Towers 'N' STUFF 2015 Edition!

This topic contains 96 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Dxer1969 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author

jr_tech
    Participant

I may have missed something, but I see no indication that the Turner transmitter (88.5) will be turned off… they are just adding a translator (100.7) for better coverage of the Salem area. Reception of KMUZ in the Hillsboro area perhaps will be better from the 100.7 translator after KQRZ-LP moves, but I am not counting on it.

W7PAT
    Participant

I don’t think anybody said that 88.5 would be turned off. You are correct, 100.7 is just a translator.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

That was my mistake. Thanks for clearing up the confusion in my bunny brain. 🙂

semoochie
    Participant

OK, what is this all about? https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101667665&formid=301&fac_num=949 Why would anyone significantly reduce antenna height on the same tower? Also, I always thought short spacing applied only to the newer station.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Why would anyone significantly reduce antenna height on the same tower?”

Downgrades usually occur in order to make it possible to move/upgrade/change channel somewhere else. This was rare when there were competing owners in the regional markets but now they are all owned by the same folks. I’m not going to run this down but if you’re really curious look at first adjacent channels they own near or at the distances required. At least that’s what I would do if I gave a crap.

” Also, I always thought short spacing applied only to the newer station.”

Gray’s a very good engineer, but his wording on the application could be better. Stations that are short spaced but compliant must be honored, that is to say you can’t make a change that would throw the other guy into non compliance. That is to say you can’t downgrade yourself and cause critically spaced 73.215 stations to also have to make a change to remain in a non overlap situation.

fieldstrength
    Participant

The station Andy and Smoochie are talking about is KBFF. It appears that Alpha has plans to build their own multiple use antenna at Stonehenge. In addition to this application to move KBFF down the tower a bit to the new antenna, there are also applications for auxiliary stations for both KXL and KUPL from this same antenna. I have no inside information on the stations or Stonehenge, so this is just a reasonable guess based on the information at hand. Putting KBFF on a new antenna might also be part of a plan to add HD, as Alpha recently upgraded KINK to HD.

e_dawg
    Participant

Why can’t kbff move to koin tv tower instead of Stonehenge tower.

chrisweiss
    Participant

There isn’t enough headroom available in the Sylvan commercial combiner to add KBFF. Even if there was, the suite is already maxed out for heat load and there would be nowhere to locate the filter sections required.

That being said, there would be room to move KBFF over to Skyline if 97.9 moved to Stonehenge. Now if only someone were to move off of the current Stonehenge combined antenna to make room for KLVP…

e_dawg
    Participant

If KBFF move to Skyline tower will they be short spaced with KJR-FM in Seattle? Will they have to downgrade to Class C0 if they move to Skyline tower? Also, is the reason why KBFF downgrade to Class C0 is it because of KSND 95.1 Mammouth or KUJZ 95.3 Creswell trying to upgrade or relocating their transmitter?

semoochie
    Participant

I can understand that KBFF would have to be downgraded to Class C0, if they make any change at all, that keeps them under 450 meters HAAT. It’s the idea that they would even consider reducing antenna height, that makes me think it might be an improved antenna design or something but it seems like doing so would put some people in a shadow.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KBOO’s 100.7 xlator K264AA is now fully licensed (302 accepted listed today in The Daily Digest) and should be broadcasting KMUZ in the Salem area as previously discussed. This should be a great improvement for KMUZ and the completion of the master plan hatched back in 2007 when we got them on in Turner. I feel good.

jr_tech
    Participant

Indeed 100.7 (KMUZ repeater) is on the air! At an antenna heading of about 215 degrees, I can null out out our local 100.7 well enough to hear it. However, KMUZ reception is *much* better on 88.5 at my Hillsboro location.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Unfortunately, I cannot null out the Beaverton 100.7 well enough to hear the KMUZ repeater.

washnotore
    Participant

semoochie
    Participant

Back on January 22nd, I posted that KBFF had applied to move their antenna. That application has been granted. https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101667665&formid=301&fac_num=949

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.