THIS DAY IN PORTLAND RADIO HISTORY (FEBRUARY)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History THIS DAY IN PORTLAND RADIO HISTORY (FEBRUARY)

This topic contains 54 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dxer1969 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

FEBRUARY 27TH. TODAY IN PORTLAND RADIO HISTORY

1922 7XF began broadcasting U.S. Public Health Bulletins at 8:45 P.M. by request of the local medical field.

1931 KGW purchased property in Faloma, Oreg. (off North Denver Ave.) for their new KGW transmitter site.

1943 KGW “Stars of Tomorrow” kids gave their last radio performance in the windows of “Star Furniture.”

1970 KPFM changed its call letters to KPAM-FM, standing for “K-Pam, Stereo 97.” “The Best Rock In Stereo.”

1971 KOIN-FM 101.1 MHz., antenna was destroyed when KOIN-TV tower collapsed from a thick ice coating.

2002 KRSK settled its slogan litigation with the Rosie O’Donnell lawyers. “Rosie 105” became “Rosey 105.”

2010 Arthur M. “Joe” Clifford died at age 89 in Tigard. Former KGW Local Sales Manager, 1962 to 1965.

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t have time to respond yesterday morning. I worked with PMJ at KKEY. He was a great guy and quite a celebrity in his native Britain! Aside from that, he did episodes of “It Takes A Thief” and “Star Trek”, among others. He was also a regular contributor to this board, for a short time. Unfortunately, he fell off a roof and never quite recovered, passing away soon after.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Peter M Jones was the 1st talk show I ever listened to. At age 14 or 15. Yeah! He was pretty good. 970 KOIN had Radio Mystery Theater that kept my teenaged ass up late too. No wonder I staggered to class in shorts, thongs, and a mostly unbuttoned short sleeved shirt. The girls loved it. Me? I was just there and not there. I was a weird kid for sure. I looked like half over death, but the girls brought me back!

semoochie
    Participant

FEBRUARY 28TH. TODAY IN PORTLAND RADIO HISTORY

1903 Edris M. Noble (later Cox) was born in Portland. KOIN 940 kc. Dramatic Director, 1928 to 1938.

1931 Scripps Newspapers sold KOIN 940kc to Journal Publishing Co., owners of “The Oregon Journal.”

1931 KEX 1180 affiliated with UBC Network and continued to carry programs from its own NBS chain.

1955 KPFM 97.1 began broadcasting from the new 280 ft. KLOR Ch.-12/KPFM tower on Sentinel Hill.

1956 Charles O. Chatterton died at age 64 in Merced, CA. KGW-KEX Manager, 1937-39. KGW Manager, 1931-37.

1958 Tom B. Purcell, KGRO Gresham Co-owner, critically injured in car accident. Father Tom W. Purcell died.

1972 KLIQ-FM 92.3 was knocked off the air for five days when a severe windstorm damaged its antenna.

1988 Dick Brown died at age 77 in Portland. KALE/KPOJ AM-FM/KPOK AM-FM General Manager, 1948-73.

1988 KZRC Milwaukie signed on the air on 1010 kHz. with 4.5kw. Transmitter on: S.E. Hogan Rd., Gresham.

1998 KKEY changed its call letters to KKGT, standing for “Great Talk”, continuing its Talk Radio format.

mike_kolb
    Participant

Is there anything recent or new being added to the radio histories? Maybe nothing “fresh” has actually occurred since last year… but it seems as though the entries have ceased at the dates in 2015.

Or maybe it’s just a coincidence and nothing’s really happened?

semoochie
    Participant

As explained at the beginning of this month and a few other times, Craig Adams’ computer is on the blink and I’m reposting last year’s entries, so there won’t be so much for him to do, when he returns. I did mention Craig’s birthday the other day. I didn’t think it would take this long. Tomorrow’s will be a repost from a few years ago, so yes, Virginia, there is a February 29th. 🙂

Dxer1969
    Participant

1988. KZRC. Z Rock. They were good. They didn’t last long though. Too bad.

semoochie
    Participant

Z-Rock had some competition near the end from The X(1520)but did awfully well for a daytimer, aimed at a younger demographic. More than anything, the format itself just ran out of time.

semoochie
    Participant

FEBRUARY 29TH. LEAP DAY TODAY IN PORTLAND RADIO HISTORY

1924 Mel Blanc 15, performed 2 vaudeville numbers as guest on KGW’s “Hoot Owls” for the first time.
    1936 KEX broadcast “Safeway Circus Court” 9-10pm. Highlights: Leap Year & Lent. Love & Fish, etc.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  semoochie.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yeah, That’s right. 1520 did compete with 1010 as a hard rock format in the fall of 89. Strangely, 1 year later, both stations flipped.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘THIS DAY IN PORTLAND RADIO HISTORY (FEBRUARY)’ is closed to new replies.