The Portland Music Scene lost an old and best friend

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The Portland Music Scene lost an old and best friend

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Jay “Buck Munger,” 2009 inductee into the Oregon Music Hall Of Fame, former publisher of Two Louie’s Magazine and veteran of the United States Marine Corp lost his battle on Tuesday, April 19th. Buck’s music career goes back almost 50 years, playing drums on multiple major label artist records, producing records for Liberty and Imperial Records, and starting the 1st national music trade publication for recording studios. He was the Artist Relations person for Sunn Amps – dealing with artists like The Who, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix. Munger started “Two Louies” Magazine in 1979 to champion the Portland music scene, which he did for 26 years while he helped propel Portland music on the board of the Portland Music Association.

I met Buck around 1980. I was a regular at The Sporting House, Portland’s first sports bar, on SE Hawthorne where Buck’s future wife and now widow was a bartender.

skeptical
    Participant

He was an Icon. I, too started reading Two Louies back when it first started. I’d frequent the live music scene at places like Sack’s Front Avenue, The Last Hurrah, The Euphoria and numerous others. I believe I’ve a stack of Two Louies circa early ’80s somewhere. Portland almost always had an excellent music scene and his magazine covered it best.

woolen
    Participant

portland lifer/ musician here:

would anyone be interested in posting/scanning some old two louis mags online? I have recently become interested in buck after viewing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWKqOVDu9A

– lawtonB

warner
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

direct link to archives:

http://www.twolouiesmagazine.com/pdfs/

“I have recently become interested in buck after viewing this video:”

The video isn’t at all informative about Buck, really. It’s clear, though, that the scene in ’81 was somewhat of a last gasp of the old music model dying off with no heir apparent. Affordably burning CD’s did not become available until the late 80’s nor affordable until the early 90’s. Bands and artists previous to that did not have a path other then the record label companies and their soon to be obsolete business model.

The best way to find out about Two Louies is in the archives (link above). The best way to find out about Buck is to go to his Facebook page which remains on line.

https://www.facebook.com/buck.munger?fref=ts

Someone has already extracted most of Buck’s Who stories from his Facebook page and reposted them here:

The Who:Stories by Buck Munger

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.