The Sound?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

There is an article on Radio Insight.com about an upcoming station in Portland called “The Sound”. It could just as well be in Portland Maine but I can’t find out because it’s behind a paywall and I got nothing in my googling attempt. Has anyone heard anything about this? This is all I have: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/181154/domain-insight-10-17-is-there-a-sound-to-be-heard-in-portland/

fieldstrength
    Participant

Here’s the text from that article:

Is a Sound about to be heard in Portland?
    iHeartMedia seems to believe that Entercom is preparing to blow up Hot AC “105.1 The Buzz” KRSK Molalla/Portland and registered six “105.1 The Sound” related domains as blockers. The domains are 1051TheSound.com, 1051TheSoundPDX.com, 1051TheSoundPortland.com, TheSound1051.com, TheSound1051PDX.com, and TheSound1051Portland.com. Entercom uses “The Sound” branding in Seattle at Soft AC “94.1 The Sound” KSWD and previously used it for their Classic Rock station in Los Angeles.

A move to Soft AC would be expected for Portland as Entercom already has Classic Rock 92.3 KGON in the market. Such a move would target iHeart’s market leading AC “K103” KKCW with a 8.2 share and third ranked Classic Hits “106.7 The Eagle” KLTH at a 7.1. KRSK currently ranks fourteenth at a 3.1 share.

Borderblaster
    Participant

Hello PDX

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you! That seems like a very strange move, in that Hot AC tends to sell better than its rating would indicate and The Buzz is all alone in the format. It also hasn’t been very long since its ratings were on the “high” side. If this happens, another station is bound to snatch it right up!

fieldstrength
    Participant

Entercom has put almost no effort into The Buzz for years, and now they’re seeing the result.

semoochie
    Participant

A three share probably translates to a much higher number in Women 25-54 and 18-49. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Fortunately, I have some extra bags of microwave popcorn. We can wait around to see if The Buzz is blown up and how the ratings do.

paulwalker
    Participant

Seattle has a real Sound. Last check, Portland has a couple of fine rivers, but no Sound. Entercom just willy nilly copying a name that makes little sense? That’s my guess.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  paulwalker.

RadioHiker
    Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised to see changes at The Buzz. It seems like The Buzz became the stepchild of Entercom after they broke up Daria, Mitch and Ted… the music and personalities aren’t that great anymore. The music sounds dull compared to other hot ACs across the country. They only have two personalities left on the air. The ratings show it… they underperform hot ACs in other similar markets. Really it’s too bad. The station was more competitive 5-10 years ago.

semoochie
    Participant

OK, if The Buzz were to switch to Soft AC, which station would go with Hot AC, because it would be insane for someone not to? There’s way too much money on the table!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.