The KISN Good Guys are back! (again)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio The KISN Good Guys are back! (again)

This topic contains 51 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

W7PAT
    Participant

“Benson has not had a amateur radio club for quite a few years because of lack of student interest.”

I don’t wonder. What kid wants to talk to a bunch of old guys about weather, far-right politics and health problems?”

As Trustee of W7YK (the Benson station) I have been trying to get the instructor to promote the Amateur station. He insists that there is no interest, but i’m not sure he is even trying. There is a school contest coming up I would like to see Benson get involved in. There are also scholarships available from local ham clubs for students involved in Amateur radio. It’s too bad this instructor chooses not to promote.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

The Benson High School Tech Show is tonight and tomorrow night from 6PM-9PM. Admission is free. The entire school is open to the public. Feel free to talk to students and gauge the amateur radio interest.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Unfortunately, I don’t think kids nowadays have any concept of what Amateur Radio “could be” to them. If they have little to no exposure how can they ever get interested and thus inquire about the hobby? In years past dad’s, grandpa’s, shop teachers, and “Elmers” where the ones who generally nurtured them to the hobby and gave support and encouragement.

Shop teachers did I say? What schools now even have a shop class (perhaps with the exception of Benson)? When I went to HS in the late 60’s to early 70’s we had a wood-shop, metal-shop, electronics, and drafting rotation. At least kids got exposure to other things besides computers….yes, we had computers back then too.

semoochie
    Participant

Why is your username “Gouge”? It sounds painful, as in “gouging one’s eye out”!

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Gouge is a tool used in wood-shop typically on a lathe. Perhaps he just likes the tools functionality…

e_dawg
    Participant

As a benson alumni I wish I can go to the tech show, but in I longer in Portland. I live in San francisco at the moment. I do have memories of the tech show. Speaking of the tech show, should it be in April instead of February?

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Tech Show was moved to February in recent years to be used partially as a recruitment tool. The District deadline for current 8th graders to apply to go to Benson is next week. Tech Show continues to be a big event for alums and their families, industry partners and the general public interested in a career/tech high school.

T Hopkins
    Participant

How did this thread devolve into not being about KISN?

skeptical
    Participant

Welcome to PDXradio.com Mr. Hopkins.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

Yes, welcome Mr. Hopkins! Don’t mind us…sometimes we take flights down somewhat unrelated paths. I’ve been guilty of that from time to time myself. Please, don’t let it scare you off. Being a Benson alum now living in Arizona, I wondered why Tech Show got moved, and now I know.

Allow me to being the thread back to the proper subject…I’m looking forward to hearing KISN again, but obviously I’m out of range of the 2w signal. I’ll depend on the stream, and hopefully it will be extended back to the TuneIn app, so I can go bombing down the Superstition Freeway blaring the Beach Boys and other favorites!

semoochie
    Participant

I listened to KQRZ the other day and noticed that they’re running actual Kisn jingles, not with the call letters edited out, as has been the custom but the actual jingles! This makes me wonder if the Kisn people haven’t made an arrangement with them too. They don’t own either station but is there anything to prevent them from programming both of them? Speaking of KQRZ, has anyone else noticed a similarity to KKRZ? If this format doesn’t work out, maybe they can call themselves Z100! 🙂

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Quite a few weeks ago I noticed on the KQRZ Facebook page that they were partnering up with KISN. So, that makes sense.

semoochie
    Participant

Could this be the real reason for KQRZ’s move to 95.1 or has it been in the works longer than that?

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

I recall, KQRZ wanted to move to 95.1 way before the WORC applied for the LPFM on Mt Scott in the last FCC window.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Unfortunately, the KISN-LPFM kickstarter campaign is not doing very well. So far, they have only raised 29% of their goal of $10,000 with only 34 backers for an average of $85 per backer. At that rate they will need 85 additional backers with only 11 days left in the campaign which began three weeks ago. Fortunately they have until September 24th to actually be on the air. Apparently, there has been next to no P.R. for this. If you google KISN LP Kickstarter you only get hits at the kickstarter page, the good guys radio page, and pdxradio. They need to promote themselves. Really.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goodguyradio-kisn/goodguy-radio-kisn

http://tinyurl.com/o66qejn

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.