The decline in U.S. life expectancy is unlike anything we've seen in a century

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The decline in U.S. life expectancy is unlike anything we've seen in a century

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

missing_kskd
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am surprised by the way that these types of statistics work. The change in average life expectancy is only 0.1 year, but this is considered significant because it is seen as part of the trend. Yet, there are regional life expectancy variations that are much greater (I would not have expected Hawaii to be the life expectancy leader).

The stereotypes of bullied teenagers committing suicide also doesn’t hold up that well to the data. The most likely group to commit suicide is men 75 and older. Men are least likely to commit suicide when they are between 15 and 24. The song “Jeremy,” though it may have related a real event, was the exception rather than the rule. I guess that if some old fogey kills himself, nobody cares, and a hit song is not written about it.

In general, men commit suicide at a rate about 4:1 that of women. Women aged 15-24 are near the bottom in terms of suicide rates; the only demographic less likely to commit suicide is women over 75.

Chico
    Participant

In general, men commit suicide at a rate about 4:1 that of women.

Yeah, I have known very few women who were suicide risks, but a whole bunch of them that were carriers.

Bada Bing. Hey-ooooooo!

mwdxer1
    Participant

From a medical standpoint, with the increase in Vaping, smoking, drugs, booze, poor eating habits, etc. The report does not surprise me. If anything, I am surprised the report isn’t worse.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

After having visited Hawaii twice, I am more than surprised that it has the highest average life expectancy. Obesity is common in Hawaii, and SPAM is an important part of the local cuisine.

semoochie
    Participant

The link shows the graph.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.