Towers & Such 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

If you’re talking about WBBM-TV, they broadcast analog on Ch2 and digitally on VHF Ch. 3 from March 2009 until the analog shut off in June 2009, then in the all digital environment moved to VHF 12. During that time period, the dial was jammed with stations operating on both of their assignments, one analog and one digital, often on adjacent channels. The presence of low band analog signals around the country made any reception “test” pretty much useless in many markets. Many situations like the aforementioned were pretty ugly.

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Chicago_IL.pdf You can scroll through and see analog vs digital but the digital is the final DTV channel, not the interim ones.

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/

This is the list of interim DTV assignments

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/News_Releases/1998/et8002a.txt You can scroll through this and find quite a few situations similar to the Chicago one, where a station’s analog and interim digital assignments are adjacent low VHF channels.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

One thing that is a real bummer for those wanting to broadcast DTV on the low VHF channels is that most of the newer antennas marketed as “DTV antennas” are not designed for low VHF. Some of the designs are even exclusively UHF! 🙁

On a side note, I was trying to put new F-connectors on an old segment of Radio Shack RG-6 cable, and I was in for a really bad surprise concerning its build quality. The shield is a metallized plastic film with two strands of aluminum wire running along the length of the cable. It is very difficult to make a stable ohmic connection to the shield. I don’t want to throw this stuff away, but I have my doubts about how stable this stuff is going to be if I use it outside.

jr_tech
    Participant

Just noticed tonight that 103.3 has a HD-3 subchannel, carrying “Air 1” Programming… how long have they been doing this? My Sangean HDT-1 reports that it is in HD Mode MP3 rather than HD Mode MP1 for other Portland HD channels. MP3 mode picks up a little more space for digital carriers by encroaching more into the analog signal width.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Isn’t that to feed a translator?

washnotore
    Participant

My Insignia HD Radio Armband. Can’t even hold the HD-3 signal on KKCW.

jr_tech
    Participant

“My Insignia HD Radio Armband. Can’t even hold the HD-3 signal on KKCW”

noticed the same thing on Insignia NS-HD01 “armband” and NS-HDRAD portable… HD-3 in this mode seem “weaker” than HD-1 or HD-2 channels.

“Isn’t that to feed a translator?”

Seems to match up to 92.7, although 92.7 is ahead of the HD-3 channel by about 45 seconds, or so.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Unless they are stealing a little bandwidth from HD-2, HD-3 is only 12 kbs intended for mono voice, is it not?

jr_tech
    Participant

IIRC, the added bandwidth can’t be combined with the lower mode bandwidth… been a long time since I looked at the Ibiquity “white papers”.

Anyway, it does not sound very good.

semoochie
    Participant

I was thinking that they might be 24 each. The Smooth Jazz station doesn’t sound as good as it used to.

field_strength
    Participant

EMF’s 96.3 translator has moved to 103.7 as K279BO. The translator is airing a country format called “Tailgate Country”, operated by iHeart but still owned by EMF. It uses 99 watts directional, sharing an antenna with 102.3.

washnotore
    Participant

Tailgate Country is also broadcasting on KFBW 105.9 HD-3 channel.

jr_tech
    Participant

My tuner sez KFBW 105.9 is *now* operating in HD service mode MP3. The added HD-3 channel seems to be *weaker* than the HD-1 and HD-2 channels from 105.9… I believe that the channel added in MP3 mode has less robust error correction.

chrisweiss
    Participant

MP3 mode just adds extra carriers closer to the analog carrier. The added bandwidth is in its own ‘container’ so you can’t rob bandwidth from the previous carriers to even out the numbers. In our case, the HD1 is 48 kbps, HD2 is 32 kpbs, and the HD3 is 24 kbps. Unfortunately, because the new carriers are closer to the analog signal, and we are feeding the analog and digital with separate transmission chains, the HD3 carriers are very susceptible to getting stepped on by the analog signal.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Thanks, Chris!!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Four FM allocations in Oregon were auctioned off in Auction 93 and have thusly been removed from the Table Of Allotments.

Grants Pass 257A

Keno 253A

Malin 263A

Terrebonne 293C2

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db1010/DA-14-1479A1.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 178 total)
  • The topic ‘Towers & Such 2014’ is closed to new replies.