Towers & Such 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant

Wow, this not only puts many of these religious broadcasters on the hot seat but also the FCC…they now have to clarify these rules abuse mentioned.

Those frequency floodgates were opened up by the FCC in the 80’s under the Reagan administration and were very controversial then…would have to revisit those rulings.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Clarify?

What part don’t you get?

Did you read the petition?

Broadway
    Participant

Yes I read the opinion. Innes has issues with Calvary Chapel in their alleged abuse of their main studio waiver usage and neglecting to cover issues pertinent to the community. The FCC in the 80’s made changes/waivers in the rules to allow all these religious broadcasters to do what they’re doing. What were those rulings?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“The FCC in the 80’s made changes/waivers in the rules to allow all these religious broadcasters to do what they’re doing. What were those rulings?”

I am unaware of any such “rulings” that obviate any broadcaster from the rules that are in question in the Petition To Deny. When and if you find them, be sure to let us know.

Broadway
    Participant

>>I am unaware of any such “rulings” that obviate any broadcaster from the rules

My point…the rules were changed for these religious broadcasters. You were never able to have a radio station w/o a local studio. All translators were to be fed over the air from another FM in the area. The FCC changed that in the 80’s just for these broadcasters.

radiogeek
    Participant

From reading this, my question is if the rules were changed, or were the rules selectively ignored (till now)?

How serious could this be? EMF has been holding a lot of frequencies that could become new service.

Andy Brown
    Participant

This appears to be more about the fact that main studio waivers are “only granted if shown the local community would be served”. The petition states: “The FCC states that radio stations “must air programming that is responsive to the needs and problems of its local community of license” and “…each station licensee must affirmatively identify those needs and problems and then specifically treat those local matters that it deems to be significant in the news, public affairs, political and other programming that it airs.” We assert 32 radio channels is plainly redundant in spreading a narrow music format, delving into no local public affairs or political programming responsive to the needs and problems of its local community of license.

The FCC rules are pretty clear. What you are referring to appears to be allowing NCE’s to feed translators by any method available, but again, I am unaware any rule that obviates the responsibility of the requirement for waiving the main studio rule. Again, please find it and let us know.

In addition, the duplication of service by multiple translators and general abuse of the translator rules is pretty clear and anyone would be hard pressed to justify any mega broadcaster with a single station in a rural area having the ability to file on hundreds of translators to gain access to markets well outside their primary coverage when in fact these areas are already well served by NCE’s.

IMO these guys and all the groups like them are in big trouble. The FCC has been looking the other way for far too long, and the 1996 model for the commercial side is failing badly. The pressure to allow more diversity of ownership has resulted in the LPFM expansion, and many translators need to be done away with and the frequencies made available.

It’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of how long it takes.

semoochie
    Participant

It seems to me that there was a rule change, intended to allow or stop something, which I don’t remember. Seizing a loophole in this change of rules, we ended up with thousands of religious translators!

radiogeek
    Participant

Did Stonehedge lose power this morning (Feb 9)? KBOO is off air and KOPB sounds horrible.

jr_tech
    Participant

KOPB is at the Skyline site, not Stonehenge. Yes KBOO is still off (no modulation, but the transmitter is on, transmitting “dead air”), but as far as I can tell, it is the only Stonehenge station missing from the dial.

radiogeek
    Participant

You learn something every day. I thought OPB radio was in that big combiner antenna too, and KMHD was over at Skyline. OK, problem must be with KBOO which is no big surprise.

jr_tech
    Participant

KMHD, KBVM and KQAC are at the Sylvan site.

I am hearing sporadic audio from KBOO now.

semoochie
    Participant

KOPB moved from the old channel 10 site to the channel 49 tower and then to the Skyline tower.

radiogeek
    Participant

OK, now I’m confused. Sylvan is the complex of towers up the hill from the Sylvan overpass on 26, where a lot of TV comes from.

KGON tower is the big huge one that I think is on Council Crest with the combiner antenna that people were talking about a few months ago.

Which complex then is called Syline, and which is called Stonehenge?

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KGON tower is now called “Stonehenge Tower” [4700 S.W. Council Crest Drive]

Syline: You’re think of “Skyline Tower” [299 N.W. Skyline Blvd.]

“Sylvan Tower” [5516 S.W. Barnes Rd.]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 178 total)
  • The topic ‘Towers & Such 2014’ is closed to new replies.