Towers 'N' STUFF 2015 Edition!

This topic contains 96 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Dxer1969 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

The three translators sharing an antenna at the site here:

http://binged.it/1GHCNdc

are replacing the antenna with a new one. No changes in coverage or anything for that matter.

K220IN 91.9 Calvary Chapel
    K275CH 102.9 EMF
    K283BL 104.5 Way Media

washnotore
    Participant

LPTV KMMC Ch. 40 in San Francisco. Has been taken off the air because their 2nd harmonic is interfering with an FAA radar. They hope to get it fixed within 3 weeks.

In the meantime the station has filed an STA with FCC.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101677407&formid=910&fac_num=30977

semoochie
    Participant

KISN-LP has applied to increase antenna height by adding an additional 31 meters and dropping to 1.5 watts.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Looks like they are trying to get to the top of the Union Pacific Tower (which their promotional photograph suggests they already are – but couldn’t be, not at 12 m AGL). This tower is a tad shorter (about ten feet) than the old (now aux) tower for 106.7

End result of this will be minimal, if any.

60 dBu contour remains exactly the same. Might help reception on the back and south side (Happy Valley, Clackamas).

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I had also wondered whether there would be any beneficial effects to KISN-LP moving up the tower but having to decrease power. The ERP is dropping by only 0.8 dB, which would be almost imperceptible. I noted yesterday that driving south on I-5 along the Willamette, I could see the top of Mt. Scott. Not surprisingly, reception of KISN-LP was pretty good.

I am curious, what transmitter output power is KISN-LP using to achieve its current and proposed ERP? I can’t find this information on the FCC’s FM query page.

semoochie
    Participant

Andy, that makes sense. I had envisioned them adding a 100 foot pole to the top of the tower. I was thinking that 106.7 had switched to a west hills based auxiliary antenna but I might have them confused with another station.

kb101engineer
    Participant

Andy Brown

“Looks like they are trying to get to the top of the Union Pacific Tower (which their promotional photograph suggests they already are – but couldn’t be, not at 12 m AGL). This tower is a tad shorter (about ten feet) than the old (now aux) tower for 106.7”

As a Union Pacific communications tech, I can verify that is not our tower on Mt. Scott.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Thanks for the correction. According to the ULS lookup, Union Pacific has licensed equipment there (KVR724) as does PGE, NWN, ALS, T-Mobile, Verizon, ATT and a whole host of other users. I think this tower was built in the early 1980’s (either that one or one of the others to the west of the 106.7 tower). I remember when it was built as I was up at the 106.7 installation when it was KMJK. I remember talking to a U.S. Army tech who was there one day and remember him telling me that Southern Pacific owned the tower. It might have been the tower on the north edge of the tower farm (see image). Southern Pacific was bought by Denver Rio in 1988 which became part of Union Pacific in 1996. When I saw those Union Pacific licenses in the ULS database I just assumed they owned it.

The tower is not a registered tower, so you can’t look it up in the ASR database.

You can’t link ULS results pages since it is a jsp site but you can go to it and plug in the coordinates with a radius of 0.001 km to see the list of users (multiple pages).

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchGeographic.jsp

KISN-LP NAD 27 coordinates 45 27 17 N 122 33 0 W
    convert to NAD 83 to use in ULS 45 27 16.4 N 12 33 4.3 W
    don’t forget to put in the radius

https://goo.gl/maps/64TNW

kb101engineer
    Participant

The Union Pacific tower is to the west of the other towers in it’s own enclosed compound.

45-27-17.3 N, 122-33-05.5 W
    KJO 37
    WPON 989
    KVR 724
    WPQS 412

At the time of the merger with SP in 96, the place was like a museum. Klystron based microwave with 2000 volt power supplies. I love old stuff, but it is a little scary when you can be called up there at 2 am to restore service. Fortunately they were still getting the guys out of Eugene for that. They had years of experience with it.

SP had started a project to replace it with new Harris Farinon digital radios. We lost no time in driving that to completion.

Now it’s all IP microwave. On layer 3 switches with the fiber routes, no outages. Theoretically. When there is a trouble, you telnet in and find the problem before even getting in your truck. Very different from the old days.

semoochie
    Participant

On May 7 I posted “KISN-LP has applied to increase antenna height by adding an additional 31 meters and dropping to 1.5 watts.” That construction permit modification has been granted. Also, the logjam on 100.7 appears to have been broken but that’s Andy’s story.

Andy Brown
    Participant

If you haven’t noticed the black eye on Entercom (and KNRK) these last 8 years since the infamous “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest in which participant Jennifer Strange lost her life, you need to clean your glasses.

The F.C.C. keeps trying to sweep this away under the carpet, but the plaintiffs have (IMO) finally put together some facts that seem to indicate The Commission has in fact ruled contrary to its own previous rulings. Ask any lawyer you know, if you are willing to dig and dig and dig through case law and find the “right stuff” to crack the case, and even if you can’t get the F.C.C. to acknowledge it, you can equip yourself to take the next step and bring it to the Court of Appeals. It will be interesting to see if that is what happens next, but we’ll have to wait and see how the Honorable Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary of the Commission, responds to this Application For Review.

The sequence leading to this began with the Grant of the Renewal Of License KNRK, WBEN and WWKB. That was followed by an Informal Objection filed 1/23/06 by (“Mrs. Stolz” or “Objector”) and an Amendment filed 12/01/2005
    Then there was a Consolidated Opposition to Informal Objection filed 9/28/07. Then the Informal Objection filed
    1/23/06 by (“Mrs. Stolz” or “Objector”) was denied on 3/18/2015 by letter Ref 1800B3-SS. Then there was a Petition for Reconsideration filed 04/24/2015 by ESTATE OF IRENE M. STOLZ, EDWARD R. STOLZ II, EXECUTOR. That was followed by an Opposition filed 05/07/2015 by ENTERCOM LICENSE, LLC and a Reply filed 05/19/2015 by EDWARD R. STOLZ, II, AND ESTATE OF IRENE M. STOLZ. The Commission again tried to make the matter go away when the Petition for Reconsideration iled 04/24/2015 by ESTATE OF IRENE M. STOLZ, EDWARD R. STOLZ II, EXECUTOR was dismissed 6/17/2015 by letter Ref 1800B3-MPM.

That brings us to this Application for Review filed
    07/16/2015 by EDWARD R. STOLZ, II, AND ESTATE OF IRENE M. STOLZ which is located here:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101683262&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

This document can also be found here:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/corrp_list.pl?Application_id=1604380&File_Prefix=BRH&App_Arn=20130926AUK&Facility_id=51213 Click on Application For Review and then scroll down to the attachment.

This is a great read and not too terribly long (9 pages), and summarizes the whole case.

IMO if the F.C.C. doesn’t come clean on this, it will go to the Circuit Court in D.C. I don’t know how deep the pockets of The Stolz Estate are, but they don’t seem like they are going to back down. Fact is, this entire affair has already cost Entercom hundreds of thousands of dollars. That black eye isn’t going to go away anytime soon. Oh, and trust me, 8 years in the F.C.C. courts is not even close to a record.

It ain’t over ’till it’s over.

Note: This is posted here because this is about the Grant Of Renewal Of License. Read the document!!

DarkStar
    Participant

Ed Stolz apparently has made a retirement hobby out of filing objections and petitions to the FCC, all in the name of his deceased wife Irene Stolz.

http://rbr.com/fcc-brushes-aside-aging-petitions/

DarkStar
    Participant

Dude… More Googling just leads to more and more… Ed Stolz II has quite the history with the FCC, starting out as president of Royce International Broadcasting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KUDL).

I also came across his name on R&R for 08/03/1984 with the article on the front page about a decade-long fight regarding KROQ-AM & FM. (http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-RandR/1980s/1984/RR-1984-08-03.pdf)

My guess is that he has a bone to pick with the FCC and Entercom specifically…

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s an expensive hobby if that is all it is.

washnotore
    Participant

Sander Operating Co. V LLC. Has amended its transfer of control application, explaining the spin-off of former Gannett broadcasting interests into a separate, independent company called TEGNA, Inc.

KGW TV And KING TV, Are once again (At least on paper) Full sister stations since 2013 sale. This means Gannett no longer violates the newspaper-broadcast cross-ownership (NBCO) rule. As it relates to Salem Statesman-Journal Newspaper.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.