The coming inferno – plus 100 degree weather

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things The coming inferno – plus 100 degree weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Dan Packard
    Keymaster

I just read the overview from meteorologist’s Cliff Mass excellent weather blog. Incredible heat on the way,

An Historical Heat Wave with Record-Breaking Temperatures over the Northwest

Frosty wishes to all. ❄️ ⛄

lastday
    Participant

My ancient heat pump (which can also cool) is scheduled to be replaced July 6th. Crossing my fingers that it doesn’t crap out before then.

paulwalker
    Participant

114 forecasted in Tri Cities Monday. Probably will set my ac on 82.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I heard tonight on KGW 8 that Portland is headed for at least 109!!! With a low of 75!!!. I am glad I live on the coast. Even here, parts of the coast may hit near 90. That is hot for us. Lincoln County will be the coolest place in the 70s.

paulwalker
    Participant

Global warming?

No is my first response. But record highs do make one wonder…

I do think these things are cyclical. We will likely see cold spells again in our lifetimes.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

104 Saturday. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.65806&lon=-122.58448&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=text&TextType=1

I’m looking forward to it. Gonna throw my gear on the back of the bike, hit the beach, throw a sheet on the ground, slip on a speedo then flop out and do fuck all the whole afternoon.

No work, no politics and not a care in the damn world except maybe sunburn.

I honestly don’t know what everybody’s got themselves all worked up about unless the right-wing owned corporate mass media have yet again trained all the good little sheep into a panic. This area’s not a stranger to 100-degree weather. It’s not a big deal. It’s fucking SUMMER, people! That’s what happens this time of year! Get out for a little while and do something about your vitamin D deficiency!

semoochie
    Participant

Much to my surprise, we finally hit 108 awhile back, something I discovered several years later! It had been 107 about four times before that and at the time, I thought that was another instance of it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My main concern isn’t so much about the hot temperatures as it is about dry conditions and wildfires.

Beating the heat indoors can be as simple as putting some cold water in the bathtub and jumping in. Whether indoors or outside, be sure to drink plenty of water. If outside, protect your skin from UV with sunscreen and a hat.

Andy Brown
    Participant

What concerns me the most is power failure. After that the air quality should wildfires get out of hand.

mwdxer1
    Participant

At least Pacific Power claims to be on top of this and has enough to keep the power on.

mwdxer1
    Participant

They have re-vamped the forecast for Astoria. Sunday it looks like 90 with a low both Sat & Sun nights of 64. So even out here, it will be a bit too warm for us.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Now NOAA upped Astoria temp to 92 on Sunday.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Every action helps. The latest draft UN climate report and things we can do to make a difference. From Thursday’s PBS Newshour,

lastday
    Participant

The old all-time record high temp of 108 in Eugene was broken today. Local media claims 111. My 2 thermometers (on north side in shade) recorded 109. The decrepit heat pump I have is maintaining 77 inside the house. Can’t complain about that.

Chico
    Participant

Good luck, lastday! May the Trane gods be smiling upon you for another week!

Nosignal- I assume you are perhaps in your 20s? Since PDX has the 3rd lowest AC market penetration of all major metros, the concern isn’t about guys like you, but rather your parents and especially grandparents. They lack your metabolism and can easily roast and die. This is not about sheep – this is about legitimate concern for others in your community and understanding the science of heat related death. Which is sort of the same DNA as to why younger folks should get the vaccine…not so much for them as it is for their family members.

BTW, the lowest AC market penetration metro is Seattle, then San Francisco. Not shocking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.