The demise of Talk radio in 1974 (KLIQ)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History The demise of Talk radio in 1974 (KLIQ)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    silverdollar
    Participant
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

One of the great Doug Baker columns!

Doug Baker was KLIQ’s first talk show host beginning on January 5, 1966. Baker had been doing talk at KWJJ previously before the format change to Country on 3-1-65. KLIQ changed format to Big Band on August 12, 1974.

semoochie
    Participant

At some point, KLIQ switched back to Talk. I’m not sure when that was. I don’t believe they were quite as successful the second time around.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

Exactly when that happened I’m not sure, but the AM was back to talk when I returned to KLIQ in November of 1970; the AM and FM were separately programmed at this time, IIRC. KLIQ-FM was running the Town & Country format they switched to when KLIQ dumped talk the first time in the latter part of 1969. Doug Baker wrote a column on that, too, quoting from Dave Jack’s editorial as to why the format change took place.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Right! KLIQ AM/FM dropped the Talk format for a time on November 3, 1969 after extremists intimidated advertisers. Dave Jack’s wife & children were threatened, as were KLIQ Talk hosts with hate mail & telephone call campaigns. AM/FM switched to what was known as “Country Click” (Portland’s first FM Country station). KLIQ AM came back to Talk Radio on October 1, 1970 but this time as Talk, Instructional & Public Affairs in format scope, to circumvent extremists. Country programming continued on “KLIQ-FM 92” until September 1, 1971 when the format switched to a simulcast of KLIQ’s Talk format.

silverdollar
    Participant

What frequency was KLIQ-FM? Have zero recall of that! Thx for info Craig

Craig_Adams
    Participant

92.3 Mhz.

semoochie
    Participant

Well, it must have been the third time then. This was probably the late 70s.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Yes! On March 13, 1980 KLIQ dumped “The Sound of The 40’s” and returned to Talk Radio for a third try. On May 3, 1982 the station dropped local talkers for ABC TalkRadio Network hosts.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Doug Baker – besides San Francisco’s Herb Caen, wrote THE best newspaper column in the country. I didn’t know Baker also did radio. I wonder what time his shift was on KLIQ and if his radio show was as entertaining as his newspaper column?

semoochie
    Participant

I’d say that Doug Baker’s radio show from the Hoyt Hotel was almost as well known as his Oregon Journal column!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Dan: The “Doug Baker Telephone Show” was on Noon to 1 weekdays when it debuted on KLIQ in 1965. By 1966: Noon to 1:30. In 1967-68: 10:15 to Noon. 1969: 11:30am to 1:30pm.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

I think Doug did a half-hour phone-in show on KATU during their independent days for a few weeks, too…I want to say it aired around 7:30 or 8pm once a week. (Sorry, can’t remember what day of the week!) He used the receiver to block the camera’s view of his mouth when talking to callers to keep from driving viewers crazy, since they ran a delay on the phone calls. *How* they technically achieved that I have no idea…

Alfredo_T
    Participant

*How* they technically achieved that [an audio & video profanity delay] I have no idea…

They might have had two open-reel video recorders next to each other, with the tape running between the two of them. This technique was also employed for special effects purposes in the late 1960s/early 1970s era.

gotoutlongago
    Participant

When I was ther in 70 and 71 we actually use a CART 7 second delay was a large type cart and there were several spares, with replacements lodaded daily. Before that we used a ReVoc reel to reel with the head cover off and a pully mounted on th rack above it that you would thread the tape over to create the delay (also 7 seconds).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.