Theater Shooter Had ‘Tea Party Radical Republican Views’

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Theater Shooter Had ‘Tea Party Radical Republican Views’

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Shocker!

http://reverbpress.com/justice/theater-shooter-views/

59 year old John Russell Houser of Phenix, Alabama, a right wing domestic terrorist who opened fire with a handgun in a Louisiana movie theater Thursday night, killing two and seriously wounding several others before taking his own life as law enforcement closed in, was a radical Tea Party supporter. Houser has been a member of the Tea Party Nation since 2013, was a regular Tea Party guest on a local television show, and has left a long trail of online comments showing his religious fanaticism and radical conservative beliefs, including racist comments, comments praising the Westboro Baptist Church, and comments showing that Houser hated President Obama, and idolized Adolph Hitler.

Houser appeared on “Calvin Floyd Live,” formerly called “Rise and Shine” on WLTZ NBC 38 in more than sixty episodes. According to Houser’s Linkedin profile, he “invited political controversy on every one of them, and loved every minute of it.” Calvin Floyd, the show’s host told Yahoo news that Houser was invited on his show many times because it was entertaining for his audience to hear Houser discuss his “radical views”.

On his Twitter account, Houser praised the Westboro Baptist Church, which the Southern Poverty Law Center called “arguably the most obnoxious and rabid hate group in America”, as “the last real church in America”. The Westboro Baptist Church, whose slogan is “God Hates Fags”, is dedicated to hating homosexuals, and has been known for high profile protests targeting the funerals of US Soldiers, and celebrities.

In a profile on the website politicalforum.com, Houser wrote that “no family safe in US environment”. Certainly not Houser’s family, who (in court records examined by Raw Story) took out a protective order against him after he engaged in “extreme erratic behavior” and made “ominous as well as disturbing statements”.

The court documents show that Houser’s wife Kellie Houser was so frightened of her husband, due to his “history of mental health issues, i.e., manic depression and/or bi-polar disorder,” that she removed all the guns from their home. However, Houser should not have had any guns, as he had been denied a concealed carry permit in 2006, over a previous arrest for arson, in Columbus, Georgia, as well as a history of mental health issues. Houser later filed for divorce, and evicted Houser from their home, which Google Maps shows flying a Confederate flag in an undated photo.

edselehr
    Participant

So, what’s the current tally of right-wing whacko shooting incidents v. left-wing whacko shooting incidents? I would venture a pretty good guess, but I want Deane to keep his heart rate down and have a relaxing day today.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Egads! John Houser was NOT a Muslim! :-0

RobP
    Participant

Vitalogy – all I can say is that it sucks to be you.

skeptical
    Participant

Rob, you’re not exactly a peach pie either.

missing_kskd
    Participant

You know, trying to somehow imply Vitalogy, by regularly posting up, “can you believe these fuckers?” is a problem or negative really only makes sense when the material he’s putting up isn’t actually an issue.

But it is.

So it’s OK.

Really.

Vitalogy
    Participant

What’s a matter Rob? Strike a nerve because you share similar traits to these mass shooters?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have been wondering whether John Houser chose to shoot viewers of Trainwreck specifically because of the subject matter of the film. Trainwreck is a racy adult comedy about a promiscuous young woman whose parents’ marriage broke up because of her father’s infidelity.

Note that I am not advocating that these types of films shouldn’t be made because they might set off some fringe religious types.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I should add that two details of this story hit home for me.

1) My mom lives in Phenix City, Alabama (the city that John Houser once called home). Phenix City is a suburb of Columbus, GA.

2) I used to watch WLTZ while I was in high school, in the early 1990s. WLTZ is the NBC affiliate serving the Columbus, GA area.

Here is a broadcast-related question that has been haunting me: was it irresponsible for WLTZ to give Houser an on-air forum for his radical ideas?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.