Towers & Such 2019

Tagged: 

This topic contains 89 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 3 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 90 total)
  • Author

LinleyG
    Participant

KATU’s power reduction is, in principle, a 12+ dB reduction. But, due to the vagaries of propagation, antenna pattern, etc. it is only down between 6 and 7 dB at my house located half a mile west of Aloha High School.

It’s a beautiful, almost textbook, signal with only a slight amount of tilt across the channel. Measured off air, KATU’s new signal is 3+ dB below the FCC’s spec for the amplitude of its intermodulation shoulders at the channel’s edge.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  LinleyG. Reason: corrected a word tense

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

One small correction to a previous post, KVDO-LD is licensed to Albany, transmitting from Peterson Butte.

Broadway
    Participant

LinleyG
    Participant

KKEI-CD RF36, Vir ch. 38 has been 25dB lower than its accustom power when I checked the last three nights. That is if its ERP was 8.6kW as rated, it’s down to about 30 Watts now. Being low more than a day or two probably means a bigger glitch than normal. Perhaps the Final amp is down and we are seeing the driver feed-through.

LinleyG
    Participant

KKEI-cd is up to full power again tonight.

washnotore
    Participant

Media Bureau to Begin Accepting ATSC 3.0 License Applications

https://www.fcc.gov/document/media-bureau-begin-accepting-atsc-30-license-applications

The FCC announced May 23, 2019 that it will begin accepting applications from broadcasters to deploy the ATSC 3.0 (Next Generation Television) on May 28, 2019.

The commission approved the standard in November 2017 but needed to revise a number of forms before it could begin accepting applications. Applications will be accepted from all licensed full power, Class A, LPTV and TV translator stations with the exception of licensed channel sharing stations.

Unlike the traditional broadcast application process, the FCC has established a one-step streamlined licensing approach; for those broadcasters voluntarily transmitting an ATSC 3.0 signal from its facility or from another broadcaster (channel sharing), it only needs to file a modification of license application with the commission.

It’s been noted the top 40 media markets will begin ATSC 3.0 broadcasting by the end of 2020.

The only stations locally that are nearly ATSC 3.0 ready are.

Watch TV owned: KORS-CD, KORK-CD, KKEI-CD and KOXO-CD
    HC2 Station Group owned: KOXI-CD

msndrspdx
    Participant

In Phoenix, AZ, there’s a “lighthouse” 3.0 station that channel shares several of the Phoenix area stations. If memory serves, it includes the 3.0 signals of the ABC and Fox stations. They’ve worked out a channel share agreement so these stations can continue to run programs (including subchannels) in the 1.0 HDTV format.

My guess is that KOXO and the other stations in the Portland group will do something similar, with the four stations running on one tower in 3.0 vis channel sharing, while the other three run in 1.0 via channel sharing on the other three towers. It’s worth noting that none of them have announced a formal startup date nor established Facebook or website pages that I’m aware of. RabbitEars currently shows at least two on air with four feeds all running YouToo on a test basis.

LinleyG
    Participant

KKEI-CD RF36, Vir.38 is again on its third day of very low signal amplitude. I measure it as a bit more than 25 dB below its normal amplitude which puts its power output at about 35 Watts. It took them five days to fix it the last time this happened; we will see.

Commenting on a previous posting. I am not at all sure whether all of WatchTV’s Portland stations are set up for ATSC3 or not. The report they sent the FCC when they applied to have their ATSC3 STA extended said that four of the transmitters were so equipped. However I only ever observed their channel 20 transmitter on the air with an ATSC3 signal. During that period, the only WatchTV transmitters I saw on at all were channel 20 in ATSC3 and channel 41 in ATSC1.

Incidentally, as was noted above, the FCC is now accepting applications to convert to ATSC3. The FCC’s LMS Search site even has an official purpose for application of “Modification of License (Next Gen)” for this type of application. A global search for “Next Gen” applications tonight reveals only four. All are Oregon WatchTV LP and translator stations: stations serving Medford, Astoria, Ashland and Redmond/Prineville. LP and translator stations are not required to simulcast a signal in ATSC1 and WatchTV says it will not.

jr_tech
    Participant

Curious about the observation of the ch 20 ATSC3 signal… ATSC3 receiver? or does 3 exhibit a distinctive spectrum? perhaps a different reference frequency?

LinleyG
    Participant

The ATSC3 spectrum is distinctly different from that of ATSC1. I have the photos but cannot figure out how to attach them here.

In words then, an ATSC1 signal is 5.38 MHz wide with rounded shoulders at both band edges. But, more prominently, an ATSC1 signal has a CW carrier at 309.4 kHz above the lower channel edge that sticks out like a thumb.

The ATSC3 signal is wider at 5.83 MHz plus it has very sharp shoulders at both ends of the channel spectrum. And, above all else, it does not have a pilot signal.

As far as I know, there are no consumer grade ATSC3 receivers available yet. There are one or two very expensive instrumentation-type receivers on the market but nothing affordable. The https://www.tvtechnology.com/ site says that such receivers will be available within a year or so.

jr_tech
    Participant

Thanks! I should be able to identify an ATSC3 signal using that description.

Broadway
    Participant

A thousand/or so OTA live signals coming to my cell phone soon!

LinleyG
    Participant

If you want to brave the site (long load time: you may view the photos I previously posted in Message 8798 at this site: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/168423-portland-hdtv-294.html

jr_tech
    Participant

Thanks again…is the dip about 250 khz up from the bottom edge a regular feature that I might detect by tuning my ICOM 8500 across the channel?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Linley’s images: (click image for large version)

ATSC 1.0

ATSC 3.0

Truth be told, these (and all digital RF spectrum images) are pretty boring compared to the obsolete NTSC images. Analog was so much more picturesque.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.