Too Missing KSKD

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Dxer1969
    Participant

Well, as in KBOO, 89.1, 89.9, and XRAY are live. KISN, KWLX,Tailgate, 102.3, Not!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Well, I guess this thread got derailed. But no matter. After the wife died, I sold the house. Made enough to pay off the nursing home and the eye doctor who restored the wife’s vision for a month. Then, I found a place to stay. A married couple who lived out in Milwaukee. They were fairly well to do and liked making their own wine! Yaay! I lived down in a full basement. New appliances. Clean ass place. And that was the beginning of my hard journey back. That was my biggest lucky break in my adult life, truth be told. There is more tragedy.That will be told later. Let’s just say that living there was like the calm between 2 storms. But, I am who I am. Thanks, Missing, Paul, & Brian for offering support. Like Broadway, He is who he is! Hell, at this point, we all are who we are. But I digress. If not for my friends here and other tolerant and compassionate people who took the time,I would not be here today. So for all of you, All I can do is offer my humblest of thank yous! And I truly mean that!

Dxer1969
    Participant

On December 24th, I will tell a happy and sad Christmas story. And it will be the last time my wife had some of her memory left. In that nursing home, what I did! I want to tell this story. Just a grieving man and his almost fading wife. No other bullshit. I promise.

skeptical
    Participant

KSKD airchecks (circa 1980) do exist. At least 2 of them, 90 minutes each.

Starting bid: $1,500.

🙂

(They’re in deep storage somewhere.)

missing_kskd
    Participant

Well, at that price…. wish I had not lost the tapes!

Crazy!

skeptical
    Participant

I’m kidding you know.

missing_kskd
    Participant

🙂

paulwalker
    Participant

I actually have quite a bit of 80’s portland radio on cassette tape. Would be be willing to send anyone the tapes, for a nominal search and postage charge. Contact Dan if intererested.

Notalent
    Participant

I always thought that an automated station could not by definition have groupies.

I’m always amazed at the power of the medium…

The world somehow is a more complete circle when the groupie of an automated station has his own groupie.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yeah, I think it’s funny too.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yeah, it would be cool to listen to those old automated tapes again. Might sound dated now. But sure sounded cool at the time. @ No talent. Wouldn’t,exactly call myself a groupie. But I did make the trip to the station. Was shocked that they were automated. But still kept listening. And told friends about them. So, maybe I made groupies. Who knows. Never told my friends they were automated though!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Hey, Paul. Might take you up on that after Xmas. Let me know what you have, And then, I will contact Dan. Thanks!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Personal Xmas story coming up soon.

Dxer1969
    Participant

This may be the most personal piece I ever write on this forum, so here goes.

My wife was very headstrong, but also very sentimental. Especially when it came to Xmas. She had a stroke. Found her on the toilet. Called 911. And she never came home again. This was in Sept 2006. The stroke was a bad one. She only recognized me and her oldest son. Not the youngest son. Hurt him so badly, he couldn’t bare to visit the nursing home in KING City no more.

So, long story short, I made her an Xmas tape. Bob Miller stuff. Craig Walker and John Erickson & Lyle Arthur doing the Hawaiian song. And bits of her favorite Xmas songs. Frank. Dean. Ray Conniff. Percy. The Hippopatumus song. You know, the very old stuff. The stuff she could still remember.

So I sit there. I hold her hand. And play this tape for her. She cries. I cry. We enjoyed it, you see. And then, she kisses me! She smiles at me. And says to me. You put a lot of effort in for me. I swallow and Sob, Yes, I did LeAnn. She squeezes my hand and just says heartfelt. Merry Christmas, John. And seconds later, fell asleep.

When I visited the next day. My wife did not recognize me. And how that hurt! And how I cried! But at least, I had one last Christmas with her. And I still cherish that memory!

Merry Christmas all! Glad you guys were here for me when the chips were really down.

paulwalker
    Participant

Thank you for sharing that. I, and I’m sure many others have experienced similar circumstances, and while painful, we must move on. I lost my Mother to a stroke and complications three + years ago. Cherish the memories as well. But have learned to move on and accept it. Best wishes to you. Make your life the best it can be.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.