The demise of Talk radio in 1974 (KLIQ)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History The demise of Talk radio in 1974 (KLIQ)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I assumed that in the KATU simulcast, the audio and video were both delayed. Is my assumption incorrect–that is, was the picture live and only the audio was delayed?

BORTZY
    Participant

To Mark Andrews and to all wanting to know the inside secrets to the 8 second delay…here it is! I will preface this by saying that I was hired by Dave Jacks back in 72 or 73 fresh out of PCC broadcasting college. Dave asked me if I was “any good” I just responded “no”. He said your hired. He explained of the pending sale and such, but I was happy for even a short term job and he did not want a “hotshot”. OK…the Delay…easy,peasy…everything was on tape…a large tape(CART) on ONE 8 second loop. I engineered (produced) these shows in the 1972 – 1973 era and hitting and breaking away from 2 separate news feeds (AM and FM…top of hour AM 15 after FM news.

BORTZY
    Participant

Anyway..it was an adventure in broadcasting. kind of like throwing a pass…with airtime in order to time out to a stationary object (network feed) It was a mind-f#ck for a young kid out of college but I learned fast.

BORTZY
    Participant

As far as anything else being delayed…It would make no sense to delay ANYTHING but the audio. The only reason for a delay is swearing and such. I guess this secret was revealed…LOL. I did not read all the posts.

semoochie
    Participant

Welcome to the board! Right after you post, you’ll notice an edit button next to the time. If you click on it, you can add and subtract information at will. It’s only available for a short period after posting.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.