The drumpf disaster gets under way soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The drumpf disaster gets under way soon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

When drumpf’s presidency begins to unravel (beginning January 21) it will come as no surprise to the large majority of American voters, the ones that did not vote for this egocentric bombastic son of a bitch but please take note: There is a bigger threat to your freedom and they have more power then drumpf does and they are known as the Republican Party. They are coming for your medicare, medicaid and social security. They are anxious to continue to legislate scorch the earth policies now that there is no Obama to block them. They are willing to let the banks and Wall St. interests run roughshod over any notion of rules or fair play. Republicans love war as it generates a path for government money to flow to their pockets. Republicans have always been poor stewards of the economy so expect not only war, but deep recession. I hope I’m wrong, but I won’t be the least bit surprised as the country’s economy goes to hell in a hand basket. And drumpf will have to work fast as the voters that wanted him in office aren’t going to be patient when they see everything they wanted to change indeed changing but in the wrong direction.

Now the stupid contingent will say ‘You aren’t even giving the guy a chance’ to which I respond he hasn’t earned a chance. His campaign was an international embarrassment for America. His lies just since being elected are glowingly obvious. He’s alienated even a few Republicans, but the majority of the GOP is standing by to manufacture bullets and bombs and line their pockets. They don’t care about the general economic welfare of the middle class or the poor. They know how to lie, too, and they will say they DO care but history says they will drive the country into a bad recession. That is what Republicans do.

Andrew
    Participant

When Trump won the election, I assumed we were in for an awful four years. Some terrible laws will be passed and signed, and some bad people will be appointed to government, etc. The courts are jacked probably for 20-30 years.

Elections have consequences, and we lost.

But I for one refuse to wallow in the misery of Trumpland, because there’s almost zero I can do to change it for at least two if not four or eight years. So why should I worry about it?

I’ve already unfollowed a dozen or more Facebook friends who can’t seem to get enough of, “Ohmygod, can you believe he said THIS?” posts and articles. Sorry, I have zero interest in that stuff. If you want to wallow, feel free.

All I care about is what I can do to change it in 2-4-8 years. Anything else is just a waste of time.

paulwalker
    Participant

Except, Trump is a closet Democrat. He has backed off many of his campaign issues. He will do what he needs to do to protect himself. Just watch how this all goes down…he will have no fans from the GOP, and no fans from the Dems, and the result will be…(fill in the blank)

edselehr
    Participant

paulwalker, Trump knows what side his bread is buttered on. If he could have conned the left as easily as he conned the right, he would have run as a Democrat. But he didn’t, and his fan base is rabidly right-wing, and Congress is Tea Party infused…so he has to play to the right.

Because he knows, deep down, he is in over his head. He ran as a publicity stunt, saying anything and everything he felt he needed to say in order to “Win!” – and now he’s President. Hell, he doesn’t want to be bothered with PDB’s, Secret service protocols, or even the inconvenience of living in the White House.

He has to survive a year or two in order to assuage his own ego, and he’ll play to the Republican leaders in Congress in order to make them happy and keep his job safe. But by 2018, I believe he will have either 1) done enough egregiously bad things (or one incredibly stupid thing) that Congress can no longer ignore his malfeasance, or 2) he will have grown bored with the job or maxed out it’s profit-generating potential, and resigns.

Especially if left leaning Americans stand up and take back one or more houses of Congress in the midterms, that will put the brakes on Trump and he’ll likely just up and quit. Once he’s no longer getting anything out of it, why should he stay?

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, agreed. Trump will suffer big losses in congress in 2018, unless his let to be determined coat-tails come through, (unlikely).

I think Trump will fail on many fronts, both in the 2018 congressional elections, and in 2020. However, I don’t think he will even last through his first term.

Andrew
    Participant

One of my 2017 New Years resolutions is to stop making predictions about politics! Because like most of you, I have a pretty poor track record at being right. So why even bother?

I have no idea if Republicans will suffer big losses in 2018 or not. (The president’s party doesn’t always lose seats in Congress- see: 1998 and also 2002 mid-terms.) I have no idea if Trump will flounder or act as a Democrat or as a Republican or neither. Maybe because expectations for him are so incredibly low now, he has nowhere to go but up. And he’s the first president since 1989 not to inherit a recession – so he probably has more freedom to flex his political muscles than other new presidents, with other big worries, have been able to.

So why even speculate? Let’s just see what happens – because there’s not much we can do about it at this point anyway, right? I sure hope he is out of power soon and that Republicans collapse in the next four years, etc., etc., but just because I desire it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Vitalogy
    Participant

If one looks at the cyclical nature of things like the Dow, unemployment, etc, Trump is entering his term at a peak of both. What are the chances things will get EVEN better than they are now? Once the new year starts, watch out for the Dow to drop as traders take their profits as the new year starts.

If the stats worsen, then Trump will take the blame.

And let’s not forget interest rates and the cost of gas. These two items mean Trump voters pay more to live.

In fact, as a liberal, I’m embracing the “you broke it you buy it” corporate policy because when you’re in 100% control, you take 100% of the blame.

edselehr
    Participant

I also have no incentive to make too many predictions about politics, especially since political prognostication died on November 8th. But I do know that Trump is a man-child that bores quickly unless he is the center of attention receiving the adulation of those around him, or marking his territory with multimillon-dollar projects bearing his name. When those two things disappear (and I do predict that they will during his presidency, because if they don’t then America is truly screwed) Trump will move on of his own accord.

EDIT ADD: Vit, that’s the one thing that all good liberals should be sure and do – make the right and Trump completely own the next few years. Though (another prediction, sorry) I think Trump’s first presidential disaster will be blamed on the Clintons.

Andrew
    Participant

Yes, the next economic collapse is coming – but when? Before 2020 or after? Or too soon before?

Reagan took office in 1981 with a shaky economy – high interest rates, high unemployment…but it got a lot worse with a bad recession that same year. It happened early enough in his term that it could be blamed on Carter But by 1984, the economy seemed to have recovered, and of course Reagan sailed to re-election.

If the economy collapses in mid-2017, Trump will just blame Obama, and voters may agree with him. But if it collapses in 2019 or 2020…history shows the incumbent president is probably toast in the next election.

Andrew
    Participant

I don’t know if Trump would resign if not faced with a Nixon-like impeachment. Wouldn’t he just delegate more tasks if he got bored? As president, he can be as disengaged and uninvolved as he wants to be. There’s no more prestigious job in the world than President of the United States. Somehow, resigning makes you look like a quitter.

edselehr
    Participant

Andrew, I’m doubtful that Trump will run again. He knows his win is a fluke, and not likely reproducible. And he’ll be 74 (though admittedly younger than Biden, who is thinking about a 2020 run). I doubt the GOP is planning seriously for a Trump 2020 campaign.

edselehr
    Participant

He can certainly become disconnected if he chooses, but the presidency still bears his name, and his legacy seems important to him. Just like Nixon, who preferred a relatively honorable resignation to a humiliating (and revealing) impeachment proceeding.

And who thinks that Trump isn’t going to do something unconstitutional or impeachable within the first year? The only thing protecting him is a complicit Congress. (NOTE today’s news about Congress gutting the independent Congressional Ethics Office, putting it under the control of the House Ethics Committee. The complicity begins.)

paulwalker
    Participant

Trump will not fill out his first term. Mark my words.

edselehr
    Participant

I kind of agree with you paulwalker, mostly because I don’t think Trump really wants to.

Andrew
    Participant

Resigning makes you look like a failure. Nixon did it only because the alternative – being impeached and probably convicted and removed – was a lot worse for his “legacy.” I again can’t really imagine why Trump would resign unless, like Nixon, it was a necessity.

The only other scenario I can imagine Trump resigning would be if there was some perceived moment of triumph – like either of the two Bush’s high moments right after the Iraq wars or something – and he could claim to want to go out on top. But it still seems unlikely to me. If things were bad, why resign? They could get better before you go.

Who knows if he would want to run again? He was already quoted once in the last few weeks talking about “the next eight years” – something first term presidents usually don’t presume to do. (Most at least pretend they “haven’t decided whether to run again” until they need to announce.)

Again – why even make such predictions at all? What’s the point? Have you all been so correct in your previous predictions? I sure haven’t, and I doubt any of you have a much better average than I do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.