The Eagle Finally Playing ’90s!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio The Eagle Finally Playing ’90s!

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

I don’t know how long this has been going on. I heard “Crazy” by Aerosmith and saw some others on their playlist. There aren’t very many, say fewer than the amount of ’60s titles but you have to start somewhere.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My first experiences hearing oldies radio were in 1980 with AM 1400 in Concepcion (I do not remember what the station called itself on the air). The music that they were playing was approximately 15-25 years old, according to my mom. Circa 1985, I recall that WLW, which was all oldies, played music that was 15+ years old (the cutoff was roughly the end of the 1960s). Stations that did oldies-themed weekends, such as WTVN with its Hot Wax Weekend and WKBW set the cutoff roughly at 1975 but omitted disco from the playlist.

Thus, I think that we’re hearing a time-stretching effect in how oldies is defined today. If the format still followed the chronological trends that it did when I was growing up, we would be hearing oldies stations incorporating Coldplay, Black Eyed Peas, and Britney Spears into their playlists.

semoochie
    Participant

In 1964, a song from 1963 was called an “oldie”. This was well established in the minds of the listeners but the term was largely dropped sometime before 1970. Ergo, when Oldies stations started popping up, the term was immediately familiar to their core audience and was seen in a positive light. When it came time to move the format further in time, younger people’s only connection with the term is that it described their parents’ music. When this became apparent, they hijacked the often used but not official term, “Classic Hits”, which had up to that point(and still is sometimes), been used to describe a rock based hit song format, sans currents. At this point, any songs heard from prior to about 1978 are not there to bring back memories of when they were new but rather are ingrained on the psyche from a young age with the only memory being hearing them as oldies. As such, there’s only so far into the future that can go and these songs will drop away, one by one, until eventually, they’ll all be gone, replaced by later songs, from another era. “Classic Rock” should be in the same boat but for some reason, many of the earlier songs still hold appeal for a younger, dare I say, YOUNG audience! The format that became “Classic Hits” replaced “Oldies about 16 years ago after the latter had remained static for almost that long. I’m surprised this didn’t happen eight years ago, by removing everything before 1972. That year would now be 1980. It’s a testament to the multi-generational staying power of more than a handful of songs! The Eagle is behind the curve by several years in adding ’90s. I’m really surprised that it took this long and they’ve barely started!

paulwalker
    Participant

As a ‘72 early teen I remember a Seattle station, KUUU at 1590 went oldies. The music was mostly 60’s. So this would be like a station today calling 2010 to 2018 in the same manner. Of course the era was different and the music genres that were popular were changing quickly.
    The point is if today’s situation were to be true back then 1972 oldies stations would have been playing songs from the 1930’s and 1940’s.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Technology prevented that paradigm to be realized. When long playing albums made their debut in the ’50s, it was almost all new music. Stuff from the ’30s and ’40s didn’t get pressed until later. Very different than any other decade/era. I worked at a station that had been on the air since 1923 under the same ownership, and they had all that old music . . . on 78s. The Russcos only did 45s and 33s, and it was pre-cassette. The only way to air that stuff was too long winded to bother (dub to reel and then to cart), but the truth is that old stuff was better music/art than a lot of the stuff they were pushing on LPs in the 50s. My point being that technology and availability used to be a central ingredient to radio formats until 45s/33s and carts were in the mix. Not so much anymore. Now it’s just about how much money you want to spend. Most stations trust outside services to put together “oldies packages” of music for them. How dull. Even worse than Top 40.

boisebill
    Participant

Classic Rock “The Eagle” in Boise’s been playing the hell out of Crazy for a long time. Bunch of other 90’s stuff.

W7PAT
    Participant

Next, they’ll be play rap. 🙁

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I said a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie
    To the hip hip-hop, and you don’t stop
    The rock it to the bang-bang, boogie say “up jump”
    The boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Now, what you have here is not a test, I’m rapping to the beat
    And me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet
    See I am Wonder Mike and I’d like to say “hello”
    To the black, to the white, the red and the brown, the purple and yellow
    But first I gotta bang bang the boogie to the boogie
    Say “up jump” the boogie to the bang-bang boogie
    Let’s rock, you don’t stop

semoochie
    Participant

From what is that?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

“Rapper’s Delight” by The Sugarhill Gang (1979)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.