Too Missing KSKD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Dxer1969
    Participant

In 1973 I discovered 105.1 I was 14 years old at the time. We’re you PD then? In Oregon City, where I grew up, not only could I receive 105.1, but 1390 as well, at least during the daytime. Well anyway, My family enjoyed both stations. I turned them on to them. 1390. Another AM with talent around the clock. Took a tour there. 1980 I think. Just wondered if you were the man who gave the tour? Both stations were cool in my book! Started listening to 105.1 in July 1973. Stumbled across AT 40 then. No more trips to Al’s record shop to look at the Billboard top 100!

Dxer1969
    Participant

All I know is. Pete Tosi was in. Jim Zin was on. Wally Gator was on. And Roger Mason was on. On the AM side though. Hope that helps. Damn good thing I took notes or I’d be screwed!

missing_kskd
    Participant

Hi Dxer. Nope. I am just a fan of a technically and musically great station.

I once put a rant here on the radio side, maybe more of a brain dump about how the “cool” works and what that means for automation. Several actually, but the relevant bit here is how the people at KSKD employed the basics and also did the work to make sure it was “cool.”

Cool only comes from people. It is a mind sharing what it sees as cool that makes the cool exist.

It is possible to do this live, record it and share it, and automation itself can be used to express cool.

The trick is all about whether people can get a sense of the mind behind the attempt at cool, or interesting even.

Cool does not come from computers, rules, patterns or any other kind of thing. When a mind works through those things and perhaps gets spread across many entities, like one PD and or MD handles 10 stations, people cannot see the mind and because of that get the attempt at the perception of cool, sans the reality of cool.

Quite frankly, that is just not cool.

KSKD was largely automated, but had the impact and success it did because people took the time to make sure it was cool. They did this in subtle, but notable ways, including great sets, imaging and branding that aligned with the music, and a distinctive collection of music that showed a specific and compelling taste loud and clear. One aspect of this was including the great mix often found on the 12″ single, where everyone else was mangling, chopping and slamming the radio edits home. For the kinds of music KSKD tended to pick up on, doing this highlighted some of the real texture of the era.

Back then, I found those things notable, and I miss those minds, that taste, and the solid production values that did not insult me in any way or any time. They cared about radio,and despite employing automation many despise today, did the work to make sure their efforts could be appreciated for something other than better margins and or lower headcounts.

Even better, they didn’t do what so many do today, which I’d over exploit how “new” can be seen as interesting and somewhat of a substitute for cool. New works for a while, particularly when done in a desert lacking cool. When new fails, and it always does as new becomes normal than old, they just come up with some other, often shallow, or copied thing, slap the “NEW!” branding on it all for another go.

Not cool.

They (KSKD) were cool and wise enough to make sure the product of their efforts delivered that cool, not just a perception, or shallow thing one wishes were cool. New was actually cool, because the new made sense and often built on the cool already in play. Rather than the shallow and intrinsic shock value new, sans a deeper more cool context has, KSKD regularly added more cool to the cool people picked up on, and the need to promote new to the level often seen today meant more of a flow than a bang. This would creep up on a person, suddenly aware their tastes building on one another rather than conflicting or replacing… I liked the a lot.

Many similar efforts I hear today do not conpare, despite very significantly improved and or advanced tools to do that work with.

Why?

And that’s a long running and often frustrating dialog on the radio side.

Welcome to our little back water guilty pleasure, BTW. I can’t recall how long you have been contributing, and If I’m botch ing this, I apologize.

Otherwise, please speak your mind. Most of us really enjoy that.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Missing KSKD. Had a story to tell you, but I must have pressed the wrong button and lost the damn thing. Will try again tomorrow. But yes, 105.1 was that cool station in Salem. That is what I called as a kid. More later.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@KSKD. OK. I will try again. Wanna do it right! Kind of hard when ya got fat fingers and a tablet instead if a real P C.

The tour: It was late 80 or early 81. AM side still live and local! Lots of cool guys worked there! The guide was a super cool dude too. Thought it was you to be honest.
    Anyway, the guide takes us to the FM side. And what did I see? A rather big machine! Not a computer exactly. I was shocked! Why? Cuz every station I had ever taken a tour of were staffed. Had cart machines and turntables. But this? My cool Salem FM station was a machine? Couldn’t believe it truth be told.Part 2 later.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Ok. Here goes. You see, the AM side 1390 KSLM was as I expected. But this FM contraption? Not! Yeah, the guide showed us how this expensive automation system worked. The songs, jingles and commercials? All of it in this machine On tapes, some of it. To be honest here, it was over my head. But I did have this thought. If they can make a station sound this cool. Is this how radio will become down the road? That was me as a 22 year old. Kind of felt weird after the tour. Really liked the people there. They were working on the hill. The king of the Salem radio stations. That was my first glimpse of how radio would become. Loved 105.1. They called it different call letters over the years. KORI. KSKD. KSLM FM. They each played more rock oriented Top 40 music. Funny. I liked them when they were licensed in Salem. When it moved to the big pink,liked them until late 88. Then quit listening.

johnf
    Participant

Since I was living in the Seattle area at the time and listening to other great automated stations — including KFKF-FM 92.5 in Bellevue with Drake-Chenault’s “Hit Parade” and “Solid Gold” formats, KISM-FM 92.9 in Bellingham with Draper-Blore’s “Olde Golde” format, or KNWR-FM “Northwest Rock” 104.3 in Bellingham with TM Production’s “Stereo Rock” format — I never got to hear KSKD. Which automated format did it carry, and are there any old airchecks of the station floating around the Web?

Dxer1969
    Participant

The thing about KSsKD was: It was a small town station that still sounded cool, automated or not. The format? Top 40 in the 70’s. Graduated more pop rock music in the 80’s.

paulwalker
    Participant

Dan, PNIRP.

Beyond that code which most will understand, I thought “Missing” was an former radio guy who used to work at KSKD! I learned that was not true years ago, but his posts here are probably the most honest and prolific on the site. When I learned he had little, or no radio background, I actually increased my respect for him as he has some really good insight into the radio biz.

OK, “post not in right place”. Move on PDXer’s! (BTW) raise your hand if you have posted on the wrong side of this forum in the past decade. My hand is certainly raised.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Sorry for mobile typos above.

@Dxer
    , yeah good stories, and yes. KSKD did pull it off. 🙂

@Paul, I’ve a lot of audio experience and MC DJ type stuff at events. Did sound for a small, indie band for a while too.

Thanks. Coming from you, that means something.

The most frustrating thing is seeing the medium moved from one where people and their value, “cool”, etc… entertain, connect, inform, comfort…

…to something more like a lotto game.

Lots of high value, cast aside, relevance squandered, legacy tarnished, ignored by people who largely possess little, or who feel they must make ugly choices to survive the mess.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ KSKD. Like mentioned earlier, Figured you were the PD there, Or a manager of some sort. But no matter. Neither did I. Never worked in the biz. But I followed as best I could what was happening in the biz.

Now a year ago something awful happened. The forum? The forum had an issue. My PC caught a bad virus in Nov 2014. It sucked but time! Now that PC is used as a jukebox only.But what I’m getting at is before that disaster occurred, Missing had more posts then anyone! And enjoyed his posts! Learned more about life in general from then anyone else on the internet! No joke, sir!!

@ Paul. Thanks. Only been around for 3 or 4 days. And I agree what you wrote about Missing! I’ll try not to mess up again.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Oh man. Guess I’ll say thanks again.

Don’t sweat a post on the wrong side. I think we have all done it. I have more than once.

Worst case, just leave a polite request for Dan to move it.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Dan is a totally cool dude! Made it real easy for me despite a few screwups on my side. No wonder you all admire the man!

missing_kskd
    Participant

He is a good peep through and through. Thing is, he wants people to get some value out of this thing. A little help is no big deal.

From what I know, he’s about intent. When the intent is good, he’s going to do the thing that keeps it moving forward.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Once again you say the words. I’m struggling, you see,I want to say the right damn words, but right now I can’t. Brain isn’t working.

things right. Especially to you. That is why I struggled last night. I want to do my situation right. To you! Like I said. I want to do it right. I know I screwed up. If I am to continue my sad life’s sort, I’ll have to slow down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.