The KISN Good Guys are back! (again)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio The KISN Good Guys are back! (again)

This topic contains 51 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

T Hopkins
    Participant

KISN radio is coming back as a low power FM at 95.1 from Mount Scott. This time it will be a Non Commercial Non-Profit, Listener Supported, Community Station in addition to the stream at goodguyradio.com and on mobile devices. To get things going a Kickstarter campaign is being launched to raise funds to get things up and running.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goodguyradio-kisn/

Waynes World
    Participant

95 der ful? how does that work? lol

T Hopkins
    Participant

100,000 watts from Council Crest? Oh how I wish, But not likely at this stage. At least we are on the air and it’s real radio. More than just an internet stream which is what we had before.
    KISN will never be the powerhouse it once was, that’s pretty clear, but there are so many loyal listeners out there that we wanted to bring it back the best way we could. Thanks to the Western Oregon Radio club, we got an FCC license, the KISN-LPFM call letters (First time back in Portland since 1976) and a transmitter. So here we come. We need everyone’s help to make this a go, so spread the word. KISN is back. Ninety-five point one-derful. How’s that?

semoochie
    Participant

I attempted to post this last night but must have forgotten to press “enter”: The link doesn’t work. I also went to the main Kickstarter page, to no avail. I tried to mention about “95.1derful” too. Kisn FM used to refer to 97.1derful.

jr_tech
    Participant

“At least we are on the air and it’s real radio. More than just an internet stream which is what we had before.”

Are you saying that the station is *actually* on the air right now? If so it’s a “no show” for this Dxer in Hillsboro.

<<< Pip, the Dx cat is *only* hearing KSND on 95.1, no matter which direction the FM log-Yagi is pointed.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I checked today when I was at Fred Meyer Johnson Creek (right at the foot of Mt. Scott) and there was nothing on the air.

1.8 watts with three mile interference free coverage isn’t much to talk about. DXing it on the west side will be surprising, since the west hills have always made reception from Mt Scott even at class C power and more height somewhat sketchy, although if you are far enough west it might barely be detectable. Closer in to the hills and I doubt it will even show up as a noisy faint signal. One would think that they would have a better chance of covering some inner SE, but there must be thirty something dBu of KSND there, so forty something dBu of KISN-LP is not going to have the 20 dB margin needed to be listenable. It’s going to be just like trying to listen to KXRY in inner Southeast or downtown, totally hit and miss and unreliable. That’s my guess. If you live within a few miles of Mt. Scott, though, it will be fine.

T Hopkins
    Participant

Pretty good assessment Andy. 95.1 is NOT on the air yet. We are running a kickstarter on Monday to get the necessary funds to put it on. (The link will work then.) We hope to be up by late March. The REAL reason we went FM was the get the terrestrial signal that reduces the cost of music licensing for the stream. Goodguyradio.com will return with streaming to computers and mobile devices. DOA? I don’t think so. Despite the low power, we think it’s COOL that KISN is back in Portland.

skeptical
    Participant

At least they won’t have to deal with the “Vancouver” dilemma anymore and maintain a fake “business office” next to the Kiggins Theatre.

W7PAT
    Participant

“DXing it on the west side will be surprising, since the west hills have always made reception from Mt Scott even at class C power and…”

Andy, once you get on the west side you’ll be able to hear it on KQRZ-LP.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

The Master of Disaster wonders aloud if anybody (involved with this effort or any of the other “we want a signal” efforts) put in an offer for 1640 AM. Currently on the air, 10,000 watts day/1,000 night, and Disney is in the process of unloading the Radio Disney stations.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“once you get on the west side you’ll be able to hear it on KQRZ-LP.”

Oh, are they planning on playing that outdated stuff, too?
    Don’t be mislead, Pat, I’m not now nor was I ever a fan of KISN and outgrew top 40 radio when I was a teenager. I would much prefer to hear original programming, not a repeat of a copy of what went on in New York in the late 50s and early 60’s on WMCA and WABC. I was there and heard it when it was “original.”

LPFM is supposed to be neighborhood radio. Programming that appeals to small fractions of the neighborhood isn’t my idea of best use, but that’s just my opinion. Using the LPFM license to reduce the royalty costs of a streaming service appears to be an alternate agenda, and not what the original application stated:

A PROPOSED PROGRAM SCHEDULE IS AS FOLLOWS:

6:00AM – 9:00AM = LOCAL ORIGINATION NEWS, VARIETY
    9:00AM – NOON = LOCAL ORIGINATION TECH TALK (TECHNOLOGY TALK SHOW)
    NOON – 2:00 = LOCAL ORIGINATION HEALTH INFORMATION (GUEST DOCTORS, MEDICAL NEWS, TALK)
    2:00PM – 5:00PM = LOCAL STUDENTS FROM SCHOOLS PRODUCING OWN RADIO SHOWS
    5:00PM – 7:00PM = NEWS PRODUCED BY LOCAL RESIDENTS
    7:00PM – 10:00PM = LOCAL AMATEUR RADIO SHOW (FOCUSED ON EDUCATING LISTENERS TO RADIO TECHNOLOGY)
    10PM – MID = LOCAL VARIETY

ON WEEKENDS, WE PROPOSE A SIMILAR SCHEDULE WITH THE ADDITION OF PROVIDING A FORUM FOR LOCAL CHURCHES TO PRODUCE PROGRAMMING.

THROUGH COMMUNITY BASED PROGRAMMING, WORC INTENDS TO HAVE LOCAL TEENAGERS PRODUCE RADIO SHOWS SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK. IN ADDITION, WORC INTENDS TO EDUCATE LOCAL CITIZENS OF ALL AGE GROUPS IN LOCAL RADIO PRODUCTION, INCLUDING HAVING THEM PRODUCE NEWS AND TECHNICAL TALK SHOWS.

EDUCATING YOUNGSTERS IN AMATEUR RADIO IS ANOTHER PROGRAMMING GOAL OF THE WORC. THIS WILL EXPOSE MANY YOUNGSTERS TO A POTENTIAL NEW PROFESSION IN TECHNOLOGY WHERE THEY WILL LEARN A GREAT DEAL OF TECHNICAL MATERIAL FROM EXPERIENCED ENGINEERS WHO ARE CLUB MEMBERS. WE PLAN ON HAVING DAILY PROGRAMMING DIRECTED TO AMATEUR RADIO ENTHUSIASTS.

WORC ALSO INTENDS TO DELIVER MANY TALK SHOWS, FOCUSED ON THE ENVIRONMENT, BUSINESS, AND HEALTH MATTERS. DIABETES EDUCATION IS ANOTHER HEALTH PROGRAMMING PLAN THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO PRODUCE.

http://tinyurl.com/ov4wctz

I don’t think Stoneman’s Stream of yesteryear resembles any of the proposed programming laid out in the application submitted to the FCC. Not even close. That stream was put together by former radio professionals some of whom are retired and do not live locally, close to none of whom live in the service area, none are teenagers, none are the least bit interested in learning about radio, amateur or otherwise. Also, in order to get the discounted royalty fee structure, the oldies stream is going to have to play a significant amount of the time, not just a few hours a day. That presents a conflict with the educational statement on the application, IMO.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“The Master of Disaster wonders aloud if anybody (involved with this effort or any of the other “we want a signal” efforts) put in an offer for 1640 AM. Currently on the air, 10,000 watts day/1,000 night, and Disney is in the process of unloading the Radio Disney stations.”

That requires serious money and no one with any radio savvy is going to spend that much and put on the air a low appeal nostalgia format with grey haired voice tracking playing hits of the late 50’s and early 60’s. Portland will not sustain an effort like that. It hasn’t been a viable format here for many years. As popular as KISN may have been in its heyday, that demo is dead (literally). People in the 12 to 35 year old age group in 1965 are now 62 to 85 years old. Young people have little to zero interest in radio altogether and musically have their own set of pop artists which aren’t represented on the “good guys” stream.

No personal attack here, I’m just trying to talk radio common sense. You just can no longer attract a crowd playing a bunch of old hits from that far back. The big guys spend millions of dollars trying to tailor their formats to hit a motherlode of listeners. Dedicating a real radio station like 1640 to ancient pop is not only a fools errand but would be a guaranteed formula for failure.

radiogeek
    Participant

Just curious, how much money would AM 1620 likely fetch, and how much would it cost in tower rent to keep it on the air? Helps put this conversation in perspective.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Radio Disney 1460 WDDY Albany, NY sold for $375,000 in 2013.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/82260/radio-disney-places-stations-on-the-market/

Tower lease cost would depend on what existing site you are looking at and what price you can negotiate. Hopefully, one of the broadcast engineers on this site will chime in.

DarkStar
    Participant

Here’s the correct link to their new Kickstarter campaign…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goodguyradio-kisn/goodguy-radio-kisn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.