Towers & Such 2017

This topic contains 74 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder–and not necessarily in a flippant way–whether ATSC 3.0 converters will have NTSC outputs so that I can continue to use my CRT televisions without having to buy an additional HDMI to NTSC converter.

Broadway
    Participant

Andy Brown
    Participant

I’ll venture a guess that this won’t adhere to the 5 year phase out plan, won’t be as invasive or controlling (what you watch, and broadcaster controlled turning on of your set) as currently called for. I say this because of two factors, one is the FCC’s track record of never getting these transitions done on the projected timelines and two, the power at the FCC now rests in the pro big business GOP and whether you agree or not, there are national political power changes on the horizon. I don’t believe this plan will survive in its current form.

Also, Alfredo, forget it, that won’t happen. NTSC is dead, there will be no mandated converter boxes and without that, the chance for an NTSC output is microscopic. As it is as currently planned, everyone has to get new receivers by the deadline.

Also ATSC discussions shouldn’t be in Towers and Such. There is an FCC rules thread and several ATSC threads.

Andy Brown
    Participant

As Towers and such 2017 approaches its final weeks in rotation, this breaking news might carry over into the next year’s version.

Bustos has filed for two Portland translators as part of the AM Revitalization act, sandwiching them between existing services both primary and secondary, marginalizing LPFM services and interfering with some primary services.

Much too involved and time consuming to analyze the details right now, but I’ll give those curious a head start.

101.5 App 20171212AAB
    99.9 App 20171212AAF

LPFM Operators on those channels, if you can prove you have listeners inside the proposed 60 dBu contour of either of these, you can successfully block them by filing either a Petition To Deny (involved) or an Informal Objection (simpler but tedious) and stop these proposals in their tracks but you must act fast.

See: https://feedback.pdxradio.com/forums/topic/lpfm-portland-metro-review-licensed-cps-applications/page/23/#post-32607 for details and further links to a full explanation of what said objection should contain. Act fast since the FCC is granting these AM Revitalization translators quickly.

shortcut to example: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101769900&formid=917&fac_num=155139

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

“AM revitalization”? Seriously? In 2017 that’s a complete oxymoron.

whether ATSC 3.0 converters will have NTSC outputs so that I can continue to use my CRT televisions

What Andy said.

Don’t count on finding real audio outputs either. I’ve been shopping around for my first satellite receiver (finally decided to take the plunge) and I can’t even find newer ones with fukkin’ L/R RCA outputs. I guess that would be great if my stereo system had HDMI or TOSLINK (don’t get me started on that) inputs but neither technology existed in the 1970s.

You know why, right? Market shaping. There’s no HDCP on analog outputs. If they had included analogue outputs then older stuff would work, and you wouldn’t need to buy all new equipment just to make things function together. It’s all profit through planned obsolescence, pure and simple.

boisebill
    Participant

You end up spending another $12 to $25 for an HDMI to RCA analog converter. Even Walmart’s got them.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I’d just get a PCI-based receiver for the dumputer and operate it probably with Myth-TV. My 20-year old Sound Blaster has a very good analog output that works just as well as the rest of them. Because fuck having to buy yet another set top box (and having yet another remote to lose or break).

But that’s how I’d do it.

Boise– how do the DACs in those things generally rate anyways? I guess for that price point you probably couldn’t expect a Wolfson (or maybe you can?) but, is the output audio as close to or better than the original input stream, fidelity wise, or are they mostly garbage?

Andy Brown
    Participant

““AM revitalization”? Seriously? In 2017 that’s a complete oxymoron.

Not to the government. It’s a new way of making money. Commercial operators are buying translators by the dozens and filling out the forms to move them hundreds of miles and jamming them into already saturated markets where their presence will marginalize other full power stations, other secondary stations and not provide new programming. It’s a hand out to the AM licensees half of whom are big corporate clusters that are already familiar with how to abuse the translator rules for fun and profit. The government directly benefits financially because moving and relicensing these translators requires fees for every form and usually it takes several applications to file a proposal that will be acceptable (i.e. no objections filed). The government gets the filing fees each time a form is submitted.

semoochie
    Participant

I was listening to KIEV-LP 102.5 and it’s now Classic Country. That’s a far cry from Russian!

KXRU-ED
    Participant

With such a big number of Russian language stations in one market, it’s hard to gain enough finacial support to run one, especially if you are a LPFM (aka non commercial & limited coverage) and don’t have a lot of radio knowledge how to run a station. I am guessing they are relying on listeners support. And since the Russian community didn’t show the love, they made the switch in hopes to find it somewhere else. Here is a screenshot from their website.
    Website screenshot

KXRU-ED
    Participant

The picture doesn’t wanna post. But here is their website:

https://KIEV.IO

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  KXRU-ED.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Happy 31th [sic] of December.

Another new year, another new thread:

Towers & Things 2018

washnotore
    Participant

Something to look forward to in 2018. Phoenix To Serve As “Model Market” – For ATSC 3.0 Ten stations in the market will deploy the next-generation TV standard before early April. Here localy we Watch TV working on ATSC 3.0 roll out.

Meanwhile LG is coming out with new receivers that have both ATSC 1.0 AND 3.0 receivers. Are supposed to be available soon. All be it in First Generation. Unless there is some type of Firmware/Software upgrade option that is built in for these new smart sets. You may want to wait until the dust settles.

washnotore
    Participant

It been awhile since Watch TV. Was testing there ATSC 3.0 signals on Channel 20.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I really think this thread would be a better place to post that, washnotore:

Towers & Such & Things 2018

Just in case you missed it.

Dan, it’s time to close and archive this edition.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Towers & Such 2017’ is closed to new replies.