Towers & Such 2014

Viewing 13 posts - 166 through 178 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Thank you. It is as I feared! I only have one radio that receives RBDS and it works on 103.7 but not 102.3. It could be the radio. I don’t get KYCH in HD either although the HD tuning stops on it.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“On the topic of the MP3 carriers on the Skyline signals, this is a weakness of the system that is used for the combining of the analog and HD signals. As the digital signals are “backfed” into the combiner system there is no way to fine tune the analog to digital isolation of the antenna. The two signals are being combined in the air so there is no way to keep the stronger signal from stepping on the weak one. If the analog and digital were both being generated by the same transmitter it would be a lot simpler to isolate the analog from the digital, and provide a consistent RF product in the field.”

Make it so, number one.

jr_tech
    Participant

On the topic of the MP3 carriers on the *Skyline* signals, this is a weakness of the system that is used for the combining of the analog and HD signals. As the digital signals are “backfed” into the combiner system there is no way to fine tune the analog to digital isolation of the antenna.

Do you use the same type of feed at the Sylvan site?

chrisweiss
    Participant

>>>Do you use the same type of feed at the Sylvan site?

Yes, although the isolation numbers for the antenna are better.

Andy – I wish I could, but it would require a new transmitter as the analog transmitters at the site can’t pass digital carriers at all, and the digital transmitters are too low power to produce the analog TPO required.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The low band VHF signals must be very strong in order to cause the type of interference described. Several hundred millivolts would be needed at the RF amplifier input to cause forward-biasing of the transistor junctions and consequently, distortion.

The fact that this kind of distortion can occur indicates that these tuners use broadband architectures where everything from 54 MHz through 800 MHz goes into the same RF amplifier and very likely into the same mixer. I don’t find this too surprising, as I recall reading (some 20 years ago) that some of the tuners in cable-ready TVs and VCRs were going to this architecture in order to avoid the complexity of having three or more different bands. These tuners are dual-conversion designs, where the incoming signals are first up-converted to approximately 1 GHz and then down-converted to the standard 41-47 MHz IF.

semoochie
    Participant

Just a couple of observations: I noticed that KPDQ-FM has resumed stereo operation. They turned it off when they moved to 93.9. It may have been back for several years. I just never realized until now. Also, I haven’t listened to 1330’s HD in years, so I tuned it in. I still haven’t heard it and I listened from the Ross Island Bridge to my house in Clackamas. The light blinked continuously but I never attained a lock, not even once. The analog signal was solid as a rock! I wonder how long this has been going on. By the way, they were running a Cougars game.

field_strength
    Participant

Semoochie, I think KPDQ-FM turns their stereo pilot on during music shows, particularly, the gospel music show on Saturday nights. During other times, I’m pretty sure they still run mono. I’m not certain, though – I’ll have to check next week to see if the pilot is off again.

semoochie
    Participant

KPDQ wasn’t playing music. At the time of the frequency shift, they gave as the reason for running in mono as an inability to feed the translators. They must have solved that problem.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Three Portland translators that were challenged at license renewal have had the petitions against them denied and their licenses have been renewed.

K288FT 105.5 Somewhat out of the metro, has no effect on the MX for LPFM’s on this channel closer in.

K220IN 91.9

K279BO 103.7

Also included in the denial are petitions against about two dozen other translators and primary service stations in Oregon owned by EMF and Calvary Chapel. see http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db1223/DOC-331212A2.txt

Here is the FCC’s letter to the Objectors in which their Petition To Deny is dismissed for failure to make a prima facie case against EMF and Calvary Chapel.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=55231

If the above link times out, you can use FM query for any of the three translators above and see their correspondence folder for a letter dated December 18.

Here is the original thread about this:

http://archive.pdxradio.com/2009-14/topic/religious-mega-broadcasters-in-big-trouble-fcc-acts-against

Broadway
    Participant

>>prima facie case
    Who would’a thunk it….

Someone is now sleeping better at night.
    Merry Christmas!

Andy Brown
    Participant

It was never in any doubt, but the point was made and is part of the public record. You shouldn’t underestimate that because next time around it becomes part of the record and easier to make the case should they continue to abuse their licenses (which they obviously do). It also helps petitioners understand what they must do to make the case.

Nothing has been worse for broadcasting than the following three items:

1. Unlimited ownership nationwide
    2. Relaxation of translator rules
    3. Raising of the in market ownership cap

No one has abused these rules changes more than

1. Large corporations with unlimited access to money
    2. Large non profit organizations (primarily of the religious type) with unlimited access to money

Broadway
    Participant

>>Nothing has been worse for broadcasting
    I actually agree with all your points Andy.
    Merry Christmas…

Broadway
    Participant

The 100.7 translator is on in Salem from Corvallis re-re-rebroadcasting EMF’s Klov…now 6 listenable signals coming to the mid-valley from their networks. Guess the freg. that KMUZ really needed fell thru cause of money?
    KBOO deal’n with the saints.

Viewing 13 posts - 166 through 178 (of 178 total)
  • The topic ‘Towers & Such 2014’ is closed to new replies.