The FM DX thread

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    W7PAT
    Participant

Thanks for sharing the video Lastday. I remember a few years ago Camping at Ft. Stevens and driving to the bridge to go to Astoria. I thought I was listening to 98.7 KUPL and when the station ID’ed, it was a station in South Dakota. Fun stuff!

lastday
    Participant

I love this kind of stuff! At first I thought my car radio was on the fubar. Can’t help wondering how the XDR-F1HD that picks up KRVM-HD1 for rebroadcast on KAVE would do with that 91.9 soup if KRVM was strictly analog.

A few years ago I picked up a South Dakota station in Eugene using a directional antenna. Maybe the same one you got. It was around this time of year too.

russell-curry
    Participant

Was in Seaside last week, got some nice FM from our third-floor balcony, using my Sangean Hdr-16:
    Koos-FM, 107.3, North Bend, in solid afternoon and evening July 8, occasionally thereafter.
    Lots of Newport-Lincoln City stuff.
    Lots of Aberdeen area, including community radio at 91.1, and KXRO translator at 101.7, in briefly.
    Big stuff from Seattle like 97.3, in solid though didn’t get into building well.
    South-sound rimshotters even stronger, but 102.9 lagging.
    Portland, not so good.
    Driving over Columbia river bridge at Astoria, also with Hdr-16, 107.7 from Seattle, alternating mono and beautiful stereo.

On AM, at 930, KTKN, Ketchikan AK, good signal.
    At 800, KINY, Juneau AK, in briefly.

jr_tech
    Participant

Any HD lock-in? Perhaps KQOC, 88.1 from Gleneden Beach, or stronger Seattle stations?
    How is the battery life on the HDR-16?

Andy Brown
    Participant

What are the choices in that price range? ($100-$125)

russell-curry
    Participant

I know I was getting Seattle stations on the bridge that were strong enough to lock in, but I don’t know if they were strong enough for long enough.
    There’s a hotspot about 10 miles north of Eugene where it’s trying to lock onto 100.3-hd2, but the signal fluctuates too much.
    Battery life is pretty good, certainly better than my Insignia table-model.
    One thing that’s a bit annoying, and this is my particular radio of course, is when a signal is below the stereo threshhold but still with good quieting, the high-end drops a little, and there can be a little distortion, which is most apparent on the letter S, which can’t always be put down to multipath. Still, the radio has real pull, and no dud frequencies, like I’ve noticed with some DSP radios.

jr_tech
    Participant

This sounds like a decent step up from the Insignia NS-HDRAD I have, which has fairly short battery life on 4 AA cells, and also has several bugs, including the 97.1 bug.

Jay Allen seems to like the Sangean fairly well.

Sangean HDR-16 AM/FM/HD Stereo Radio

There are few choices in the small world of portable HD radios. I also have an Audiovox iHD-TX1, but it has only 1 speaker (stereo is fine, but boomey thorough headphones) and fairly short battery life (3 AA cells)… it looks exactly like this radio:

https://www.amazon.com/SPARC-SHD-TX2-Portable-Speaker-Emergency/dp/B00VIVD7ZU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500429235&sr=8-3&keywords=hd+radio+portable

dialtwirler
    Participant

Translator K240CZ 95.9 Tigard seems to be off the air this morning. I’m picking up KRSX Goldendale WA with CHR format and “95.9 Star FM” IDs. First time heard here.

russell-curry
    Participant

KSLC has generally not reached the freeway very well, even when it had 90.3 to itself, but I remember that for some reason, back around ’86 and ’87, it did much better. I remember listening to KBVR from Eugene to Salem, then KSLC from there almost to Portland. I’ve always wondered what caused the improvement, and why it changed back.

dialtwirler
    Participant

KNRK 94.7 was not broadcasting in HD this morning which allowed me to hear stations on the adjacent channels. I picked up KIOK 94.9 Richland WA IDing as “Everything Country. The Wolf.” Angling the antenna in another direction brought in KUOW-FM 94.9 Seattle with public radio programming. Also heard KLYK 94.5 Kelso WA. All this on an Insignia NS-HDRAD with a built-in whip antenna.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.