Towers & Such 2019

This topic contains 136 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  LinleyG 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)
  • Author

DarkStar
    Participant

KATU and KOIN will still be running at 50% power from the main tower site. Some previously used elbows were installed that ended up not testing good, but new ones are arriving in a few weeks.

KATU will be powering off of channel 43 at 3pm today to re-channel the interim transmitter to 24 and commission it as our auxiliary transmitter.

semoochie
    Participant

It hadn’t occurred to me that the translator would also default to channel 10. I think the other TV received 32 that way as well as 10.

LinleyG
    Participant

Yes, KATU’s RF43 signal is gone. Unfortunately it’s not a prime afternoon to rescan a DTV set. Two other stations are operating unusually so a rescan this afternoon might be incomplete.

KNMT (RF32 Vir.24 after a week of ~half power operations with very large adjacent channel emissions is now 25 dB below its former amplitude.

And, just to make it interesting, KUNP-LD (RF34 Vir.47) is completely off the air. This is new today so it might only be temporary.

On an older topic, something changed and now the spectral shape of KATU and KOIN (RF24 and RF25) are the same between my antennas. I have looked closely at my stuff and cannot find anything that changed. It’s still a mystery. RF measurements in the environment often are “strange”.

Linley

LinleyG
    Participant

RabbitEars’ site says KUNP-LP is back on already.

https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?request=tvdx_grid&tid=107241E4&tno=3

Linley

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  LinleyG. Reason: The link did not show up in the post. Added it manually

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Yes, it’s 10.1 but the station ID is OPB T28.

washnotore
    Participant

The Phase 6 transition of the repack is now over. All of the Portland stations. Have now been repacked to there newly assigned RF channels.

Even the stations in Seattle. Have stared to move over to there assigned RF channels as well. It won’t be until next year. When all of them are back at full power. So for the time being. Some stations will be on Aux antenna. For the next few months like Portland was.

This means T-Mobile and the other Telecoms. Can start there build out on 600 Mhz.

I should note that one of our LPTV station KWVT-LD. Which had repacked earlier this year. Can not be received in all area. Due to the low power requirements the FCC has place on the them in VHF band.

There have been report around the nation. That 3000 watts is not enough power to cover the entire viewing area. Low power stations are hoping the FCC. Will follow though on higher power levels in the years ahead.

Borderblaster
    Participant

Low power stations on higher power levels, kind of defeats the purpose

Alfredo_T
    Participant

At a DTV presentation by Charlie Rhodes a few years ago, he explained that the reason that DTV powers on the VHF bands are so low, particularly on low VHF, is due to concerns over interference. He didn’t explain who was concerned about receiving interference, and I wish that I had asked.

My understanding is that the computer modeling used to calculate DTV power levels was based solely on the amount of absorption (from foliage and similar terrain features) on the various bands and reception sensitivity limits based on thermal noise. There are no “fudge factors” for man-made electrical noise or atmospheric noise.

washnotore
    Participant

Something strange is going on with KOXO-CD/KKEI-CD. Both stations were transmitting a blank signal for over two days. Now I see message in Spanish not English.

Given that Azteca America is on KWVT-LD RF Channel 11. Witch is stuck at very low power. One would assume that Azteca America may show up on KOXO-CD RF Channel 20. With a much better signal.

semoochie
    Participant

Now, this is interesting: Two translators have offered amendments for alternative frequencies but instead of clicking on “details”, in CDBS, like I have for about 20 years, you have to go to “correspondence folder”. In both cases, if you go to “details”, it shows the frequency change but no study on the new frequency and leaves intact, the old study! The original frequencies are 95.1 and 105.5. The amendments are for 94.3 and 100.7.

LinleyG
    Participant

I couldn’t identify the stations you are interested in so I cannot be sure. You didn’t give the call letters. However, FM applications and actions are now appearing on the FCC’s LMS search site: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/publicSearchLanding.html . You might be able to find what you are looking for there.

I generally use the Applications Search mode. The application with its attachments are down loadable.

Linley

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  LinleyG. Reason: Cleaned up a run-on sentence

Andy Brown
    Participant

Sounds like Bustos is throwing in the towel on their egregious attempt to shoehorn in service on 95.1 and 105.5 between existing licenses.

Linley: This has been an ongoing war between Bustos and numerous LPFM licensees whom armed with the rules and enough resources have outgunned Bustos in spite of the FCC moving the goal posts and requiring them to file and refile their objections based on 74.1204.

Semoochie: You know the old adage about leading a horse to water but you can’t make it drink?

If you go in through FM Query (as I have advocated for at least 10 years on this forum), you don’t have to rely on the CDBS front end and all of its limitations. The CDBS is just, in database terms, a report which draws upon the database. If you just query the database directly, you avoid all the pitfalls.

Here is a link to all applications, Cps and Licenses for all translators within 50 km of Stonehenge. As you can see, Bustos has had applications on 94.3 and 100.7 since April of 2018.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=&fileno=&state=&city=&freq=87.9&fre2=107.9&serv=FX&status=&facid=&asrn=&class=&list=1&dist=50&dlat2=45&mlat2=29&slat2=20&NS=N&dlon2=122&mlon2=41&slon2=40&EW=W&size=9&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page%2FTab

As Ken Seymour of KISN-LP said back then, it appears Bustos is just throwing a bunch of crap against the wall to see what sticks. What they have done (you notice that Bustos’ applications on 95.1 and 105.1 are no longer listed, just the original request short form frequencies of 94.9 and 105.7 show up) is repurpose the other applications which were already on file by amending them. Here is a look at all the LPFMs within 50 km of Stonehenge:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=&fileno=&state=&city=&freq=87.9&fre2=107.9&serv=FL&status=&facid=&asrn=&class=&list=1&dist=50&dlat2=45&mlat2=29&slat2=20&NS=N&dlon2=122&mlon2=41&slon2=40&EW=W&size=9&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page%2FTab

From this you can see that the 94.3 application does no damage to any LPFMs because they were all smart enough not to try and overcome La Zeta on Mt. Hood. Bustos is only interfering with itself, so to speak. As far as 100.7, KQRZ-LP and KBSF-LP are probably effected by this proposal as they always have been since it was originally filed. I don’t have time today to look through the proposal and directional antenna stuff today but I’m thinking Bustos just thinks it will not be up against as much resistance as they have encountered with KISN and KXRU.

Semoochie: p.s. I had no trouble running down the documents because I use FM Query which provides direct links to all the correspondence folders. You should try it sometime. It’s quite powerful.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-query

If I’m interpreting this all correctly, this is a big win for Ken and Ed over at KXRU-LP.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you. Are you referring me to “Application Search” in FM Query? If that’s it, I didn’t understand before. I assumed it just took me to the one in CDBS.

DarkStar
    Participant

From RadioInsight.com:

104.5 MeTV-FM Debuts In Portland

104.5 MeTV-FM Debuts In Portland

The launch of Way Media’s “Way Loud” Christian Rock format on Jackman Holding Company’s 104.5 KXXP White Salmon WA/Portland OR was just a brief placeholder as the station has now flipped to Soft Oldies “104.5 MeTV-FM“.

The station is now being operated via Time Brokerage Agreement by Marc Paskin’s Marco Broadcasting. Paskin previously owned Marijuana themed Rock “Smokin 94.1” 1550 KBUD/94.1 K231BQ Golden/Denver CO in 2014. The TBA also includes an option for Marco Broadcasting to purchase KXXP.

Original Report 10/25: After moving its Christian AC “Way-FM” brand to 96.3 KKWA West Linn OR earlier this month, Way Media has debuted its Christian Rock “Way Loud” brand on 104.5 KXXP White Salmon WA/Portland.

Previously a streaming only brand, the format was a digital evolution of the former “Power-FM” format heard on 89.7 KVRK Sanger/Dallas TX until that stations’ sale to Way Media in 2015. KXXP, owned by Jackman Holding Company, signed-on in June replacing 104.5 K283BL Portland as the Way-FM affiliate in Portland until the closing of the purchase of KKWA (then KWEE).

Way Media describes the brand as “WAY LOUD is the best mix of Christian Rock from artists like Skillet, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Switchfoot, Family Force 5 and more”.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Somebody beat you to the punch on breaking the news regarding KXXP: https://feedback.pdxradio.com/forums/topic/way-fm-portland-to-purchase-kwee-fm/page/6/#post-43050

Nevertheless, I have to admit that I have been asleep at the wheel in catching the format flip. I sampled the “Way Loud” programming for the novelty factor a few days ago. I sat through it for about an hour before saying to myself, “OK, I’ve had enough. I’m never listening to this again.”

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.