The economic fallout will be nothing like we’ve ever experienced

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The economic fallout will be nothing like we’ve ever experienced

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Not a fan of Kate Brown. I voted for Kitzhaber. He should have told everyone to shove it and continue on.

Kate Brown slid into the job. Yes I voted for her in the last election because she was the slightly better shaped cat turd covered in Fresh Step. But, I think she sucks.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Considering the report that two people have re-caught the virus. Does that mean there is no immunity to the virus? If that is the case, we have not seen anything yet. We may need to totally wait until the virus runs its’ course. If it compares to the Spanish Flu in 1918, it took two years for it to go. Can the World be shut for 2 years? I don’t see it. I think we will have to put some back to work, no matter if there are fears. We may have to decide do we save lives or save the economy?

Andrew
    Participant

If people can catch Covid-19 over and over and over again, then we’re probably all fucked – because a vaccine isn’t going to work either. The whole point of a vaccine is to train the immune system to develop antibodies to a virus without actually catching it. You get the antibodies also if you simply catch the virus and get over it.

What seems more likely is that some people take longer to get over Covid-19 than others – their immune system may have seemed to have put the thing away but not really, not quite. That doesn’t mean people are actually catching it twice. Or it could be the first test was a false positive and the person actually didn’t have Covid-19 originally but then has actually caught it.

No vaccine was ever developed for the 1918 flu, because scientists didn’t even realize at the time it was caused by a virus. In fact, one vaccine was developed at the time – but it failed because the vaccine was made for a bacteria, erroneously thought to be the cause of the flu. In 1918, it was not even possible to see a virus – the electron microscope had not yet been developed. Unlike bacteria, viruses are too small to see under a conventional microscope.

Andrew
    Participant

If no vaccine can be developed for Covid-19, then effective treatments will eventually be developed to reduce the death rate. If the death rate can be reduced to about the death rate of the flu, then we can pretty much stop worrying about it – or at least, not worry about it more than we worry about the flu now where tens of thousands of people die from it every year.

Darktemper
    Participant

Hmmmmmm

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

“Fed Chair Says Economic Recovery May ‘Stretch’ Through End of 2021”

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

“Oregon’s coronavirus recession is steepest downturn since Great Depression, state forecasters say”

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/05/oregons-coronavirus-recession-is-steepest-downturn-since-great-depression-state-forecasters-say.html

paulwalker
    Participant

I saw this on Quora today…

“Originally Answered: Will Macy’s go out of business?
    Eventually.

No one can give you an exact date when that will happen, but the closure of so many Macy’s stores, the demise of all but the best managed shopping malls where most Macy’s department stores are located, and the growing intensity of competition from online sites has seriously challenged the longer-term viability of Macy’s business model. There are other factors too, but these will do to start the discussion.”

Anyone want to make a prediction? I don’t wish any large stores to go out of business, but it appears Macy’s is next up. Personal to me, as I grew up shopping with parents at the Bon Marche in the Seattle area, and of course many in Portland at Meier & Frank.

Will it happen this year? 2021? Or will they somehow survive?

Andy Brown
    Participant

They can survive but will they. It appears that they realize their warehouses and inventory coupled with a stronger on line program coupled with less brick and mortar outlets would have a chance, but a lot of stores sit on land they probably own and have to pay property taxes on and others have leases with big monthly rents and late fees. That may be the part that takes them into bankruptcy in order to restructure and get out of debt. I doubt they will disappear altogether.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The retail landscape has been under siege for a few years now all the while we “had” a booming economy. This is the nail in the coffin for all department stores. All of them will file BK. Who emerges from BK is still up for debate. I don’t have high hopes for them.

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.