Towers & Stuff 2016 Edition

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant
    jr_tech
    Participant

KPFR seems to be pretty intermittent here, they were just on for a few minutes then dropped out again. Perhaps the transmitter is now set up to drop carrier when audio is lost, and the dish is getting intermittent signal. I am Listening to the morning (10-12am) folk program from KTCB, with only minor interruptions from KPFR. 🙂

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I should note that I am no longer hearing KYTE on 102.7; I just hear the Russian station (KIEV-LP). Has KYTE been off the air?

semoochie
    Participant

Maybe, they’re preparing to move.

jr_tech
    Participant

Oddly, sometimes I seem to get a stronger signal from KIEV with my antenna pointed about 220 degrees… bounce off of Bald peak?? Much of the time KYTE is coverered up, but I still hear it on occasion.

Broadway
    Participant

Has KYTE been off the air?
    Hear them in Salem ok now…same scratchy signal…

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am now hearing KYTE. It is very weak and periodically fades out. I think that my bunny brain had just temporarily been fooled. 🙂

washnotore
    Participant

I decided to place this bit of TV news under Tower & Such. Since it’s mainly about Television (not radio) and the up coming spectrum action.

Found some information on Rabbitears website. Which pertain to some Television stations news here in Oregon and Washington.

Sister stations KGW 8 (8)/KING 5 (48) will retain there NBC affiliation, following a long-term affiliation agreement between NBC and Tegna Media. The affiliation was renewed for all 16 of Tegna’s NBC stations. Both stations will debut ab and new news set. Which will be up and and running by mid month.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160114005670/en/TEGNA-Media-NBC-Announce-Affiliation-Agreement

Meredith Corporation has added a Memorandum of Understanding to its applications to transfer control of its stations to Meredith Media General Corporation, following anticipated consummation of the merger with Media General. The Memorandum states that for the purposes of the incentive auction, the successor company would use Meredith’s FRN and password associated with each station as of Dec. 8, 2015, and that the FCC will not liable for any use of the shared FRN and password. The Memorandum also binds the successor company to whatever actions are taken by Meredith on behalf of each station before consummation of the merger. KPTV 12 (12) and KPDX 49 (30) are the only auction-eligible stations involved in the merger with potential viewers in Portland Market.

washnotore
    Participant

This from the Upper Midwest Broadcasting web site
    http://www.northpine.com

Couple of radion stations in near Rapid City, South Dakota are off the air becuase of this.

Jan Charles Gray’s Mount Rushmore Broadcasting has filed new requests with the FCC for special temporary authority to keep its four radio stations on the southern end of the Black Hills off the air. KZMX/580 (Hot Springs, SD), KZMX-FM/96.7 (Hot Springs, SD), KFCR/1490 (Custer, SD), and KAWK/105.1 (Custer, SD) have been off the air for much of the past decade, with brief resumptions to keep the licenses active. The company writes in its STA requests, “MRBI has historically experienced difficulty attracting qualified candidates to employ, and, once employed, maintaining those staff members for any length of time. This has become an issue once again. The station’s location coupled with harsh winter weather have caused MRBI to lose its staff. Thus, it has no choice but to take the station off the air.” The stations have each made ten or more STA requests in the past decade, citing staffing and technical problems.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Except you don’t need people at all anymore to run radio stations. One person in a single “office” during business hours is all that is needed to run an entire cluster. If that’s not affordable for Mr. Gray, he can sell off three of the four to raise the funds to run one of them with a staff, or something like that. I’ll bet he’s wanting to sell or move them all but no one wants them for the asking price. As much as I would like to feel otherwise, it’s just not fathomable that for ten years this guy has not found a solution other then constant STA’s to remain silent. This is challengeable at license renewal but again, if no one cares to operate them properly, there is no reason for the FCC to not just keep granting his requests.

Chico
    Participant

Some thirty or so other Rapid City stations manage to stay “staffed” and on the air even through the winter. Maybe this guy is just an awful human who people run away from the first chance they get??

Or, yeah, he has no intention of taking the effort to put these suckers on the air and actually running a business instead of being a spectrum squatter.

boisebill
    Participant
    washnotore
    Participant

The broadcast signal from station WJLP-TV freezes several times an hour. Station broacast on Low VHF channel 3, in New York City. The station’s engineer indicated that something outside of their building in Midtown Manhattan is interfering with their signal. They are attempting to locate the source of the interference and to shut it down.

washnotore
    Participant

ATSC Approves ATSC 3.0 ‘Bootstrap’ As Full Standard for Over the Air DTV.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/2016/03/atsc-approves-atsc-3-0-bootstrap-as-full-standard/

And yes Sinclair Broadcasting had a part in this as well.

e_dawg
    Participant

I’m in Mexico City for a week. I’m surprised how many radio stations does Mexico City have. Also, especially the AM spacing some stations are 2 channels apart instead of 4 channels apart for AM. For example, 690 AM XEN, 710 XEMP, and XEX 730 AM, etc. At least Mexico City have different variety of Spanish language format unlike Portland only have Banda (Gupera) format and Spanish Christian Format.

http://worldradiomap.com/mx/mexico

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.