The Oregonian/OLive

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DanOregon
    Participant

What were they thinking when they made the decision to change the font on the website? It makes everything look amateurish.

paulwalker
    Participant

Or even a better question, what were they thinking when they made the decision to reduce their daily printings to a much smaller tabloid edition that is only home delivered four days a week?

Yeah, we “get” the printed newspaper is dying, but most major cities still put out a full printed paper 6-7 days a week. In our immediate region, the Seattle Times, the Spokane Spokesman-Review, and The Tacoma News Tribune all still print daily, unless something has recently changed.

As for the website versions of newspapers, I have been disappointed with most. To your point about Oregon Live, yes it seems the only reason they changed the format was for the sake of change.

The Seattle PI website is OK, but tend to leave features up for days. Plus, their slideshows seem to freeze my computer constantly, this is the only site that this happens to me.

The Seattle Times on-line is subscription, as many are, so I can’t really blame them for following the crowd. I also appreciate that the Times is available in most cities in Eastern Washington, though probably earlier editions. But this goes back to the point of what can printed papers really offer? Not breaking news for sure, but features with background and context, which are perhaps still important here in late 2015.

The good news is you can still get local news from many sources, my go-to’s are the local tv channels who are happy to let you in for free as mostly a marketing tool for their television product.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.