The Amazing Tesla Cyberturd!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

It’s futuristic! It’s indestructable! It’s bulletproof!

“That must be why we’re not shipping Windows 98 yet…”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Forgive my ignorance–I had long thought that side windshield glass was designed to crumble on impact so that if the doors become jammed in an accident, occupants still have a way to escape the vehicle. There are car escape tools, meant to be kept in the glove compartment, that include a seat belt cutter and a glass-shattering hammer.

lastday
    Participant

Tesla has 250,000+ preorders for the Cybertruck. Laugh at that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

lastday
    Participant

What itโ€™s like to ride inside the Cybertruck.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

If we’ve seen anything from the prototype, it’s that the American auto industry has hit total rock-bottom as body design is concerned. Assuming that design makes it to production, I can’t imagine anybody deliberately wanting to be seen in such a boxy-ass thing and not being embarassed.

But then, a lot of us were saying that same thing (and still are) about 20 years ago when civilian HMVs became trendy.

Unless, their goal is to be scoffed at and scorned by others they have to share intersections with. Image is a major part of the late gen Y/millennial/early gen Z lifestyle. The “irony” of owning and driving a car that will set records as the most hideous American motor produced to date may be considered desirable amongst them. Who knows. The millennials (and its hipster subgeneration) are a really odd group to sort out.

I had long thought that side windshield glass was designed to crumble on impact so that if the doors become jammed in an accident, occupants still have a way to escape the vehicle. There are car escape tools, meant to be kept in the glove compartment, that include a seat belt cutter and a glass-shattering hammer.

They are, especially if the objective is to gain Department of Transportation compliance and be highway-legal in the USA. Same with side impact crumple zones, projector headlights (e.g. a H4 in a reflector assembly), rear-view and flat/convex side-view mirrors and rear-windshield brake light. The allegedly “bulletproof” windows and side armor plating are direct violations of these requirements. Older cars can get away with lacking at least a couple of those features as they’re covered under grandfather exemptions.

Unless Elon or somebody else at Te$la manages to get their way with the DOT and get those requirements severely relaxed or dropped (or at least get an exemption for that model — yeah, good luck), there’s no way it’ll be considered road-legal here. There’s nothing stopping Tesla from manufacturing them, but they couldn’t legally be sold to the public as anything other than “for offroad use only”, much as how some types of military vehicles are in the surplus market — i.e. tow it to the trailhead with your F350 and go from there.

Hmmm. I wonder if Tesla will produce an optional road kit like some companies make to convert offroad dirt bikes (e.g. motocrossers) to quasi-road-legal multisport bikes? They would almost have to unless major changes are made to the design, assuming they haven’t over the past year or so.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.