The Morning Shows Still LIVE From Portland And NOT

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio The Morning Shows Still LIVE From Portland And NOT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

I won’t pretend I know the answers because I’m no longer in the business but I’m sure personnel reading this know. The question is, will those who know, post answers, or tell us about their competition. It’s your move.

Phil Harmonic
    Participant

Z-100’s Johnjay and Rich morning show is beamed in from 104.7 KISS FM in Phoenix, the show is also on My 99.9 in Colorado Springs, Colorado, 96.1 KISS FM in Fort Collins, Colorado, and on 93.1 All The Hits in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to what I find via google…

At KXJM, I believe it’s APD/MD Kristina with K in mornings

semoochie
    Participant

“Bruce, John and Janine” is still going strong!

missing_kskd
    Participant

KPOJ is live in the morning, and I enjoy the show. Saw Carl at the Komen event today.

On that note, the numbers are way down from the politics gaffe. Hope they rebound, because I’ve got friends and such associated with the event. I like it, because it’s a Father Daughter and friends tradition we will keep up, even through the ugly goings on. Our group all thought it about the same, annoyed at how poorly it ran this year. Abortion doesn’t cause breast cancer, lol!!

So, he was there talking to people, nice to shake a hand and exchange a few words.

The kids next to me? “What the fuck is AM 620 KPOJ?”

So I replied, “It’s liberal talk radio –we are gonna get Obama elected again this year.” They say, “Oh cool! Does my radio do AM?” The radio app mention was most relevant, linking it to other things they are familiar with.

They use radio, but they can’t really identify with the old formats. Now, they did identify with Z100, and some of the other more relevant brands. Our group was composed of very old to very young. Abstract branding, like “AM 620 KPOJ” doesn’t work AT ALL with them. Even the FM stations being discussed worked that way. Their references were all indirect, or single word. To be fair, they were all way outside any demo that would seriously consider talk, though the 30+ among us did know what the station was, and I met a fellow listener in the group I didn’t know about.

“The Mike and Amy station” works for them too. That’s what I mean by indirect.

It’s my observation that a morning show anchors the station for that crowd, making the brand accessible, and that cross media promotion would really be a net gain.

Had that 620 booth referenced Obama, Portland talk, “Keeping it weird”, or some other PDX reference, it would have made more sense to them.

Daily relevance again… I swear, radio needs to get a whole slug of 20 somethings and put them on air and give them some rope. Good stuff would happen, particularly if multiple media forms were used.

jr_tech
    Participant

I’m not sure how to answer the question, because I am unsure of the definition of “morning show”.

Is a *team* of people in the studio a necessary ingredient? (like Mike and Amy) How about one live person in the studio announcing and commenting on the music being played? (like KQAC, KMHD). How about shared national and local effort? (Like NPR “Morning Edition”).

semoochie
    Participant

“I swear, radio needs to get a whole slug of 20 somethings and put them on air and give them some rope. Good stuff would happen…” It worked for Kisn!

Master of Disaster
    Participant

…radio needs to get a whole slug of 20 somethings and put them on air…

It’s been tried; search archives for “The Debate Hour.”

missing_kskd
    Participant

Not those kind…

Craig_Adams
    Participant

All right, let me take a stab at this. This list is by no means definitive but simply my impressions. Will post FM stations next when I finish researching. I show 4 morning programs out of 13 AM stations originating Live from the Portland area.

PORTLAND AREA “AM BAND” MORNING SHOWS

AM 620 KPOJ = “Carl Wolfson” [Live from the Portland area]

750 AM The Game = “The Dan Patrick Show” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

True Talk 800 = BLOCK PROGRAMMING [NOT Live from the Portland area]

AM 860 = “The Bob Miller Show” [Live from the Portland area]

KNRK-HD2 = ?????????????????? [NOT Live from the Portland area]

Freedom 970 = “Imus In The Morning” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

The Fan 1080 AM = “The Herd with Colin Cowherd” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

1190 KEX = “The Morning Update” [Live from the Portland area]

La Reyna 1230 = ???????????????????? [NOT Live from the Portland area]

1330 AM The Truth = BLOCK PROGRAMMING [NOT Live from the Portland area]

AM 1360 KUIK = “The Jeff Kropf Show” [Live from the Portland area]

KBNP AM 1410 = “On The Economy” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

KBPS AM 1450 = ???????????????? [NOT Live from the Portland area]

1480 KBMS = “Warren Ballentine” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

La Gran D 1520 = “Alex ‘The Catfish’ Villasenor” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

Talk 1550 = “Mike Gallagher” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

Radio Disney AM 1640 = “Ernie D.” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

Andy Brown
    Participant

4/17= .235 Piss poor. In the entire major leagues, only Seattle is hitting less than that.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

I show 14 morning programs out of 23 FM stations originating Live from the Portland area.

PORTLAND AREA “FM BAND” MORNING SHOWS

KBVM 88.3 = BLOCK PROGRAMMING [NOT Live from the Portland area]

K-Love 88.7 = “Morning Show” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

Jazz Radio 89.1 = “The Morning Session” [Live from the Portland area]

All Cassical 89.9 = “Brandi Parisi” [Live from the Portland area]

KBOO 90.7 = BLOCK PROGRAMMING [Live from the Portland area]

OPB Radio = “Morning Edition” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

92.3 KGON = “The Bob & Tom Show” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

93.1 El Rey = “Tweety Morning” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

93.9 KPDQ = BLOCK PROGRAMMING [NOT Live from the Portland area]

94/7 = “Greg” [Live from the Portland area]

Live 95.5 = “Nikki West” [Live from the Portland area]

97.1 Charlie FM = “We Play Everything” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

KUPL Country = “Simon In The Morning” [Live from the Portland area]

99.5 The Wolf = “Fitz In The Morning” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

Z100 = “Johnjay & Rich” [NOT Live from the Portland area]

FM News 101 = “Portland’s Morning News” [Live from the Portland area]

101.9 KINK = “The Morning Show” [Live from the Portland area]

K103 = “The K103 Morning Show” [Live from the Portland area]

104.1 The Fish = “Andy Waits” [Live from the Portland area]

105.1 The Buzz = “Cruze In The Morning” [Live from the Portland area]

105.9 The Brew = “Sarge” [Live from the Portland area]

Oldies 106.7 = “Mark & Dave” [Live from the Portland area]

Wild 107.5 = “Kristina” [Live from the Portland area]

saveitnow
    Participant

Some of the FM Shows listed as “Live” are they really? Many parts of some of these shows are voice tracked. That’s not live in my book.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Do you mean the 5:00 A.M. hour? I judged the bulk of the time the air shifts are live.

saveitnow
    Participant

No, 94.7, 98.7, 105.9, & 106.7 have major parts of their shows voice tracked. The “Talent” during these times have other duties at their stations so they voice track portions of their shows to compensate for being unable to be on the air.

Phil Harmonic
    Participant

KNRK 94.7

KUPL 98.7

The Brew 105.9

KLTH/Oldies 106.7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.