The Big Swing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    johnlaw
    Participant

Let’s call this taking my big swing. I realize it may be outside the box and if so, I apologize and the site administrator is welcome to take me out back and rough me up. Just not in the face. Here’s the bottom line. I’ve recently semi-retired from the real estate and the financial fields. While not my passion, those jobs provided a stable income and benefits. Had to do what I had to do for my growing family. Now it’s time for me. I’m looking for  an opportunity to get involved in the tv/film industry doing most anything behind the camera the law allows and won’t get me in trouble with my wife. For what its worth I do  have six years of broadcast experience having slugged my way up to the Seattle market. Full disclosure, this was awhile ago – but during this time I was also able to pick up freelance video production experience with a major utility in Seattle. This involved assisting in audio, teleprompter and camera work over the course of several shoots. If this blatant plea to consider someone way outside the box should reach someone who knows someone – I’d very much appreciate the chance to speak with them. email: johnlaw909@gmail.com    My thanks, John Lawson  

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

^^^—- E-mail address in the open!

Go nutz, spambots!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have two questions.

1) In a previous version of this forum, there used to be a feature that allowed registered participants to send private messages. The messages would be forwarded to an e-mail address hidden in the participant’s profile. Not having a feature like that available, it used to be customary to alter e-mail addresses so that humans could still read them (say, by replacing “@” with “at” or “.” with “dot”) but so that the spambots would, hopefully, not be able to detect them. Does that strategy still work, or have the spambots become too sophisticated?

2) Over 10 years ago, I was in for a shock regarding how different the world of professional TV is from the world of cable access television (where most of the labor is volunteer and the equipment is largely second-hand). At the time, I learned (on this board) that TV studios have not used floor directors for decades and (from a paid employee at a cable access facility) that TV cameras at commercial broadcast facilities are often controlled by robots. As he put it, “today, if you try to hire a camera operator, you’ll get some guy with a joint hanging out of his mouth.”

My question is as follows–the broadcast world has become increasingly automated since that era in which I thought that further automation wasn’t possible. The people at the controls for local newscasts now sit at a control center at corporate headquarters, rather than next to the local station’s news studio. What could John expect if he were to try to re-enter the world of television and video production? Would he have to re-learn everything from “square one?”

johnlaw
    Participant

ok- so now I’m a little spooked…this there a method to delete this message and I can re-entry with the provision that I’ll keep an eye on any feedback I may see in this chain. I’m not trying to cause any ‘issues’ here — just looking to see if the collective smart/experienced people could provide a possible avenue for me to pursue. Thought it was worth taking a shot. Could be wrong?

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

There is plenty of video production happening, just not in Television. There are production companies left and right producing for the web, many of them small upstarts. There are also lots of recently graduated Multimedia students looking for their first paying gig, and/or starting their own businesses.

paulwalker
    Participant

johnlaw, I feel like I know your name from somewhere. WSU? KING broadcasting? Not real sure.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your post, though. If your email blows up, just move it all to junkmail, or delete the account. Really no harm comes from offering an email. Email is a treasure trove of BS at the end of the day.

You can always contact Dan, the owner of this site if you have further concerns.

Notalent
    Participant

As mentioned above, Video production work is out there, just not in broadcasting. TV is now shedding people like radio did a decade ago. Look to craigslist and sites like indeed using video production as a search. Most all colleges and many large corporate entities have video production work going on in some form, either in house, or through a “crewing entity” that staffs people to set up and operate equipment on location. I’m not familiar any more with the PDX market but would assume OHSU, PSU, NIKE, Intel, Blazers, Timbers, Hops, etc all have video production work going on all of the time. In Seattle, MS, Amazon, Google, Boeing, UW, SU, SCC, plus sports, etc. Live sports is much bigger in Seattle of course. The cable PEG channels also hire production crews. Good Luck!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Notalent.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Notalent.
    johnlaw
    Participant

Thanks so much, I do appreciate the feedback. Understand TV is going the way Radio did. Sad, but it is what it is. On top on that – I’m trying this at this stage of my life? What am I thinking? Guess the plus is that I don’t need it to be full-time as its not my only income. Still long shot I know. All I can do is try. Thanks again.

johnlaw
    Participant

ps to my last, to Paul — really more of Husky. After going through the Mt. Hood Radio Program (and now
    its going away???) I worked on the Oregon Coast and Sun Valley, ID for a couple of years. Moved back to Seattle with plans to finish up my Bachelors degree at UofW – while attending classes — I dropped off an old air-check to a station just for fun and was offered a job! Had a decision to make and left school and slapped on the headphones again. Worked there for 4 years. Sometimes wonder if I made the right call. But met my future wife (was club DJ on the weekends in Seattle, so you can meet the love of your life in a bar) – married now for 35 plus years and raised two great kids. So I got that part right, anyway.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

There is a way to edit your posts even after the edit period has “expired”. How and why is a closely guarded secret known only to an exclusive few even though “how” is hidden in plain sight right there in your web browser (hint: look at your URL bar) and isn’t terribly hard to figure out. Remember that this is WordPress so there is usually one loophole or another that you can exploit to get around nearly any UI “restriction” if you look for it.

That’s what true hacking is all about. Figuring out how to get around the established ways of the system to make it work the way YOU need it to, instead of manipulating yourself to fit the will of the system.

paulwalker
    Participant

Johnlaw, radio is and has always been a small world. I think I recognize the name simply because you worked in radio in the Northwest. Perhaps I received an aircheck from you at some point? 🙂 I can’t keep track of that stuff, and I can’t keep track of who I have sent airchecks to! Such is life in radio.

semoochie
    Participant

No Signal, you would make a fine addition to the White House. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.