Towers & Such 2019

This topic contains 127 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 3 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)
  • Author

washnotore
    Participant

KOIN 6 gets new transmitter antenna

It’s here! KOIN 6 gets new transmitter antenna

KOIN says there tower work should be done by mid August

KATU says there equipment work will be done by Phase 6

msndrspdx
    Participant

WNBC New York moved to their post-repack frequency and a new tower in the early afternoon of August 1, according to their Facebook page. Over the air viewers had to rescan. I’d assume that KOIN and KATU will do likewise once their new antennas are in place and ready to go.

DarkStar
    Participant

We won’t know for sure at KATU when we’ll repack frequencies until the tower crew is further along, but we’re estimating mid-October right now.

Yes, viewers will need to perform a rescan to receive KATU once we’re on the new frequency. KOIN has already changed frequencies, so no rescan will be necessary for them.

chessyduck
    Participant

I started looking at KVIP-FM (Redding) and their growing coverage throughout Oregon and Northern California. Like other religious broadcasters with lots of translators they also employ the strategy: MAIN–>satlink–>NONCOMM xltr–>COMM xltr.

One example, KVIP’s Sunriver translator (K257DT) 99.3 is fed by their Chemault translator (K219LR) 91.7 which is in-turn fed by satellite. KVIP also has satellite-fed non-comm translators in Condon, Burns, and elsewhere…

russell-curry
    Participant

Back in the mid-70’s we lived near Cottage Grove, and I had an Archer all-channels tv antenna. One late-summer afternoon when KOAC WAS OFF THE AIR, I picked up KVIP with it, though very faintly. KCNO was much louder, just over KVI. You can imagine how well KXL came in. I don’t know how that antenna could do so well on such low frequencies.

semoochie
    Participant

I think KVIP is on 540.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Were you using the antenna downlead to receive AM? Some German console sound systems from the 1960s employed a very clever trick whereby common-mode signals on the FM antenna terminals were routed to the AM section, while differential-mode signals were routed to the FM section. This, of course, required that the antenna be connected to the radio with twinlead.

semoochie
    Participant

twinlead: That’s what they strive for in Minneapolis. 🙂

russell-curry
    Participant

Kvip is at 540, 2.5kw now, I’m pretty sure it was 1kw then. The antenna was hooked to this thing called an am-tenna, which I had heard advertised on KCRL. It was flat, about 1/8 inch thick, with antenna and ground terminals, you’d lay your portable radio on it. I found I could null a strong signal somewhat by tuning a little pocket radio to that frequency, and placing it facing the radio.

msndrspdx
    Participant

According to RabbitEars, KPTV is adding a new subchannel on 12.4 today. It’s a new lifestyle channel from CBS called DABL. Listings on RabbitEars started turning up on most of the CBS-owned stations across the country in late summer. Since this is a new stream, over the air viewers will have to rescan to get it. The network’s website went live over the Labor Day weekend. Martha Stewart will have a show there. No sign of a Comcast Portland pickup yet. In Seattle, the CBS-owned CW station, KSTW, will carry DABL there. Comcast Portland already runs Cozi and Laff off KPTV, so I’d say the odds would be good that Comcast will likely carry DABL as well. No other significant changes to the Portland area subchannel lineup at this point.

semoochie
    Participant

Can someone tell me what RF channel is 3.1? It says it’s KVDO but that’s around Albany.

jr_tech
    Participant

KVDO 3.1 is transmitted on Channel 11, along with KWVT 17.1, KSLM 27.1 and Azteca 37.1, our mid valley group.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you. I checked two different sites and didn’t see any mention of channel 11. I tried TV Fool and one other. I think it was the FCC site. One of them was outdated and the other didn’t list KATU. Are there any other similar sites I could check?

jr_tech
    Participant

This one is tricky… COL is Salem but it transmits frrom the old ch 49 tower in the west hills.
    I use the FCC site, but do not search for Portland stations, but search instead for stations within a 20 mile radius of Portland coordinates.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=129197

semoochie
    Participant

I never thought of that. That’s why it doesn’t come up! It doesn’t adjust for the seemingly wrong COL. I think there’s one for La Grande too.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.