a sharp enough incline to get tons of reflections causing multi path in the opposite direction (north). It’s the trees. Probably just a temporary move until they can find something better. It won’t “get out” worth a shit. It’s coverage will be scattered and drop in and out if you travel across the major lobe on, e.g., SE Powell (US 26). You can’t expect much when you’re surrounded by trees.

chessyduck
    Participant

I seem to remember back in the 1970s or 1980s an NCE application was filed for Battle Ground, perhaps for a high school district. It was not for a Class D but a full-power station with a few kilowatts. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
    Did it go to CP status? Obviously there was no build-out.

chessyduck
    Participant

Any issues with KBNP today or recently? AM 1410 seems silent but co-lo AM 1040 is on the air…

Alfredo_T
    Participant

On Saturday morning, I noted that KBNP was off the air. Later that day, I noted a weak carrier but no modulation on 1410. On Sunday, they were back on the air.

During the weekend, I noted that KUIK was off the air, and they are still silent. I wonder whether they have fallen victim to the South Hillsboro development plans. The land where the station’s antenna array sits has been for sale.

washnotore
    Participant

The C-Band – Repurposing Mid-Band Spectrum for 5G

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-362335A1.pdf

Interesting document from the FCC. This is mostly behind the scenes.

I read somewhere that top 50 TV markets will need to change filters twice in the coming three years. Order to keep there signal on freq.

This also affects most radio stations. They can install a blue filter. As part of there C-Band operations as well.

How much more radio spectrum does the 5G providers need.

chessyduck
    Participant

This Week in Radio Tech did an excellent feature show on the C-band repack and what it means for broadcasters;

http://thisweekinradiotech.com/twirt-home/2020/11/13/twirt-518-c-band-filters-in-or-out-with-mark-johnson.html

TWiRT is always a great listen..

chessyduck
    Participant

Back in the 1980s, then-KPLU was a common FM DX station in the Portland metro area. The current KNKX signal comes from the West Tiger Mountain site. Question – back in the 80s was KPLU at a different, more southernly site hence better reception in Portland?

semoochie
    Participant

I’m getting faulty coordinates and can’t find the original site but West Tiger is a relatively new transmitter location. Even Cougar is fairly new.

kb101engineer
    Participant

KPLU originally broadcast from the campus of Pacific Lutheran University. The antenna was on one of the campus buildings. They transmitted with 40,000 watts using a McMartin BK-25K transmitter. Here is a picture from the KPLU xmtr room:

https://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/McMartin/McMartin-BF25K.jpg

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Randomly looking at a few old Broadcasting Yearbooks, in 1977 KPLU was 40kw at 130ft HAAT. By ’84 they were 100kw at 620ft. The 1990 book is the first one to show them at 58kw and 2356ft.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.