Towers & Stuff 2016 Edition

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    boisebill
    Participant

$$$
    This is a new one to me.
    “This tower was originally the center tower of a five tower array built by the United States Commerce Department Aeronautics Branch as part of the Radio Range navigation system.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The site to which KODL will be moving appears to be an old Adcock range station:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_radio_range#Technology

These were stations that broadcast the Morse letters “A” and “N,” each on different directional patterns. At the intersection of the quadrants defined by these patterns, a steady tone would be heard (produced by the A superimposed over the N).

Looking at a Google Earth view of KODL’s existing site, I see that it is across the street from a residential neighborhood, whereas the site to which they desire to move is in the country. My guess is that they want to make some quick cash from selling their existing transmitter site to a developer. I wonder in what kind of shape the ground system at the old Adcock tower might be.

Andy Brown
    Participant

K248CD’s application for a directional antenna and more power (about 6 or 7 posts back) has been granted.

washnotore
    Participant
    washnotore
    Participant

For the second time in the last four years. Boston TV had transmitter failure.

NERW 10/24/2016: Antenna Failure Switches Off Boston TV

Not a good thing during football season. This big east coast market will see NBC affiliation shift soon.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Definitely not a good thing, but in truth the cable penetration these days is so high and direct feeds to cable head ends so prevalent (in big markets especially) that it’s nowhere the disaster that it would have been in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Still, a lot of money didn’t get made and they will be looking for someone to blame.

Also, since it was a master antenna failure they were able to route the transmitters to the lower half of the antenna that was used only by WGBH and put WGBH into their stand by antenna.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The story about the failing master antenna in Boston reminds me of what happened on KPAM this morning. Sometime in the 8 o’clock hour, the carrier dropped. A few minutes later, KPAM returned to the air at reduced power, only to have the carrier drop repeatedly. However, the programming continued without missing a beat. I wonder if the air talent was even aware of the technical problems. One could easily argue that they shouldn’t be, as that would be a distraction. This is quite different than the situation in 1996 or, perhaps, even 2000, where it generally would not have made sense to keep the programming going if the transmitter went off the air.

lastday
    Participant

In the streaming age don’t they keep going as long as streaming is up? KZEL definitely does. Transmitter can be down but streaming goes on as if there’s no problem.

Broadway
    Participant

Of course if you’re monitoring off the PGM setting on the console verses the ON AIR setting….

DarkStar
    Participant

In the age of profanity delays and HD radio, studios no longer directly monitor their on-air audio. If they’re lucky though, they do get a silence sensor!

jr_tech
    Participant

The echo produced by the delay inherent in digital stl links by itself is annoying, even if there is no hd or profanity delay. I suspect that the likelyhood of a major market station monitoring “on air” these days is very small.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KKPZ, in its pre-IBOC days, monitored off the air. They used a T1 line to send their audio to the transmitter site. I am not sure what processing equipment they used.

Interestingly, when I was at WITR in the late 1990s, our new Optimod 8200 produced just enough latency to be noticeable when talking on mic.

Some stations do seem to keep the profanity delay on at all times–I noticed this by dial surfing during the Presidential debates. I think that KPAM was one of the delayed stations.

e_dawg
    Participant

I’ll be happy if 102.7 KYTE-FM move to Portland West Hills and K103 (KKCW) and 104.1 THE FISH (KFIS) moves 1 dial up to 103.5 and 104.3 FM.

washnotore
    Participant

The FCC’s second AM revitalization window for 250-mile FM translator moves ended last week (Nov 4). There will be more windows next year (2017) for AM stations to apply for new FM translator licenses, rather than move them.

I’m not sure of the total count. On how many low power stations in Norhwest were moved. Portland only had a handful moves. KKPZ was the only local station. That got there low power K236CA up and running already.

boisebill
    Participant

The 3-way bid for the non-Comm 98.3 Dallas OR has been figured out. Calvary Chapel of McMinnville has dropped out and the remaining two, Mano A Mano Family Center and Capital Community Television will share time!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.