Towers & Such 2019

Tagged: 

This topic contains 83 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  russell-curry 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author

washnotore
    Participant

KOIN 6 gets new transmitter antenna

It’s here! KOIN 6 gets new transmitter antenna

KOIN says there tower work should be done by mid August

KATU says there equipment work will be done by Phase 6

msndrspdx
    Participant

WNBC New York moved to their post-repack frequency and a new tower in the early afternoon of August 1, according to their Facebook page. Over the air viewers had to rescan. Iā€™d assume that KOIN and KATU will do likewise once their new antennas are in place and ready to go.

DarkStar
    Participant

We won’t know for sure at KATU when we’ll repack frequencies until the tower crew is further along, but we’re estimating mid-October right now.

Yes, viewers will need to perform a rescan to receive KATU once we’re on the new frequency. KOIN has already changed frequencies, so no rescan will be necessary for them.

chessyduck
    Participant

I started looking at KVIP-FM (Redding) and their growing coverage throughout Oregon and Northern California. Like other religious broadcasters with lots of translators they also employ the strategy: MAIN–>satlink–>NONCOMM xltr–>COMM xltr.

One example, KVIP’s Sunriver translator (K257DT) 99.3 is fed by their Chemault translator (K219LR) 91.7 which is in-turn fed by satellite. KVIP also has satellite-fed non-comm translators in Condon, Burns, and elsewhere…

russell-curry
    Participant

Back in the mid-70’s we lived near Cottage Grove, and I had an Archer all-channels tv antenna. One late-summer afternoon when KOAC WAS OFF THE AIR, I picked up KVIP with it, though very faintly. KCNO was much louder, just over KVI. You can imagine how well KXL came in. I don’t know how that antenna could do so well on such low frequencies.

semoochie
    Participant

I think KVIP is on 540.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Were you using the antenna downlead to receive AM? Some German console sound systems from the 1960s employed a very clever trick whereby common-mode signals on the FM antenna terminals were routed to the AM section, while differential-mode signals were routed to the FM section. This, of course, required that the antenna be connected to the radio with twinlead.

semoochie
    Participant

twinlead: That’s what they strive for in Minneapolis. šŸ™‚

russell-curry
    Participant

“Kvip is at 540, 2.5kw now, I’m pretty sure it was 1kw then. The antenna was hooked to this thing called an am-tenna, which I had heard advertised on KCRL. It was flat, about 1/8 inch thick, with antenna and ground terminals, you’d lay your portable radio on it. I found I could null a strong signal somewhat by tuning a little pocket radio to that frequency, and placing it facing the radio.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.