Towers & Stuff 2016 Edition

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

They even have shortwave. I will have to see if I can catch the shortwave simulcast of Radio mil on 6010 kHz.

washnotore
    Participant
    Zander
    Participant

KGDD 1150AM has was off the air yesterday, I’m not sure how long they have been off. Today, it’s dead carrier

washnotore
    Participant
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

From the article:

“The DJs sound like you and they talk about things that you’re interested in,” said Jay Blessed, an online DJ who has listened to various unlicensed stations since she moved from Trinidad to Brooklyn more than a decade ago.

“You call them up and say, ‘I want to hear this song,’ and they play it for you,” Blessed said. “It’s interactive. It’s engaging. It’s communal.”

I have foggy memories of days where most radio stations were programmed like this.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Highly popular Class D KXRY (XRAY FM) is working out the details but will soon appear on HD-3 of KQAC 89.9 (previously they were on HD-2). This restores “fill in” status and will enable the K296FT West Haven 107.1 translator to execute the existing CP upgrade to 99 watts with DA (directional antenna) which will increase their east west coverage slightly. Here’s the KXRY, K296FT(lic) and K296FT (CP) signals superimposed on a Google Map. This also means they can feed the translator by any terrestrial means, i.e. the internet.

jr_tech
    Participant

Huh? 89.9 hd-2 is *still* carrying KZME programming as I believe they always have, since KZME moved off of KMHD hd-2. 89.9 is still running continuous reggae on hd-4. Anyway, it sounds like a good plan for KXRY.

semoochie
    Participant

KLVP has been granted an increase in power for their auxiliary facility from 11KW to 52KW at the same location, lower on the Stonehenge tower than the main signal.

washnotore
    Participant

This story comes from Northwest Broadcasters website

CHMJ 730 AM Vancouver BC transmitter site destroyed by a large urban wildfire

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/burns-bog-fire-1.3662928

The AM station has relocated to a temp site in downtown area at only 500 watts

washnotore
    Participant

The Case of The Missing Tower

An FM translator is currently transmitting from a tree after its tower mysteriously vanished. Radio 74 Internationale tells the FCC that it discovered on Aug. 24 that someone had removed the tower for K263AP/100.5 (Mandan, ND), which actually transmits from a rural area south of Bismarck-Mandan, ND area.

In a request for special temporary authority (STA), the station tells the FCC it’s transmitting from an eight-meter tree with 50 Watts. “The situation could continue for yet several weeks or months until either we determine exactly who removed the tower, why, and can seek its return, or…install another tower,” the filing says. K263AP carries Radio 74 Internationale by relaying KJIT-LP/106.7 (Bismarck, ND).

Andy Brown
    Participant

K248CD 97.5 (Edward Distell) has applied under the AM Revitalization Rules to move the translator to Channel 228 93.5 and implement a radically directional antenna https://is.gd/XQaFr8 in order to raise power from 0.023 kW to 0.240 kW and rebroadcast 1390 KZZD Salem. The antenna remains at Prospect Hill (about 11 km outside downtown Salem). If granted the coverage in Salem proper will clearly improve but there will be no signal south and limited coverage to the northwest. Probably a good trade off all factors considered, and it appears they can colocate with third adjacent K225BF Turner and clear the interference requirement.

https://is.gd/xGJMTw

Broadway
    Participant

Might get some blowback from KKNU 93.3…a strong signal in Salem already.

boisebill
    Participant
    washnotore
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

KODL The Dalles 1440, originally licensed in 1940, is applying to downsize its signal from 5 kW day ND/1 kW night DA, to 1 kW day ND/0.023 kW night ND.

They are taking over an old tower previously part of a 5 tower array that is not in use.

Why they are doing this is unknown, but it sure is going to reduce their coverage.

https://is.gd/ozJpib

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.