Towers 'N' STUFF 2015 Edition!

This topic contains 96 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Dxer1969 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)
  • Author

washnotore
    Participant

It appears KXTG AM is off the air this Saturday evening. With the Oregon Ducks game only to be heard on 102.9 FM

e_dawg
    Participant

Since KWLZ 96.3 is on the air right now. I only full power move-in left that I can think of is moving 102.7 KYTE into Portland area, but they have to move K103 to 103.5 and 104.1 The Fish to 104.3. I think that would be impossible at the moment.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t see K103 ever agreeing to decrease power so the only way additional “local” signals will be added is if everything eventually goes digital, which is too far down the road to project. Off the top of my head, 104.3 in Centralia/Chehalis would be nearly impossible to move.

washnotore
    Participant

Michael Finney, KGO-TV On Your Side reporter, did a fairly complete review of the upcoming channel auction.

http://abc7news.com/entertainment/tv-wireless-landscape-could-change-with-fcc-auction-/999231/

He explained how some stations might sell their spectrum and go off the air, while others might share a channel or move to a different channel. He said the big benefit will be more frequencies for broadband to give us faster service.

One thing he said that I didn’t know, low power stations are not eligible for the auction and they are subject to the whims of the high power stations when they make their decisions. If a high powered station wants a channel the low power station is on, the low power station has to move or go off the air.

A spokesman for Diya TV, which broadcasts on KTSF-TV 26.2, said that it’s the little guy who’s going to lose out in the end.

Finney said we should start seeing changes in early 2017.

It’s definitely going to be interesting to see what happens at the auction.

Andy Brown
    Participant

104.3 in Centralia is only 121 km from PDX, 211 required for KYTE to move in. And Semoochie is right, it can not be moved. Full C in Canada and a whole bunch of stuff on hat channel all over Washington and Oregon.

Not even a good fantasy, e-dawg.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?state=&call=&city=&arn=&serv=&vac=&freq=104.3&fre2=104.3&facid=&asrn=&class=&dkt=&list=1&dist=475&dlat2=45&mlat2=29&slat2=20&NS=N&dlon2=122&mlon2=41&slon2=40&EW=W&size=9

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=14ada13e88af5168e4db45bc0a796418&mc=true&node=se47.4.73_1207&rgn=div8

semoochie
    Participant

KLVP has filed its 302 and is apparently ready to begin program tests from the Stonehenge Tower.

e_dawg
    Participant

If KLVP moving to Stonehenge Tower, parts of their signal will overlap KLVU 107.1 in Salem and KLWO 90.3 in Longview, Wa. Maybe KLVP should swamp signals with 96.3 KWLZ.

semoochie
    Participant

I should think EMF would be delighted that their signals are overlapping: Fewer translators “needed”. I don’t expect a swap with KWLZ is in the offing because lately, they’ve been going after some prime real estate. KPRI San Diego is the latest commercial station to be taken away. They were a pretty big AOR at one time.

Broadway
    Participant

>>KPRI San Diego is the latest commercial station to be taken away
    Like all media groups EMF wants the most powerful coverage in all their markets they cover and with their current state of private financing they are in constant push of improving/market acquisition.

boisebill
    Participant

Once EMF doesn’t need the translator(s) they love to make $$$ selling them.

semoochie
    Participant

They also make money leasing them out, as is the case here. I wonder if EMF was the instigator of the new KBFF master antenna or just took advantage of it, by taking its old spot on the old master, assuming that’s what happened.(I wonder if I could have written that any more clumsily!)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  semoochie.

washnotore
    Participant

This from the Upper Midwest Broadcasting Website…

A radio sation in North Dakota is operating at reduced power due to construction of an electical line near its transmitter site. The station is The University of Northwestern-St. Paul’s KFNW/1200 (West Fargo, ND) normally uses 50kW day and 13kW night from a four-tower directional array, but tells the FCC that the electrical line construction is interfering with directional patterns. KFNW requested special temporary authority to transmit non-directionally with 10kW day and 3.25kW night until the situation is resolved.

semoochie
    Participant

As of October 12th, KLVP was not performing program tests, at least not at anytime I was driving down I-5, in front of the Stonehenge tower, receiving interference and losing stereo lock. Don’t they have to begin within ten days of filing their 302?

semoochie
    Participant

KLVP’s license to broadcast from the Stonehenge tower has been granted. I haven’t been by there for a few days. I wonder if they are yet.

jr_tech
    Participant

On 4/28/15 signal strength at my Hillsboro location was 38 db over S-9…. today it is nearly 50 db over S-9, so it appears that changes have been made.
    <<<< as seen on the tiny S meter under Pip, the dx cat’s right paw. (Icom 8500/discone antenna)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.