Towers & Such 2017

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  washnotore 4 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

An old reliable friend begins another year.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

As I write this, K288FT (105.5 MHz) is still off the air. Does anybody know what happened?

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s either no power or the transmitter is shutting itself down because the ice on the antenna drives the VSWR too high to operate. Having put in my time watching over Portland area transmitters in AM, FM and TV service, it’s rarely anything but the aforementioned when there are weather conditions like this. Especially since the site is a stand alone north of 26 (north of Banks) with probably no standby power and lots of trees, a downed power line in that area makes total sense. If not that, it’s ice. Of course, it might just be that no one pays attention to it, after all, it’s just one of a bazillion translators they have. I’m sure those that like the swill that they broadcast will let them know eventually.

washnotore
    Participant

Low-power TV stations serving niches could cede airwaves to Wi-Fi

http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Low-power-TV-stations-serving-niches-could-cede-10857083.php#photo-12174153

A great article on a low power broadcaster in Northern California.

KXRU-ED
    Participant

As I write this, K288FT (105.5 MHz) is still off the air. Does anybody know what happened?

Whatever the reason is – we don’t complain! Hopefully they go off completely 🙂

washnotore
    Participant

Andy Brown
    Participant

DIGITAL LPTV APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO COVER K26GJ-D callsign KJYY-LD Channel 26 Portland and the CP has been cancelled.

http://bit.ly/2mE3JD1

washnotore
    Participant

A North Dakota AM station wants to give up its 50kW daytime signal and end its rare setup of using separate day and night transmission sites.

iHeartMedia’s KXMR/710 (Bismarck) currently uses 50kW day and 13kW critical hours from a site along Hwy 94 east of Bismarck, and then 4kW night from a site south of the city near the Missouri River. It’s applied to use the 4kW facility both day and night with the same directional antenna pattern.

The 50kW facility would be silenced. Despite the power reduction, the KXMR would still have a large daytime coverage area due to North Dakota’s high ground conductivity in the northern plains.

semoochie
    Participant

We’re going to see a lot more of this sort of thing.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Given that KXMR is an iHeart station, they are likely eager to make some quick money on the real estate occupied by the 50 kW transmitter site. This would be somewhat similar (but not as drastic) as what happened in Columbus, GA with WDAK and WHAL. Both stations ended up diplexed into a single tower with low nighttime powers. In the case of WDAK, nighttime power is 38 Watts.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“KXMR would still have a large daytime coverage area due to North Dakota’s high ground conductivity in the northern plains.”

Not really, in comparison it’s a big downgrade in coverage. Their proposed (existing night) 2 mV contour falls about where their present 50 kW 5 mV coverage is. See:

http://bit.ly/2p5DMSB

“We’re going to see a lot more of this sort of thing.”

I doubt that. First, there aren’t many stations operating with separate day and night facilities which is what makes this attractive, i.e. it requires next to no money to make it happen since the ‘new’ day facility is already on line as the ‘night’ facility.
    Second, this is about Chump Channel’s failure to be solvent and their forthcoming bankruptcy filing and the positioning of their assets pre-bankruptcy after which THEY HAVE LITTLE TO NO SAY IN THE SALE OF THEIR properties. Third, there is not much support at the FCC for removing Class A (formerly Class I) service station coverage to something less. At least not in the past. The intent was to be operating on a clear channel for a reason: a huge coverage area. Finally, a fourth reason is that there aren’t many of these flamethrowers left on valuable real estate. They have already been moved out of those areas where the real estate value had skyrocketed. After all, something has to pay to relocate tower arrays and do all the engineering. Finally, fifth on my list would be the fact that any company owning one of these behemoth dinosaurs is making money or trying to sell it and downgrading it is not a sales point especially if it means spending a ton of dough to do it. As I’ve alluded to many times, hanging on to the license for the big government buy out down the road is kind of a life insurance policy for some of these licensees. Nope, I truly doubt you will see that many downgrades like this at all.

“Given that KXMR is an iHeart station, they are likely eager to make some quick money on the real estate occupied by the 50 kW transmitter site. “

Possibly but that only rings true if the land is owned by a Clear Channel company other then iHeart. Otherwise what’s the point? If iHeart owns the property then the big influx of cash will only land in the hands of the bankruptcy court due to the time it takes to actually get the FCC approval, dismantle and consumate a sale. It’s possible they want to do this either to obtain income to another one of their companies other then iHeart OR the land is leased and they want to get out of a leasehold payment which complicates their bankruptcy.

Again, this is about the failure of iHeart. Nothing more.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

KOIN and KRCW are off the air this morning.

jr_tech
    Participant

KRCW 32 (33 OTA) is still off, but if I manually punch in 32-1 or 32-2 or 32-3, I get a weak signal with KRCW programming. The channel 5 transmitter is still on the air, carrying the programming from the Sylvan site.

jr_tech
    Participant

KCRW 32 (33 OTA) back on at 11:25:40… TV picture is good and stable, but I note that the digital reference pilot frequency is jumping around a bit (several hundred Hz).

washnotore
    Participant

FCC Next AM-On-FM Translator Filing Windows for 2017

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0601/FCC-17-67A1.pdf

The FCC says it will begin taking applications for new FM translators to relay AM signals on July 26, 2017. The opportunity follows up on a window last year that allowed existing translators to be moved up to 250 miles. Once again, class C and D stations will get first crack since they have the weakest signals (AM class C’s are the 1kW stations transmitting on 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450, and 1490, while class D’s are those that use less than 250 Watts at night).

The first round of applicants will get an opportunity to amend their proposed facilities to resolve any conflicts before the larger class A and B AM stations can apply. Despite the rush of new translators in the past few years, a majority of AM stations still do not have an FM translator.

However, with the recent sign-on of new translators and low-power FM stations, the dial in large cities like Portland and Seattle is likely too crowded for any new translators with full-market coverage.

And than of course there’s alaway a spot for AM on FM HD channel as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.