Towers & Such 2017

This topic contains 45 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  KXRU-ED 3 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

KOIN’s application to move to channel 25 has been granted.

msndrspdx
    Participant

On my Facebook page’s newsfeed last night, I came across a “suggested post” from Srarlight Broadcasting LLC in Burns. They report that their FM station there, KSQB, is now at full power and is now promoting itself as Star 92.7. Their AM station there is awaiting the arrival of new parts for that transmitter and is expected to return to the air within the next few days. KSQB is expecting a big bump in listenership with the upcoming eclipse. The post also gave a street address for their studio: 302 South Broadway in Burns. Burns is within the totality zone and is expecting a lot of folks and their RVs to hit town starting on Aug. 18 for the eclipse on the morning of the 21st.

washnotore
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In this era wherein the public is saturated with entertainment options, people have very short memories. Some years ago, I remember my former manager being surprised when he saw a billboard for KPAM. He could not fathom that there were any AM stations still on the air in 2005. He later said that when he bought a truck with a radio that could receive FM, he lost track of what was available on AM.

washnotore
    Participant

I recently notice that there’s new Google Earth imagery. Dated 5/19/2017 that covers Walnut Grove, Calif, South a Sacramento.

The levee break that flooded the KCRA/KMAX/KQCA television tower site is obvious. So now all you see is the island that was once flooded.

As you look at Google Earth you can see the building is surrounded by water. So hopefully they were able to keep the water out.

But not to worry the levee break has been since repaired. And the island is now high and dry.

You need to turn Google maps 3D to see the flood waters.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2648304,-121.4900816,226m/data=!3m1!1e3

washnotore
    Participant

One wireless carrier, has notify a few Low Power TV stations. In Southern Oregon and Central Washington. To vacate there out of core channels. So that it may begin testing for 600 Mhz band service.

washnotore
    Participant

Broadcast Tower Lease Shuffles In The Big Apple

http://www.insideradio.com/free/empire-state-building-locked-in-tower-fee-suit-signs-fms/article_5ccfd07a-775a-11e7-a1a6-f37d8022c1e0.html

Cheap rent/Leases in this market is hard to come by.

SBC97281
    Participant

Semoochie pointed out that:

KGON has an HD3. It’s hard to tell on the portable but looks like they moved Metal to there and the Blues which had recently been on KRSK-HD2 to their HD2. KRSK-HD2 is now Radio Disney, a somewhat better fit.

KGON has played with that HD3 now since the original posting and appears to have now permanently moved The Metal Station to the HD3 since bouncing it about a couple times.

I have several HD Radio’s and none of them decode the KGON-HD3 channel clearly or consistently. I am not sure what logic goes through their minds in taking an audience possibly built with Metal on the HD2 and then tossing them
    aside to introduce Blues and not verifying the replacement idea works. It is almost like broadcast radio is trying to destroy itself with moves like this. At the point in time I decide it is worthwhile to pay for subscription music like Pandora, Sirius, or the like, the willingness to go elsewhere, like broadcast, decreases rapidly.

But the KGON folks are supposed to be smart with lots of money behind them so it may just be me who is confused.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Populating HD3 is more about form then function, more about image than substance. HD3 is located on the edge of the waveform and like the old SCA-3 is the most likely to get damaged during propagation. The big players will populate HD3 because their competitors do and in so doing create lots of ACI on each other.

washnotore
    Participant

Down in Northern California. There trying to solve a DTV repack problem. So here is the working solution. UHF Channel 14 is proving to be a problem for DTV stations. Now that the repack shuffle is underway.

There’s been a flurry of filing activity centered on ION station KKPX-TV San Francisco and its channel 14 problem. All thanks to land base mobile communications. Just below the UHF TV band.

These problems also hampered KTNC-TV in Concord, CA. Not being able to go full power on UHF 14. Since the 2009 DTV Switch Over. KTNC is now channel sharing with a sister station in the Bay Area.

KKPX-TV filed a nearly complete application for channel 33. KSPX-TV ION Sacramento filed for channel 21 in place of channel 22. To make things for interesting in the KSPX-TV filing that Tribune owned station KTXL-TV will move from channel 33 to 22. KTXL-TV filed for channel 22 at the end of all of this.

KDJT-CD Salinas/Monterey a Uninvison owned station, which was staying on 33 filed for channel 26. Just south of the Bay Area.

Four stations had to move around to solve the KKPX-TV channel 14 problem. KKPX-TV now has a clear channel on 33.

Five Sacramento stations, KSPX-TV, KTXL-TV, KQCA-TV, KMAX-TV, KOVR-TV and KTFK-TV will now occupy channels 21-26 respectively.

It also should be noted that UHF Channels 14-18 in the Bay Area. Are pretty much useless to digital television. Since even more land base mobile communications. Were allocated by the FCC back in 1970’s.

boisebill
    Participant

Running a low bit rate HD3 just so you can program a translator is the main use I’ve seen. Loophole says you can feed the translator any way you want to so it doesn’t have to sound as bad as the HD3 it’s supposedly rebroadcasting.

boisebill
    Participant

The 107.9 translator for Salem’s AM was nixed by the FCC due to KHPE objections.

washnotore
    Participant

Due to the wildfires in Northern Calif. Religious caster One Ministries is unable to stream programing. To it’s translators across there viewing area. This is due to there broadcast hub being based in Santa Rosa. Most of there programing streams. Comes from Better Life in Grants Pass.

boisebill
    Participant

Salem/KDZR is trying one more time to get a translator frequency. 105.5.
    Wonder about the LPFMs’?
    https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101768435&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Andy Brown
    Participant

Looks pretty dicey for KXRU. I’ve let them know about this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.