Towers & Such 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

On the contrary, it’s the best way to get people to listen to the HD2s and 3s. If they know they can hear the same programing that’s on the translator but at a greater distance and clearly, they might be swayed to buy an HD equipped radio! Of course, the station has to promote that fact.

boisebill
    Participant

I have no idea where to put this so here it is.
    KCRW-LP is now officially DKCRW-LP since Tribune has filed to delete the station/license. Just paperwork as KCRW-TV will continue the programming!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by boisebill.
    semoochie
    Participant

KCRW is in Santa Monica. Did you mean to say, KRCW?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by semoochie.
    chessyduck
    Participant

Here’s the FCCdata entry:

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=DKRCW&ccode=1&city=&state=&country=US&zip=&arn=&party=&lmspf=&lmspl=&party_type=LICEN&latd=&lond=&lang=en

Any reason for zapping this license? Okay, it was only a few hundred watts and on crummy channel 5 but still Tribune shareholders could use the money if it were sold off.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Would anybody these days even want it, considering how intolerant of RF interference, electrical noise and zodiacal alignments ATSC is? IIRC the only reason it was on channel 5 was because it’s a leftover from when they were broadcasting NTSC there. Many a late summer afternoon I would be at my mom’s house observing KING ghosting over KRCW!

Regarding DKRCW:

Some time ago somebody mentioned (think it was Andy_Brown) that broadcast call letters were nearing exhaustion (and I don’t wonder, considering how many are still assigned to vessels that were decommissioned and broken during the Ford administration). Why are the FCC not issuing alphanumeric calls to broadcast stations a la wireless fixed service call letters (e.g. The All-New 102.4 KZYX123!), or is there something technically or legally preventing themfrom doing so? It seems like if there were a shortage of callsigns that would be a viable solution, but then again it’s simple and makes logical sense so maybe that’s why they haven’t pursued it. I mean, look how the phone company ultimately handled the NPA exhaustion problem.

chessyduck
    Participant

On Google Earth a zoom-in of Oaks Amusement Park shows the 1040/1410 diplexed AM tower. Question: Is this the same physical tower that was there during the KLIQ AM 1290 days? As a little kid I was amazed to see a radio station in the park although I suspect the KLIQ old offices/studios are long gone.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yes. I live nearby.

chessyduck
    Participant

While researching some Portland radio history I saw that KDBX (ex-KBBT, now KXJM) had an original CP as a Class A (2kw) from a site north of North Plains off of Pumpkin Ridge Rd. Did it actually operate from there? Google Earth does not show any remaining transmitter shed or antenna up at that location. The antenna only would have been 21 meters tall. (Ironic how Hillsboro or even Forest Grove did not get the 298A FM assignment but the smaller town of Banks. Of course 107.5 is now a massive Class C0.)

Andy Brown
    Participant

IIRC the initial 107.5 site was in somebody’s garage.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KDBX started as a contemporary Christian music station owned by former KGW/KING/KHJ/KFRC personality, Bob Anthony. He actually obtained a CP to increase to a C3 at that site, but the FAA said no due to a nearby airstrip and the possibility of interference from 107.5 into the aircraft band. He didn’t have the capital to finance a move, so he sold to Salem Communications, which two years later sold it to American Radio Systems. In spite of the low power and location, I could often hear it in Eugene during enhanced tropo.

washnotore
    Participant

For all you Radio and Television history buffs. There is a nice display of the 1939 World’s Fair TV’s. That is alive and well in Toronto, Canada at the MZTV Television Museum. There are also CBS Mechanical Colour sets on display. A great place to visit when the border reopens.

Here’s a short video in which you can see the 1939 set on display. Some of the earliest TV devices from the 1920’s are also there. Part of the collection is located in Montreal, Canada. But the Toronto museum is in the same complex as CFZM, CFMZ radio and VisionTV.

chessyduck
    Participant

Wow… That was close. Long-silent KDOO-LP has filed for a license-to-cover for their modification as the earlier-proposed Rocky Butte tower site apparently did not (or has yet) come to fruition. KDOO-LP will operate with 50 watts in the northernly shadows of Powell Butte on 101.5 MHz.

Andy Brown
    Participant

. . . in a residential neighborhood with lots of trees taller than their radiation center.

semoochie
    Participant

So, about 162nd and Holgate, if there were such an intersection

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by semoochie.
    LinleyG
    Participant

It’s likely to blitz a few nearby TV sets receiving off air high-V signals. A FM trap or a hi-pass filter may be necessary.

L

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.