The Bruce Jenner Interview

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    duxrule
    Participant

That was an amazing two hours. I went in thinking that it was going to be another publicity stunt, came out then other side with a completely different understanding of who he his and what he’s going through. It will now be interesting to see how the world now allows Jenner/Her to live.

johnlaw
    Participant

I agree – I thought this would just be more fuel for late night comics – when it was done I was thinking man, didn’t see that coming. His honesty – sense of humor and grace about everything was striking. The numbers showed ABC more than doubled their typical 20/20 ratings – from 6-7 million to 17 million. I figured I’d check it out for the first 30 minutes or so. My wife and I watched the whole thing. Gave up Hawaii 5-0 & Blue Bloods and didn’t miss them. His story isn’t done yet. But I can’t help but wonder how the accident in Malibu will play out. From what I’ve seen so far – it looks like it was pretty much his fault. Time will tell.

RobP
    Participant

While Jenner’s struggle is no doubt real, the spectacle behind it (including the new series on “E!” chronicling the change) IS a cheap publicity stunt. Which is not surprising coming from someone in the family famous for being famous.

paulwalker
    Participant

I tend to side with Rob here. While I can completely accept what Bruce is going through and what he has been going through, the fact that this is making news is mostly due to the “Keeping Up” franchise, for better or worse, a very popular reality show.

There seems to be an underlying promotion going on here, and one that will get a lot of tv time. Again, I have nothing against trans-gender folks, but this one seems a bit on the “carnival” side of the agenda. As in, how can we milk this for more money?

Reality TV is usually not real. How could it be, with cameras following every move you make?

That being said, I only wish Jenner well. I believe him when he says he is transitioning to female, and that is OK, but the circumstances of this are just a wee bit suspect.

skeptical
    Participant

Rob sez: “Which is not surprising coming from someone in the family famous for being famous.”

Yeah, the Olympics decathlon gold medal and Wheaties thing is an insignificant factor here.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I watched the entire program, and I was left with the impression that Jenner is somewhat bitter. There was a part toward the end where he was asked whether he believed that his (deceased) father would have supported him in his transgender struggle and the choked-up non-verbal response hinted to me that Dad would not have been very understanding.

Despite having watched the whole interview, I still do not feel that I could ever fully appreciate what Bruce Jenner is has been going through. On an intellectual, very non-emotional level, I can see that in the 1970s, the country was celebrating him as a very macho hero who single-handedly defeated Communism (in a symbolic sense). However, he didn’t feel that was “him,” but he was trapped in that he couldn’t share that secret with anybody at the time.

Broadway
    Participant
    Amus
    Participant

There is nothing surprising about that.

Question is;

Why should we care about a conservative view of him?

What I find appalling is that he came out as a Conservative Christian!

What a sick bastard!

Vitalogy
    Participant

Bruce Jenner is a human being who’s being honest.

The sick and delusional are those that would critcize him.

I’ll admit I don’t know much about the current Bruce Jenner. I know him as the Olympic hero and Wheaties guy. I don’t know the Kardiashians, other than from the OJ trial.

After watching the special, he came off as being sincere and not someone who is “cashing in”. I think more than anything the reason for the show is part of him doing what he needs to do, and if it helps educate people, so be it. I know I learned a few things watching.

skeptical
    Participant

Broadway said “A conservative view…”

Nobody asked for the conservative view. But since you felt in necessary to dump that poopy pile of hate in this thread, let me respond to your actions: You’re a sick fuck.

Think about that. Millions of Christians go through their entire life without being called a sick fuck. But not you. For some reason you find it neccessary to bring unwanted hatred into Christianity. Why?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In a culture like that of France, where debate on current events is valued (but has certain protocols that must be followed if one is to be taken seriously), a fellow like this Matt Walsh would be ridiculed. The French would corner him into taking the issue personally, leading him to deliver a passionate plea, as he does in this piece. The French would then label his reaction as typical American naivete. I am embarrassed for Matt Walsh.

My source for the above observation was the following cultural primer for students planning to study in French universities:

http://faculty.georgetown.edu/spielmag/docs/france/primer.htm

Therein, we find the following:

Politics, religion and other “controversial” domains are not only acceptable as discussion topics, they are in fact preferred to amiable social banter; even the discussion of sports and movies will be intellectualized to a level not commonly sanctioned in American culture. Being unable or unwilling to address such topics, or to reach the appropriate level of complexity in discussing them, will provoke thinly veiled contempt from your interlocutors….Americans, when they do enter in a debate, tend to get emotionally involved in the cause they are defending, which leads to earnest, impassioned pleas for this or that principle. The French find this attitude amusingly naive, and will often bait American into heated discussions on controversial topics, only to make fun of them when they take the game too seriously and lose all critical distance from their own arguments.

Broadway
    Participant

Gotta love Skep…and God loves you to!

Vitalogy
    Participant

God loves the 9/11 hijackers too.

skeptical
    Participant

While Broadway continues his wanton destruction of kids lives (and deaths) in his wake, Laverne Cox ZEROS IN on the primary benefit of Jenner coming out — saving lives!

While I loath at the idea of reality show partipicants becoming “role models”, in this case however, Jenner is going to do a heck of a lot of good for trans kids. He’ll be able to offset the damage done by Broadway-style human haters hiding behind a merit badge from God.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/bruce-jenner-will-save-peoples-lives-by-coming-out-as-trans-says-laverne-cox-10206281.html

skeptical
    Participant

Broadway, another trans death caused by ignorant people like you. Pat yourself on the back, because she jumped off a bridge (a bridge, just like I said they do in this very forum many, many times). Another great accomplishment for you in the name of your God. Hurrah!

A young trans woman has killed herself after being attacked online.

Rachel Bryk, 23, jumped off the George Washington Bridge, the bridge between New York and New Jersey, on Thursday night (23 April)

An eyewitness is believed to have seen the young woman leave her purse on the bridge and jump off into the Hudson River.

Bryk’s body has still not been recovered. A funeral will be planned when her body is found.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/trans-woman-23-kills-herself-after-being-attacked-online270415#sthash.jcThC57T.wWekWPMR.dpuf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.