The Weagant’s KKEY & More

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History The Weagant’s KKEY & More

This topic contains 77 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

Craig, I think you have the wrong date for this lineup. When did the format change occur? If the format change was on or before July 1st, that would make more sense. I was hired just a few days before starting and they brought all the FM people in together. The format was still Oldies on both stations at this point. They had to explain how to run both the old and new automation systems because the new one wouldn’t be ready for the launch but by the time I got there on the weekend, it was, as they said it would. I’m pretty sure Dick Byrd was also Operations Manager(in lieu of a PD). I believe Ed Keebler is the man who recognized and walked up to me on the Oregon Coast several years later. I remember Steve Glass of course, who was also at KISN and I think worked at KGAR when I was there. Ric Smith did overnights but I worked Sundays so I’m not sure if he did the regular shift or just the weekend. Tom Phelan came in Sunday morning sometime before 6AM and did the news. I’ll never forget the introduction: “This is Newswheel, a quarter hour of news, sports and weather, as compiled in the KPOK/KUPL newsroom. I’m Tom Phelan.” The rest of the week, it was a very young Neal Penland! Newswheel ran for 15 minutes and then repeated. Here’s the scenario: A person who has been listening to Beautiful Music for the past 5.5 hours goes into the control room and cues up a reel to reel tape and on cue, begins recording. At the end of the news and sports, the tape is stopped, rewound and cued while the weather is being read. This must be done before the man can utter the words, “and now for the second report on this morning’s Newswheel”. If you misguess the exact spot to slow down the tape or it runs off the reel, it’s all over!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KPOK switched to “Cross-Country” combining Modern Country with Top Hits on June 18, 1973. Robert E. Sharon G.M.; Bill Calder, Operations Manager; Dick Byrd, Program Director & at the time Afternoon Drive. Vern Mueller, News Director & Robert O. Franklin, GSM. Ted Rogers & Ed Keebler were formerly with KRDR. Also on the schedule were Steve Glass & Mike Forrester.

The line up mentioned in my posting above must be later than July 1, 1973. This date was only on the Rate Card but was with a package of information on KPOK from the same time period, including the DJ line-up. As I said, I just acquired this information yesterday and haven’t had a chance to analyze it yet.

Now I see in notes taken from articles kept from the time period, that on November 15, 1973 it’s announced Jim Robbins takes over 9am to Noon, formerly on KSPO. Also mentioned Toni Conti formerly on KSHA will do Midnight to 6. This makes the DJ line-up above later than November 1973.

semoochie
    Participant

It wasn’t much later. If I remember correctly, Dick Byrd left several months before I did. Ted Rogers was doing a talk show on KPOJ. I didn’t think he ever left.

rsb97060
    Participant

Is Linda Weagant still alive, and if so does she still own the tower property?

Craig, KKEY began running taped traffic reports from Northwest Traffic Control in the fall of 1989 during drive times.

semoochie
    Participant

I believe Linda is in her mid to late 60s. I don’t remember “NW Traffic Control. I remember Metro Traffic. Just before the end of the run, KKEY switched traffic services to the one run by KEX. I don’t know whether or not KKGT kept it.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Any comments on the contents of this article that you think are incorrect, I would appreciate. Special Thanks to Pat Roberson for making me a copy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Oregonian, May 4, 1976

Woman Dies On Telephone as Radio Station Has Call Traced

By John Guernsey

A woman died while talking on the telephone during a radio talk show Monday, triggering a real-life radio drama at station KKEY.

The moderator of the Portland program, Laura Hall, was talking at about 11:20 a.m. with a woman later identified as Ruby Nelson, 62. Suddenly there was a gasp on the caller’s end of the line, a banging noise as if the phone had fallen and excited barks of a dog.

Turning the program over to another announcer, Ms Hall kept the line open to the caller and had station personnel call police and the telephone company. She wanted an immediate trace on the caller’s number, so help could be sent to the woman’s address.

Suspense reigned at the radio station for nearly 2 1/2 hours after the first emergency call. Off the air, Ms Hall continued calling into the telephone, trying to rouse the woman and learn her address. But she heard only the dog barking.

About 1:40 p.m., the number trace had been completed and Ms. Hall learned the address. She got there in time to see police break open the front door at 8206 S.W. 10th Ave.

Mrs. Nelson was dead on the floor. Oxygen and other artificial respiration failed to revive her.

A deputy Multnomah County coroner said Mrs. Nelson apparently died almost instantly from a massive heart seizure.

Announcer Jack Hurd said he contacted “some woman” at the phone company and tried to explain the urgency of the problem. “But she just told me it wasn’t her department and hung up,” he said.

KKEY account executive Paul Stevens said that at one point a phone company official reported that the trace had been made and the address was known. “I asked him for the information, but he said he couldn’t give it to me,” Stevens said. “I asked him what he was going to do with it and he hung up without another word.”

Mike Jordan, public information spokesman for Pacific Northwest Bell, said the tracing operation began immediately after 11:20 a.m. and was completed by 1:40 p.m. He said a trace normally takes about that length of time because of the many line-checking procedures which have to be gone through.

He said telephone companies cannot make number traces within a matter of minutes, as is often shown on television shows.

Tom Potter, press information officer at the Portland Police Bureau, said police records indicate that the trace was completed at 12:54 p.m., but the address furnished by the phone company was 8406 S.W. 10th Ave. instead of the correct address, 8206 S.W. 10th Ave.

He said the police investigated, informed the phone company that it was the wrong address and phone officials called back with the correct address at 1:36 p.m.

Mrs. Nelson was the wife of Zenus Nelson, manager of the Oregon Typewriter and Recorder Co.

semoochie
    Participant

It was my understanding that Laura maintained talking to the woman OFF the air but I believe 11:20 AM would be during her show. If it was off the air, it would have to be on the business line, not the one for the talk show because the talk show line was only sent to the studio when on the air. That means the entire conversation would have to be ON the air, if any part of it was and clearly, it wasn’t. We have our answer, without having to rely on anyone’s memory. Pretty cool! In the back of my head, it seems like someone might have filled in for her because she was on the phone. The time of 11:20AM could just be misplaced with the conversation beginning before 11:00. Incidentally, I’ve never heard of Paul Stevens. He may have been someone employed by one of the talk show hosts to sell his/her show and split the commission.

rsb97060
    Participant

Steve, my bad. You’re right, it was Metro Traffic Control.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Semoochie: You’ve lost me in this. I’ve re-read what you wrote several times and I can’t get your meaning.

So, is it your impression from reading the article that Ruby died while on the air on KKEY?

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Posted revisions for June 1975 to May 1976 paragraphs. Interesting details about the caller who died during the talk show. This was definitely two-way talk radio then.

TimJordan
    Participant

Absolutely incredible info on this thread. I worked two times at this station (1st time KKEY, next KKGT) and it was the most interesting radio station where I’ve been employed. Ted Piccolo (one of the former owners) turned me on to this thread and it’s amazing the amount of info. Someone could easily write a book. Don’t know if people would believe half of the stuff, though.

Was pretty good pals with Jim McKkey (nee’ Jim Mathews) who originally worked the 3PM to 6PM shift then was switched to 6AM to 8AM (which I cohosted) after a tiff with Linda. Jim Cuomo took over the afternoon shift. Have lost touch with JM. His parents used to own Ace Mathews Dog Shows which is how Jim got hooked up with Don Koss and co-hosted Portland Wrestling for a short time. (Former wrestler, “Tough Tony Borin” used to work for JM’s parents in their dog show enterprise.)

The legendary blow-ups between the KKEY management and various and sundry talk show hosts are true. My bet is that the funniest ones involved Jerry Dimmitt. Kinda amazes me the screaming that took place. Dimmitt, along with others, was forced to sue Western Broadcasting over a wage dispute. As most of these things go, it was settled out of court after an arbitration hearing.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Tim: Thanks! Couldn’t have done it without everyone’s input over the years. I’ve re-written the master copy what you mentioned above. Need to put a year and month on when these changes occurred below:

“In 199? Jim MkKey (spelling correct) was on 3:00pm to 6:00pm. In 1991 Jim MkKey & Tim Jordon were co-hosts on KEY 6:00am to 8:00am & Jim Cuomo 3:00pm to 6:00pm weekdays and KKEY added affiliations with NBC & DayNet.”

Also need your broadcast background. Call letters of previous stations. Want to add you to KKGT. What year and month? What did you do?

Thanks!

TimJordan
    Participant

Hey Craig:

Jim did the afternoon drive slot for about a year or so — from 1991 to 1992. I co-hosted with him for a couple of months in 1992, then took over for him. Steve Bradley co-hosted with me for some months until my first tenure at KKEY ended. Being a small station I did sales, weekend board opping, and had the official title of Chief Operator for awhile while Ron Hudson was ill.

I’ve worked for a lot of stations, mostly in California. KKOS, KBON, KIQY, KOWN (and I’m sure a couple of others where I can’t remember the call letters — mostly ADI markets). In Oregon, I’ve worked for KFAT/KLOO (sales, doing remotes), KVAN (co-hosted a show with Dick Thyne who had an extensive broadcast background), KBNP (very short time with Jim McKkey and Jim Greenfield).

For KKGT I was hired on as the station manager initially then fell into doing more sales, then J.D. Fort was hired as my replacement. Don’t remember the exact months for KKGT, just 1997 or so. (The older I get the fuzzier the dates get.)

semoochie
    Participant

Tim Jordan came back, as I was leaving, making it January 1998.

TimJordan
    Participant

Is it Ron or Steve? Curiosity is getting the best of me. (I guess Al Emmerich has pass on to the great cart machine in the sky.)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.